The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-WPG

VAN: Wellwood, Clitsome

WPG: Ballard

The main reasons for this trade are to acquire both cap space and fill in holes in the roster:

Acquiring Wellwood and Citsome addresses a need at center and gives our defense a young big body who can score. Clitsome and Wellwood's contracts are both up at the end of the 2013-14 season. Trading Ballard gives the Canucks around $4.4m in capspace, with Luongo still in the lineup.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Kyle Wellwood ($1.600m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Grant Clitsome ($1.250m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,803,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,396,667

With Hainsey's contract expiring in the 2013-14 season in mind, WPG gains a defenseman with the potential to solidify their top 4. With one more center gone, they have room to insert Burmistrov and start his development. They also have over $13m in cap space to resign their UFA/RFA post-Kane signing, and will have even more when Hainsey is gone.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Evander Kane ($4.900m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.550m)

Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Nik Antropov ($4.063m) / Bryan Little ($2.383m)

Alexei Ponikarovsky ($1.800m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.500m) / Antti Miettinen ($1.351m)

Patrice Cormier ($0.854m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Chris Thorburn ($0.867m)

DEFENSEMEN

Tobias Enstrom ($3.750m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($5.200m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Zach Bogosian ($2.500m)

Ron Hainsey ($4.500m) / Mark Stuart ($1.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Ondrej Pavelec ($3.900m)

Al Montoya ($0.601m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,118,959; BONUSES: $912,500

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $13,081,042

I would have liked to see Raymond, and a 2nd rd pick for Dubinsky :(

He would have been a great 3rd line centre

Now I'm just hoping for Weiss out of a Luongo deal and that we sign Doan.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Weiss-Hansen

All trades on this board involving the Canucks and Jets are terrible, and this one is no different.

Keith Ballard: In 112 regular season games over the last two seasons with the two time President Trophy winner Canucks, Keith Ballard has a grand total of 14 points. On the top team in the league, this is pretty sad.

Grant Clitsome: In 94 regular season games over the past two seasons, Grant Clitsome has 36 points.

I wouldn't trade Clitsome straight up for Ballard.

The Wellwood burger has been fried, I mean ship has sailed. It was Gillis who opted not to re-sign him going into UFA, so what would suddenly compel him to want to bring him back into the fold; or much less why Winnipeg would trade a player they just re-signed that has worked well for them in the past?

There's nothing on Winnipeg's roster that I would want that they would be willing to make available, short of Kane should he refuse to re-sign with the team or if they wished to part ways with Bogosian. I would be definitely willing to make a deal of Hansen, Jensen, 1st for Kane should he not want to re-sign however.

Edit* A line of Kane-Schroeder-Kassian would be absolutely amazing

All trades on this board involving the Canucks and Jets are terrible, and this one is no different.

Keith Ballard: In 112 regular season games over the last two seasons with the two time President Trophy winner Canucks, Keith Ballard has a grand total of 14 points. On the top team in the league, this is pretty sad.

Grant Clitsome: In 94 regular season games over the past two seasons, Grant Clitsome has 36 points.

I wouldn't trade Clitsome straight up for Ballard.

Wow Winnipeg is huge. Jokinen, Wheeler, Ladd, Antropov, Ponikarovsky, Cormier, Thorburn, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, and Stuart. That's 11 out of 18 players 6'2" 200lbs and bigger.

The trade fills holes on both sides, but not necessarily fills them with the right pieces. Yes Wellwood could be a makeshift 2nd line centre, but he isn't what we're looking for in a 3rd line two-way/shutdown role when Kesler gets back.

Also, as others have said, the value seems off. However, I do like that you're looking ahead into next season to provide reasoning for the trade.

Ballard gets no minutes on this team, but when he does, he gets benched after one mistake . He's not being utilized properly, and unless Edler is gone next year, he wont be. I feel we could get that return from Winnipeg because it solidifies their top 4, and Wellwood is going to be let go next year anyway. I don't necessarily want him either, but I feel this deal would work.

The reason we have Wellwood, is so that Miettenen is not in the line-up. Significant down-grade in offence for a side-ways move in defense (considering it isnt really our weak area). If anything, we need a shut-down guy rather than a puck-moving Ballard.

Yeah, but it doesn't work for the Jets, who would want no part of Ballard's play or contract.

Winnipeg's defense, right now, looks like this

Enstrom - Byfuglien

Stuart - Bogosian

Hainsey - Clitsome

Postma/Kulda/Jones

Hainsey is not good and his contract is brutal, but even he his past seasons have been better than Ballard's. Winnipeg doesn't do this because it serves their team no purpose, only to weaken them at defense and forward.

Archived