The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Canucks offered Shea Weber 1 year 14 million

70seven

Gillis did a perfect job with Weber.

He extended a one year deal. Simple. If he extended an offer sheet, any possible trade down the road would be negated.

He showed interest in bringing him to Vancouver, and due to the fact that Weber invited him into his home, Weber showed interest in coming to Vancouver.

Why did Weber use Philly's offer sheet? Eastern team.

Weber wanted to show Poile that:

• He wanted market value before the CBA negotiations

• He would move conferences so as not to be in the West and playing Nashville too much

Now we hear that a No Trade Clause and a No Movement Clause have been requested by Weber and his foolish agent. Weber needs to find a new agent, as this fool was all over the radio saying that Shea saw his future in Philly. Unless a player says it themselves I don't believe it.

The NTC and NMC are the final test though. If Poile refuses the NTC/NMC, there is a 50% chance Weber is traded (in a blockbuster) once conditions allow. Weber wants complete dedication from Poile.

If Poile signs both clauses (which he most likely will do considering what they just paid for him), then we can truly say that he will never be a Canuck, unless he waives them down the road. Which he won't

Regardless, the Canucks defence is faaar from anemic and should be an upgrade from last year.

I have very little sympathy with Weber in regards to the NTC. He basically forced the franchise into making a huge financial move that is surely going to hurt the kind of guys they could bring in, at least in the short term and now he wants the NTC too? For what so he can request a trade later and force Nashville to take a garbage package? I don't think the rules would allow this but the best that he deserves is an assurance that Nashville won't trade him but if you request a trade out then it's waived. In fact all NTCs should operate like that in the new CBA it's really unfair to the teams losing star players, which is already a huge blow and you're forced to take garbage packages (like the New York one) just because the guy can choose which teams you're allowed to negotiate with.

Gillis made the right move. Nashville said they would match any offer and they did. Now, with the request for the NTC/NMC, Weber basically knows that he is going to be moved, and wants to choose when and where he goes. Nashville has already been rooked in this deal with all the front loading, so I don't see them limiting their options now - there's no reason why they should. Next year, Vancouver could forward a trade proposal that Nashville might accept, so the long play could work out. Either that or Weber winds up in a bottom team for a boatload of assets for Nashville.

It essentially matches what Philly was proposing in the first year. I personally think that Gillis played this whole scenario perfectly. Weber and his agent are kicking themselves now because he will be a Predator for the duration of his career, something they expressed he wasn't interested in. Had they taken Gillis' offer, he would have had more options and would have still cashed in. Weber's agent did what most are doing before the new CBA kicks in, getting as much money as possible now.

i call BS - mike gillis doesnt seem like a guy stupid enough to potentially lose 4 first round picks for ONE YEAR of shea weber... seriously, that would have to be the DUMBEST offer sheet in NHL history - not to mention the most lopsided "trade" for one player ever.

That's true, but it's not like he hasn't tried the offer sheet thing before though. He had no problems pissing off St. Louis back then. It could be possible that he's learned from that, I'm not sure.

In the end though you gotta give Mike Gillis credit because he managed to accurately predict that Nashville would match and didn't do anything to hurt his reputation around the league.

MG didn't have the guts to offer him a long contract. It's not that he didn't want to sign here, it's that our management didn't want to give him a long-term contract that he deserved. MG can try and twist it and say how Weber didn't really want to play here, but he thinks these players should bend over backwards to play here. Sure, it would be nice to get Weber on a tiny discount, but he is the type of player that you throw all of the money at and get rid of underused by AV ballard/ falling raymond/injured manny. That's close to 9 mill right there and then we are still going to get rid of Lu.

Guest Dasein

Well, Philadelphia is playing with fire here right now.

They have 3 big RFAs coming up in Wayne Simmonds, Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn.

If the Predators continue to build their team to be a Stanley Cup contending team, I can easily see them making offer sheets to future young RFA stars hailing from Philadelphia to either mess with Holmgren or to sign them.

Vancouver Province is reporting:

After meeting with Shea Weber in Kelowna, the Canucks concluded playing in B.C. was not his priority.

The Canucks’ pursuit of Weber began on July 1 and culminated with a mid-month summit meeting, where Vancouver’s management made its pitch at Weber’s Kelowna home, while the restricted free agent, in return, detailed what he was looking for if he was going to sign an offer sheet.

And it wasn’t a chance to play in his home province.

People assume anybody born in B.C. automatically wants to play for the Vancouver Canucks,” GM Mike Gillis said while co-hosting the midday show on TEAM 1040 Monday.

“I really like the guy. I think he’s a terrific player. I think at the end of the day, the market place really didn’t matter. He was determined to take advantage of the rules that are currently in place and he did so.”

The current rules allowed Weber to sign a 14-year, $110-million offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers. It’s the type of “lifetime contract” which may be prohibited when the NHL and its players agree to a new CBA. In its first proposal to players, the NHL had term limits which capped the length of contracts to five years. It seemed it was either now or never for Weber to get the security he was chasing.

The Canucks considered making an offer similar to Philadelphia’s, but believed the Nashville Predators would match it. The Predators have until Wednesday at 11:30 p.m. to either match the Philly deal or let Weber go. If he leaves, the Predators will get four first-round draft picks.

“We felt strongly right from the outset anything that had term attached, they’d match,” Gillis said. “I think with the loss of Ryan Suter and that they were in on (Suter) right to the end, trying to sign him for numbers that resembled what we’re seeing here, that this was their opportunity to match and get a star player for term.

“When you added everything up, it did not look like it was a real opportunity (to get the player).

“I do suspect (Nashville) will match. I think they need to protect their team and protect their marketplace in Nashville and this guy is the face of their franchise.”

The Canucks discussed with Weber the idea of a one-year, $14-million deal. It included a $1-million salary and a $13-million signing bonus. It was a risky plan but the Canucks believed it was the only contract that could potentially land the player. If Weber were to ever have signed such a deal, and the Predators didn’t match, the Canucks would have given up four first-round draft choices. If the Predators did match, Weber was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in one year.

But that was a non-starter from Weber’s side, because if he signed a one-year offer sheet he wouldn’t be able to sign an extension until Jan. 1, long after the current CBA expires on Sept. 15.

“I got the sense he wanted to take advantage of the current rules in place financially and he did that. And he’s entitled to do that,” Gillis said.

“Often times, and I’ve been on the other side of this for a long, long time, players have multiple issues they are considering when they are looking at where to play.

“Where they are from is one of them. But it isn’t the one that necessarily carries the day.

“In this case, financial security, long term, while understanding full well Nashville could match, was a very important element. That can’t be underestimated.”

i call BS - mike gillis doesnt seem like a guy stupid enough to potentially lose 4 first round picks for ONE YEAR of shea weber... seriously, that would have to be the DUMBEST offer sheet in NHL history - not to mention the most lopsided "trade" for one player ever.

So if Weber wanted security before the CBA, couldn't Gillis have just offered the 1 year 14 mill offersheet with an agreement to Weber that once he signs the offersheet and becomes a Canuck he will then be offered a 13 year 100 million dollar contract extention as soon as he becomes a Canuck?

Archived