The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TORONTO: Strip Clubs set to recruit high-school girls

key2thecup

I rent my body everyday, for an hourly wage. Am I bad?Should i feel shame?

As to stripping, was anyone born fully clothed?

people should not take off their clothes for money but athlete's are allowed to use their body to make money.

Smells of hypocrisy.

Now, let's imagine that a teen going to school could somehow be paid to be a subject of bullying. Everyday he went to school, he'd get hours of direct, focused, almost CONSTANT bullying, and be forced to openly and readily submit to it - but in return he'd be paid $200 a day for his troubles.

A couple of things learned from this thread:

1. The whole notion of women's liberation and equality for women is a myth. People may speak it, but often they sure as hell don't mean it, especially when it's of a sexual matter, and those close to them, such as their own daughter or sister, may be affected. Even the most ardent blowhard feminists will often be singing a different tune once they pop out a daughter and their parental instincts take over. Apparently, women don't own their own bodies and aren't free to do what they want with them, as they are the property of their families or society.

2. People are hypocrites. They'll sell their bodies in whatever ways they see fit, whether it's by flaunting them, performing outright sexual acts with them, or performing whatever other task with them. What's more, there are plenty of people among us who do sexual favours to get ahead in their careers, whether they work in an office or any of the many other lines of work seen as 'legitimate'. Society doesn't focus its attention on them and put them under a microscope. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me the least if some of the harshest critics of strippers here are guilty of this.

Dare anyone here argue otherwise?

Wow, there's some pretty judgmental comments in here about strippers.

But as they're coming from guys, I'm not surprised as really, all a stripper is to some of you is a brainless piece of meat worthy only to be ogled and groped by guys who then go home to their wives and girlfriends pretending to be Mr. Clean, right? <_<

Well how do they expect men to look at them! They are strippers after all. I agree women shouldn't be seen/used as objects, but you can't just blame the men in this case. They are putting themselves on display. Personally I have never been to a strip club, never will. I don't like the idea of them.

Just a little history as I am friends with a past stripper.

Back in the 80's, strippers put on shows - more of Burlesque, they were entertainers on a stage.

There were no lap dancing/seeing how far you can go before it was considered prostitution.

Those "entertainers" were paid well and weren't required to fratenize with the bar customers.

That changed - slowly, woman from other countries came here and were willing to do more for less and the bar owners got greedy. The girls were expected to share their tips and pay the DJ, bouncers and work for less pay...also were told that they were no longer on a weekly salary but hourly and they had to "hang out" with the customers whenever they were not on stage.

Many refused and were fired for the bar owners had a new pool of girls that were willing to do whatever they wanted.

Once again, men were the fault - their thirst for power and greed wrecked that industry.

Now, they are crying as their pool of girls is drying up...serves them right in the first place for exploiting woman the way they did.

I'm admittedly coming in late to the convo, and only read the last page, but I don't understand your point. what's the point of a strip club if not to ogle women? guys (and gals) go into places like that with clearly established expectations, as do the strippers that work there. it's not like patrons/strippers go there and are suddenly blindsided by the fact that the strippers are being ogled.

1. The whole notion of women's liberation and equality for women is a myth. People may speak it, but often they sure as hell don't mean it, especially when it's of a sexual matter, and those close to them, such as their own daughter or sister, may be affected. Even the most ardent blowhard feminists will often be singing a different tune once they pop out a daughter and their parental instincts take over. Apparently, women don't own their own bodies and aren't free to do what they want with them, as they are the property of their families or society.

2. People are hypocrites. They'll sell their bodies in whatever ways they see fit, whether it's by flaunting them, performing outright sexual acts with them, or performing whatever other task with them. What's more, there are plenty of people among us who do sexual favours to get ahead in their careers, whether they work in an office or any of the many other lines of work seen as 'legitimate'. Society doesn't focus its attention on them and put them under a microscope. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me the least if some of the harshest critics of strippers here are guilty of this.

Say that when you have a 21 year old child. Its not the same until you do. You cant put yourself in that situation until you have.

Would you be devastated if she had 50 sexual partners ?If she was gay? Where do you draw the line?

You cant pick and choose this stuff. Sure we all want our kid to be the doctor or lawyer, but I doubt you would be 'devastated. Even if so the shock would wear off pretty quickly.

Say that when you have a 21 year old child. Its not the same until you do. You cant put yourself in that situation until you have.

Would you be devastated if she had 50 sexual partners ?If she was gay? Where do you draw the line?

You cant pick and choose this stuff. Sure we all want our kid to be the doctor or lawyer, but I doubt you would be 'devastated. Even if so the shock would wear off pretty quickly.

That wasn't the point of my comment, avelanch, and I've already devoted far too much time to this thread to only re-post what I've already written in here. The post is 5 days old and my point is made clear throughout the thread. I've already been through this 'argument' in this thread, not going there again. If you really want the general gist of where this discussion has gone, then it would be worth your while to read the entire thread. :)

50? yeah, i'd be extremely embarrassed for him/her.

I couldn't care less if he or she was gay.

Entering a sex trade is not exactly the same thing though. you cross a line when you start taking money.

that being said, It's not like I'd disown them or love them any less.

This is what I dont get. Would we judge our daughter if she was on the pill? How many partners before we judge? 10 ? 20?

Would we judge then? How about 50 partners? Then we can judge?

How about she has a kid? Judge then? What if she is gay?

What if she has a black kid? Judge her then? What if she was a cocktail waitress? Judge then?

What if she got breast implants? Judge then?

What if she wore a mini skirt at work? judge then? What if she was a flirt?

Still our property to judge?

Here is what I do. I believe I raised my daughter as well as I could. She has a good head on her shoulders. If she wants to strip at age 21 and make a pile of cash, I will not judge her. I love her and trust her.

Archived