The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan: Would you do it?

Line Juggler

Yes. I would make this deal. Boo Hoo, to anyone on the team, if they're upset that he's making more. This team has to go for it all now.. That's the way they're built. Everybody's seen the contracts that are getting handed out, and if the Canucks want to shy away from an expensive contract that's only 4, or 5 years in length, then good bye to attracting anymore "big name" players. They should really "think outside their own box".

No one is worth more than the Sedins on this team and that is a statement MG has to make. They are the franchise's best players and we shouldn't just sell out for some old guy. The Sundin experiment worked well for us actually, but that was a much shorter deal, a 4 year deal would bite us in the butt big time.

Right now all MG has to do is sign a depth centerman (Hecht, Arnott, Brule etc.) for around 2 million and maybe add a depth defenceman who can play in our top-4 in case of injury (Jurcina, Coliacovo). Trading Luongo would bring us more assets, but isn't essential. Doan is definately low on our priority list because we don't need yet another top-6 powerforward.

No one is worth more than the Sedins on this team and that is a statement MG has to make. They are the franchise's best players and we shouldn't just sell out for some old guy. The Sundin experiment worked well for us actually, but that was a much shorter deal, a 4 year deal would bite us in the butt big time.

Right now all MG has to do is sign a depth centerman (Hecht, Arnott, Brule etc.) for around 2 million and maybe add a depth defenceman who can play in our top-4 in case of injury (Jurcina, Coliacovo). Trading Luongo would bring us more assets, but isn't essential. Doan is definately low on our priority list because we don't need yet another top-6 powerforward.

If Doan wants to play until he is 39, a 4 year contract, I'd say he is worth 3.9 million per season.

Teams are way overpaying for players this summer, even Semins got 7mil scoring 21 goals last season.

GMs feel they don't want to miss the boat and also the big cap space everyone have on their sheets. Imagine if we had to resign Sedins this season, we would have to pay them 8 mil+, and that is with them taking a discount.

Too expensive, definitely not worth it. No way he makes that much more than the Sedin twins.

I think that asking price is ridiculous. Only a team like Philly or some other desperate team would pay that price.

I think he is being unreasonable, those dumb ass contracts this off season are really messing with things... Disappointing.

Hope he stays with Phoenix instead.

I was relieved to see that Doan is asking for a truly crazy deal (7 million a year for 4 years). Even if this is just a bargaining position it is so crazy that the I think MG won't waste much more time.

For a while I was worried the Canucks might overpay for him -- maybe 5 million a year for 3 years.

Last year Doan had 22 goals and 50 points in 79 games and was -8. And this was on a good team. Whitney was +26 and Vrbata was +24 on the same team. Being -8 is not good.

Compare with Burrows (28 goals, 52 pts, and +24 in 80 games) for a cap hit of about 2 million. I admint that these numbers are inflated by playing with the Sedins, but Higgins did not play with the Sedins, did not get much PP time and still got 18 goals and 43 pts (and was +11) for under 2 million.

Doan is big and he was a star earlier in his career. At age 36 he is well into age-related performance decline and, even though he is big, guys of that age cannot provide much toughness (or if they try they do not last long). 7 million would be crazy even for one year and 5 million would be too much. By the 4th year of the deal it would be a total waste of money.

What Doan is really saying is that he wants to stay in Phoenix. Let him stay. At his stage in his career is probably a liability and making him the highest paid player on the Canucks would be truly absurd.

Doan's agent said he didn't demand that price. But I am pretty sure Doan was well aware MG wouldn't pay him higher then the Sedins before putting them on his short list. If he does end up leaving Coyotes ( which he probably will if there really was no call from them yesterday ) then I think the Canucks have the biggest chance because of their connections. But then again, we have had the biggest chance with other UFAs this season and we keep getting the shorter end of the stick by the end.

Yes, I think we should sign him if we get the chance. 4-5m would be brilliant but positive other teams could pay him a bit higher. If we did sign him, there is no doubt this team would look like it has one of the best years of depth in franchise history.

-Sedin-Burr Booth-Kes-Doan Higg-Lappy-Hansen and then we have so many options for fourth line, it's crazy. Raymond, Kassian, Pini, Ebbet, Patti, Jensen, Manny, Schroeder. No matter what way you look at this, this team would be a ridiculously balanced team. The D: Bieksa-Hamhuis Garrison-Edler Ballard-Tanev I don't think I've been so confident in our blue liners for awhile.

But here's the thing, if we DO get Doan. Somehow or someway it would be great if we could keep Luongo and do the rotation system with the goalies. Having two top goalies in the NHL rotating would be the closest thing to guaranteeing amazing goaltending every game. They are fresh and want to play their best after the other one just played. But that is probably the most unrealistic part about this whole thing. If we do get Doan, I don't see how trading Luongo will benefit the team unless if we clear up a significant cap space but even so, his contract is only long. It isn't even that expensive yearly compared to other goalies.

Long story short, by getting this one player, we could be looking at one of the best seasons/post seasons in franchise history. As long as their hearts are into it.

EDIT: Doan's regular season wasn't amazing compared to past years but having ANOTHER 20+ goal scorer on the team. Well that would help A LOT. And also, his stats in the post season should be what we are looking at. 5 goals and 4 assists for 9 points in 16 games. And that lady and gentlemen, is what we are looking for. We obviously have trouble in the post season but Doan is a player that can make things happen and when you get one player going, you can get a line going and then eventually a team. ;)

I personally would love to have him with us on our team, however 30 mil for 4 years? Not worth it at all, his point production will decrease with age and that's something we need more then anything rather than leadership (we have enough of that).

Holy Crap, people!!!!!

Pay attention!!!

Doan has not demanded those numbers!!!

His agent came straight out and verified he NEVER made such demands!!!

It is unsubstantiated rumor-mongering by incompetent media pundits and nothing more!!!

Let go of the whole damn idea, already!!!

Archived