The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TORONTO: Strip Clubs set to recruit high-school girls

key2thecup

If my elder sister or hypothetical daughter, chose this route, i'd try to convince them out of it. I'd do whatever I could to help finance my sister's education if it meant keeping her from having to choose this route....but if she wanted to do it, then who am I to tell her what she can and can't do? I'd still love her and respect her as my sister, even if I don't agree with her choices.

As for my daughter, as long as she's under my care, i'll do everything in my means to make sure she has every scholastic opportunity she wants and can afford it, and i sure as $#!@ will be making sure I take an interest and active role in her life in order to lower the chances that she feels the need to strip to earn money or make a place for herself in this world. If she for whatever reason decides that she still wants to do this, then again, if she's an adult, and this is her decision, and she's willing to go out on her own and do this happily, then it's her choice, and as much as it would make me uncomfortable with the thought....she's free to make the decision, and i'd still love her as a father and do everything I could to change her mind in the meantime.

At the end of the day, some of guys know they we can't control any of the women in our lives. If they make the decision then all we can do is advise them, strongly argue against the decisions, show them why there are better options out there, and after all that, support them and be there for them.

So, if you'd "love to see" that, then be my guest, i guess.

My whole point was that a lot of guys would quickly change their mind about this issue once it was subject to women whom they love and care about. It's easy to say "YAH ITS TOTALLY FINE AS LONG AS THEY ARE 18" about total strangers, but once you make the case applicable to yourself in anyway your mentality changes.

PS: I also acknowledged that people have the right to pursue any career they wish. :)

I am against strip clubs and strippers in general. Seeing this article only frustrates me more. The world is getting worse.

For those who think it's alright to recruit highschool students let me ask you, how would you feel if your own daughter or sister did that?

I am against strip clubs and strippers in general. Seeing this article only frustrates me more. The world is getting worse.

For those who think it's alright to recruit highschool students let me ask you, how would you feel if your own daughter or sister did that?

I personally don't think the age difference from 18 to 21 makes any difference. If I were a parent, there would be no way I would condone my daughter taking her clothes off for money from men at ANY age. I understand its their right to pursue this path but I certainly wouldn't condone it. I doubt any other parent would either.

I can proudly say I've never been to a strip club in my life. Waste of time and money, and I would just feel dirty after really.

And I'm also proud to say I payed for my school all on my own without having to take my clothes off. What's their excuse?

Most likely that they want to make lots of money with out having to work hard for it. Sorry, but I don't respect people like that. I don't agree with calling them skanks, but if they were really intelligent they wouldn't need to degrade themselves for cash. They would find a talent or skill that doesn't involve taking their clothes off to help pay for school.

Thank you for bringing real substance to this thread. It is shocking that 4 pages in, nobody else has thought of using the exact hypothetical situation.

I would like to add two things:

1. Generally speaking, 18-year olds are fracking stupid-- that applies to boys and girls (or if you prefer, men and women, legally speaking). The lure of easy money might be too great a temptation, resulting in many wanting to go into stripping, but then I say, so what? The act of stripping in itself is not really big deal; I think the implied assertion here is that many feel stripping is associated with other bad things. If that is true, I would need to see some kind of data that suggests that stripping is some kind of "gateway" activity to worse bahaviour down the road; this data will be have something more substantial than citing your favourite movies, Showgirls and Striptease.

2. My problem with stripping-- male or female of any age-- is not moral but instead ethical, because it commodifies the human body. For women especially, this is a serious issue in a patriarchal society, as it is often a source of much larger-scale social problems.

Archived