The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks offered Shea Weber 1 year 14 million

70seven

Here's my idea. Next top free agent that Canucks want they should do a top secret signing.

Let's say Weber is a UFA.

Canucks offer a 5 year 5 million dollar contract.

1 million each year. This is how it will go down to unsuspecting fellow GM's.

Then the city of Vancouver like it or not develops a new 'Weber tax' ;) .

We all pay an extra 150$ on our taxes even if your not a fan, and if you dont like it, you can getttttt out!!!

Weber gets his money ...We get our cup. It's a fool proof plan! Let's do it guys! Who's with me?

I still don't think weber is worth 4 firsts in compensation as well as 110m over 14 years. Its ludicris and won't win them the cup. That being said, I dont' think he is worth 110m over 14 years to nashville either, but losing him may be worth the picks. One dude who could crash his motorbike into a tree and pass away at a young age is not a good situation for the Preds to be locked into. If he is their only player, they are dead already...matching won't change that.

Seems to me Weber's best option would've been to sign a massive one year deal, like the one Gillis mentioned, and then, as soon as Nashville decides not to match (how could they?), Weber signs a massive contract, similar to the Philly offer sheet, with his new team. That way he would've been sure to get out of Nashville and cash in on the current CBA.

As it stands, there's a decent chance he remains a Pred (while also handcuffing the organization financially). Pretty risky.

Seems to me Weber's best option would've been to sign a massive one year deal, like the one Gillis mentioned, and then, as soon as Nashville decides not to match (how could they?), Weber signs a massive contract, similar to the Philly offer sheet, with his new team. That way he would've been sure to get out of Nashville and cash in on the current CBA.

As it stands, there's a decent chance he remains a Pred (while also handcuffing the organization financially). Pretty risky.

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

i call BS - mike gillis doesnt seem like a guy stupid enough to potentially lose 4 first round picks for ONE YEAR of shea weber... seriously, that would have to be the DUMBEST offer sheet in NHL history - not to mention the most lopsided "trade" for one player ever.

how are none of you getting Gills' plan here? He already stated that he knew the Preds would match any offer that was pitched to Weber (obviously proven tonight). Gillis wanted to sign Weber for 1 year for two possible scenarios

A.) If Preds match - Next off season, Weber would be a UFA where the Canucks could offer him anything within the new CBA rules without giving up draft picks.

B.) Preds don't match - Nucks loose 4 first rounders but get a defenseman of a lifetime. Plus they have exclusive negotiating rights before July 1st, 2013 and could resign him longer term at a lower hit.

Either way, both scenarios would work out for Van's sake. Giving up 4 late first rounders is fine with me if we get a primetime defenseman in Weber. Now, with a lifetime deal, Weber will NEVER hit UFA. Gillis did not want to offer a lifetime deal because he has learned from the contract he is currently trying to unload. Kudos to Gillis for not falling into that trap again.

Also, the 1 year $14 mill WAS offered by Gillis but Weber rejected it. Just because he was an RFA doesn't mean he is forced to take whatever contract was pitched.

I am so glad this was released for everyone to see. I've said many times that not every player from BC wants to play for the Canucks as a priority. Clearly Weber was interested in the Canucks, but the length of his contract meant more to him.... so from here on out HOPEFULLY people will remember this, so that they don't try and throw our GM under the bus for something they don't even know.

I am so glad this was released for everyone to see. I've said many times that not every player from BC wants to play for the Canucks as a priority. Clearly Weber was interested in the Canucks, but the length of his contract meant more to him.... so from here on out HOPEFULLY people will remember this, so that they don't try and throw our GM under the bus for something they don't even know.

Archived