The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks offered Shea Weber 1 year 14 million

70seven

I woulda offered $20 mill 1 year for Shea - if that's what it took to bring him home and solidify our team as an annual contender, than hell yea. This guys arguably the best all around dman in the league, I don't think you could go wrong in offering him a ton of money for a 1 year deal than offering him less after the contract is up / the 1 year deal worth a lot of money is to make sure he comes here. After that, he'll sign a lot less cheaper knowing he'll be with us like something along the lines of 7 years, $7.5 mill.

...at least we know Gillis tried.

Is it such a bad thing if the Flyers get Weber?

It makes it so there's less competition in the West, and there's still teams that could knock off the Flyers in the East.

And if Philly doesn't get Weber, they could offer a ridiculous amount to Doan and hurt our chances (whatever they may be).

It makes it so there's less competition in the West, and there's still teams that could knock off the Flyers in the East.

And if Philly doesn't get Weber, they could offer a ridiculous amount to Doan and hurt our chances (whatever they may be).

It was a smart move because if Nashville matches we can get him as a ufa in a year. If we offer a lifetime deal Nash will match and we never get him. Look at the facts, Gillis is a smart guy, let him decide whats best.

They do it because they may be able to afford that much for one season. I doubt they would be able to do it for the next 3 though.

Basically they bite the bullet either way. If they do it for 1 year they get a another full season of him and then get a huge payout in a trade.

Exactly. Homgren did exactly what Gillis did, but essentially multiplied the signing bonus that MG offered him several times over for the first half of a 14-year contract. Gillis knew that the CBA was going to change the rules on extensive term lengths. He also knew that most players up for contract renewal, especially those with the skill-level to demand it, would try to load up on term before the end of the summer, which is when the new rules will be in place. And yet he chose to approach the situation by offering a star player--whom he was supposedly committed to doing "nearly anything" to get on the team--a one-year contract. How any of you people support him in these actions is completely beyond me--especially considering how the situation gets worse with every breaking detail on this matter.

What I don't really like about this: MG and Gilman both came out to try and reassure the Canucks fanbase that they wanted Weber. It sounds like they wanted him bad, but not bad enough to make an offer? Sounds like they got a really good sense what Weber was after, term and money, so there was really no way of him signing a 1 year pact so Vancouver could try and get him July 2013. With all of that in mind what they did made no sense:

1. If you make an offer, Nashville matches, you lose out on Weber

2. If you don't make an offer, you lose out on Weber

Canucks went with option 2 meaning there was zero chance of them getting him. So really, how badly did they really want him?

It was a smart move because if Nashville matches we can get him as a ufa in a year. If we offer a lifetime deal Nash will match and we never get him. Look at the facts, Gillis is a smart guy, let him decide whats best.

If Gillis were smart he should be working out a trade now.

Tell Nashville that if they match we'll be willing to give you this package next summer. Obviously it would have to be pretty enticing.

But basically anything to convince them that they can get alot if they can manage to hold onto him until next summer.

Too bad you can't include money in trades anymore. I'm sure Nashville could use some.

Archived