The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone have Telus Optik?

key2thecup

Looking to bundle TV-Internet-Ph , Im with Shaw right now, without HD which sucks having a HD LCD...

Anyone have the combo with Telus? I cant check my location availability on their website.

Is there HD TV and Internet good?

With Shaw I would say I average 4 problems a year and there call support is horribly long.

I want to play video games online as well as browse the net, so what kind of GB limit would be right for me?

My folks have it and they love it. I have Telus Satellite TV in Williams Lake but I am moving back to the coast and I've already signed up for Optik for when I move in.

My folks have had it over a year and haven't had a single issue yet (other than user issues, my Mom is a little slow with technology).

I switched last year when I moved, because you get a free gift (a tablet or a laptop or an xbox), free HD-PVR, and 6-months of a discounted rate. After that, the price is the same as Shaw for the same services (at least for me), but the downside is you sign a 3-year contract.

The speed of your internet connection will depend on where you live; if you are in the metro Vancouver area, you'll have no issues with internet (you can order varying levels of speed), and be able to record 3 HD and 1 SD program simultaneously. But some areas only have the capability of 1 HD and 1 SD, and I am not sure if your internet speed is limited as well.

I have no issues with quality, but I don't play online games or stream movies much, so I'm probably not a good comparison.

I have had optik for a few years and its been flawless. Our internet has never been down, nor has the cable. Install both times was fast and hassle free. My only complaint is that the video on demand selection sucks big time. its really hit and miss for good new releases. i have no plans to switch anytime soon.

I used to have it and absolutely loved it. Internet was sufficient enough for me, dling movies and streaming.. basically consistent speeds all the time unlike shaw. I found the pricing a little bit cheaper; no clue what its like now tho. Unfortunately right now im with Shaw and i have to say its been very disappointing. I heard telus customer service was bad(never experienced it myself)...my god i don't know what you'd call shaw's then. The only thing i don't miss are the contracts.

Looking to bundle TV-Internet-Ph , Im with Shaw right now, without HD which sucks having a HD LCD...

Anyone have the combo with Telus? I cant check my location availability on their website.

Is there HD TV and Internet good?

With Shaw I would say I average 4 problems a year and there call support is horribly long.

I want to play video games online as well as browse the net, so what kind of GB limit would be right for me?

Beware of the no sports.

me and my roommates got Optik in Victoria and there are zero sports channels on the basic cable package. The guy didn't mention it to us and we didnt have sports for the first month. It was horrible. After that we had constant trouble with our internet and cable cutting out. I wouldn't do it again, but it could have had to do with our area. Although they claimed we were in a optimal service neighborhood.

If you are a HD tv watcher than optik is the way to go. Shaw's HD Plus package offers 30-35 hd channels, while telus can offer 60-70.

not only that, but the picture quality is much better, it's faster too. it doesn't take 5 seconds to load up a channel as you're flipping through.

as for internet, if you are not aware; shaw is run on a party line system which means you are sharing your internet with your neighbors who have shaw. Telus gets you your own dedicated line so the speed of your internet is not dependent on the guy three doors down who is playing WOW all day and downloading movies. shaw high speed is 7.5mb/s (party line) while telus high speed is 15 mb/s (dedicated line).. twice as fast.

source: i used to work for telus

If you are a HD tv watcher than optik is the way to go. Shaw's HD Plus package offers 30-35 hd channels, while telus can offer 60-70.

not only that, but the picture quality is much better, it's faster too. it doesn't take 5 seconds to load up a channel as you're flipping through.

as for internet, if you are not aware; shaw is run on a party line system which means you are sharing your internet with your neighbors who have shaw. Telus gets you your own dedicated line so the speed of your internet is not dependent on the guy three doors down who is playing WOW all day and downloading movies. shaw high speed is 7.5mb/s (party line) while telus high speed is 15 mb/s (dedicated line).. twice as fast.

source: i used to work for telus

good job selling telus

actually shaw is up to 55 channels hd

the internet is fine i use a 50mb/s broadband with hd costs me 140 while my mom is paying 230 for her's with phone but if i added phone it would only be 20 bucks still cheaper than telus

also when i used my mom's internet i would have nothing but problems there internet is not dedicated because it uses the same bandwidth as the tv so that 15/25mb/s is being used by your tv first priority. i phone telus constantly telling them how slow their internet was their solution every single time was to turn off a tv and don't record anything

I have friends with Optik and hate it. They all say that the more you are using at once

good job selling telus

actually shaw is up to 55 channels hd

the internet is fine i use a 50mb/s broadband with hd costs me 140 while my mom is paying 230 for her's with phone but if i added phone it would only be 20 bucks still cheaper than telus

also when i used my mom's internet i would have nothing but problems there internet is not dedicated because it uses the same bandwidth as the tv so that 15/25mb/s is being used by your tv first priority. i phone telus constantly telling them how slow their internet was their solution every single time was to turn off a tv and don't record anything

Archived