The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NEWS ONLY] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Rumours and Reports, with warnings issued to those not following this)

“@DarrenDreger: Luongo rumor to Toronto won't fade. Burke wanted him bad and Nonis will push as well, but Canucks insist other teams are in play.”

@DarrenDreger: Canucks want quality return for Lou and can see him working well with Schneider throughout the shortened season if right deal isn't there.

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74

Interesting Flyers in Luongo rumors now. Reliable source told me prior to Burke firing they would be 3rd team in a 3-way trade for Lou to TO

I believe that would only be the most logical thing for the Canucks and Leafs to be trading partners is via another team - and who better to jump in than Holmgren!

TOR

Luongo, Raymond, Read, draft picks (which Nonis will use at deadline to deal if necessary to get into playoffs)

Van

Gardiner, Bozak, Couturier

Philly

Reimer, Edler, Holzer, and 1st

SPORTSNET.CA/ESPN.COM: Mark Spector and Pierre LeBrun cite sources claiming Brian Burke’s unwillingness to swing a trade for Roberto Luongo was the last straw for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which fired Burke yesterday and replaced him as Leafs GM with assistant GM Dave Nonis. It’s believed Burke was leery about taking on the remaining ten years of Luongo’s twelve-year contract (at an average cap hit of $5.33 million per season). Spector predicts Nonis’ new press conference will be when he announces the acquisition of Luongo.

TORONTO SUN: Mike Zeisberger points out it was Nonis who, as Vancouver Canucks GM in 2006, acquired Luongo from the Florida Panthers. Zeisberger noted the mutual respect between the two, suggesting Nonis could forge ahead with plans to acquire Luongo in “ a deal that could very well involve Tyler Bozak, Nazem Kadri and a third element.”

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch also believes Nonis will push to acquire Luongo, suggesting the return to the Canucks could be ”Nazem Kadri, Tyler Bozak and a second round pick or some variance of that.” Garrioch also reported Senators GM Bryan Murray has received some inquiries from rival clubs about goalie Robin Lehner and Ben Bishop, but he isn’t ready to move either one just yet. Garrioch believes one of those clubs could be the Edmonton Oilers.

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: Joe Yerdon compiled rumors claiming the Philadelphia Flyers were getting into the bidding for Luongo. Flyers GM Paul Holmgren laughed off the speculation, but that’s done little to silence the rumors, which suggest the Flyers would buy out Ilya Bryzgalov this summer if they acquire Luongo this season.

@SportsnetSpec: @SportsnetSpec: Why Brian Burke was fired. @strombone1 My column: http://t.co/2qOzj0T2

@Michael_Traikos: #Leafs Nonis to Hockey Central on trading Gardiner or Rielly: "We would only move a young playuer for another young player." #Luongo

“@TEAM1040: Gilman: Luongo is in Vancouver and expectation is that he'll be at camp.”

@imacVanSun

Lou: "I'm just going to show up, have fun, enjoy the game and whatever happens happens. I'm not going to stress myself out."

@imacVanSun

NOOO! Luongo can wait all season for trade. "Whether a couple of days, week, 2 weeks or the end of the season, I'm totally fine."

@imacVanSun

Lou approaching year like 2010 Olympics, when he took over No. 1 and won gold. "Last time, things worked out pretty well for me."

No clue about if it's REALLY related to Lu but:

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer

Expect the #canucks to make some significant announcements in coming days as they attempt to re-connect with fans.

Mack McCorkindale@mackmcc

@BradZiemer hearing anything in particular?

Brad Ziemer@BradZiemer

@mackmcc nope, they are keeping everything under wraps. Won't announce anything until CBA is ratified this wknd

Nonis today:

"The only issue I would have with our goaltending would be experience."

"Our goaltending is what it is."

"There’s only going to be a change in goal if we can upgrade at that position without severely hampering the ability to play in front of that goaltender, and without taking away very good young players from our reserve list. If we can add a veteran, if we can add a goaltender to help these guys along, we think that would be helpful."

"James is going to have to be prepared to step in and play on Saturday night.”

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/01/13/leafs-gm-dave-nonis-james-reimer-is-going-to-have-to-be-prepared-to-step-in-and-play-on-saturday-night/

@TEAM1040

Gillis on Luongo: Been a lot of discussion with other teams. Says multiple opportunities to do something with Luongo, if choose to do it

@benkuzma

Gillis: "There's more interest than people realize. I don't feel any pressure to trade Roberto other than trying to improve this team."

Archived