The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan: Would you do it?

Line Juggler

Too many rumors going around about this 4 year 30 million thing. I've heard that it was an Eastern team's offer to him, not what he was demanding, now I'm hearing that is his asking price..? Hm.

I have to wonder.

In no way is Shane Doan, at 35 years of age, worth $7.5M / a if I am the GM of a team challenging for the Cup.

He is not a big name. He is, at this stage of his career, a solid second line player on the decline. Would I like to see him in a Canuck's uniform? Ab-so-freakin'-lutely. Do I guarantee him $30 over 4 a? Sorry. That is insanity. Sad thing is, if that's what the market says he is worth, then that's what he's worth.

I hope we sign him, but not at this price point.

:towel::canucks:

If he was at the prime of his career and improving, I would consider that offer. I don't know how many 35 year old NHL players though that get that much of a raise. Generally at that age, your contract goes down. I wonder though how much validity there is to the amount being asked? Doan wasn't the one who said that is what he wants, it's just rumored that is what he wants. But I guess if a team wants to pay that much for him for 4 years, there isn't much you can do. It'll be on their books, there is no way Gillis will sign him for that amount.

He doesn't want to leave. The only way he'll leave is if ownership falls through, and even then he may stay. He's telling other teams that he DOESN'T want to leave, but if you realllyyy want him, then this is the amount that would push him over the edge.

I'd be pretty apprehensive about giving him a 4 year deal. But then again you have to ask yourself... When will we have another player like this come along? I'd definitely not offer him a huge contract if it was going to be more than 2 years. IT would have to be a front loaded contract with his last 2 years being almost nothing. Example

1: 5.5M

2. 4.75M

3. 4.0M

4. 3.5M

Other than that i would offer him a 2 year deal at most at 6.5/year. But it seems to me that he is not interested in leaving PHX for something like that.

I would go up to $6M. $7.5M is a little too much. I like Doan, great player, exactly what we need, but money-wise, especially for 4 years is a bit much. We could get another top 6 player and 3rd line centre for that money possibly, although this year the skill level would not be as great as Doan.

i say get him to sign for less but make up for the rest with a signing bonus haha, for some reason im ok with that. He would be a great addition for this team to get rid of the cry baby mentality and to play hard with heart every shift, just what we need. id do it even for 7.5 because of what he can bring to the table

how bout this: semin for 7.5 or doan for 7.5?

I think Gillis wil pass at anything beyond $6M. That was the ceiling for Detroit who have said they are out of the Doan sweepstakes because the price is getting too high.

There are too many wealthy owners with stupid/desparate GMs in the east throwng away money to beat out the new CBA. They will expect these contracts to be grand-fathered in the new deal and think they can get a leg up on the rest of the teams by acquiring big name players now without it hurting them later. The sad thing is...they are likely correct.

GMMG has always been pragmatic. Doan never visited Vancouver like he did other cities because he is very familiar with us. Gillis will make a fair offer and we will see where the cards fall. He got a lot of hometown discounts just for this purpose to be able to get some guys who could put us over the top.

Sedin/Sedin/Doan

Booth/Kes/Burr

Higgins/Lappy/Hansen

Weiss/Maholtra/Pino/Jensen/Klassian

Lou/RayMay/Ballard for a couple really sharp young defensemen

Looks like a good year coming up!

Nope, but I woule definitly do it for 6 to 6.5 million. You can't just look at the guys points but his leadership, size, strength and playmaking. Doan is not worth over seven million but he is worth it if you don't pay over 6.5.. ;)

Archived