The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan: Would you do it?

Line Juggler

He is not worth it, well he is worth it in the market but i like canucks theory of having players take a pay cut to compete and give the team a better chance of winning. Players that are after the big buck are not worth it. i mean 4 years at 24 mill would be worth it and he would give the team a chance to get someone else. is 24 mill not enough for these players....

What Doan doesn't cost may be more important.

We do not have to give up any player assets to get him.

We can add a substantial piece to the team without subtracting any.

Gillis will find out, if he has not done so already, what Doan really wants.

If he wants to play for Vancouver, maybe he will compromise on term or amount.

If he wants a long term, maybe he will take less per year.

What is reasonable to expect of Doan at the back end of a new contract?

Maybe we offer him his $30m and he gets to win The Cup with us but we put it out over 5 years.

That holds it down to a $6m cap hit.

If it was structured with the last 2 years at $1.5m = $9m/yr first 3 years.

We may be able to trade his cap hit to a team that needs to make the floor and can only afford to pay the $1.5m for $5m cap hit.

I don't know (obviously), but I sure think Shane Doan would be a great fit this year on this team.

Man I want to Win The Cup!

Holy Crap, people!!!!!

Pay attention!!!

Doan has not demanded those numbers!!!

His agent came straight out and verified he NEVER made such demands!!!

It is unsubstantiated rumor-mongering by incompetent media pundits and nothing more!!!

Let go of the whole damn idea, already!!!

It's a steep price and contract time line at Doan's age.

Does Gillis play the game past this move by Doan and his agent?

Signing Doan takes some of Gillis' other priorities and options in jeopardy now and in the future.

I think Gillis is going to pass on this one and move on.

Remember the League owns Phoenix right now, do they commit that kind of money to a franchise they're trying to get rid of?

Doan is going to get the money he asking for from some one.

I agree with the Bobby Ryan notion. In the long run Ryan gives them a younger player with upside in the future. One thing Ryan has done at this point in his career that doan has not.

Win the Cup.

I have hoped for that since the trade dead line.

Watching the Doan videos on TSN, I could somehow picture him signing with the Canucks. I don't believe Gillis will offer him $30 million over 4 years, but I do think he will offer him a 4 year contract if the price is right.

Based on comments after their recent dinner in Vancouver, winning the cup is Doan's top priority, based on the TSN video interview Doan says his family is his top priority. Canucks fit the bill for Cup chances and a great location for his family to move to. I think the Canucks get him with a fair 4 year offer. Maybe 5, 4.5, 4 and 3.5 for a total of $17 million will get the job done.

Gillis won't offer Doan what has wrongly been attributed to him as a demand for 30 million over 4 years.

Gillis will likely do what he usually does - his offer to Doan will likely max out at what his other veteran stars are making - if Doan is interested in playing in Vancouver, the reality is that the Sedins make 6.1, and the Canucks don't have cap space to be frivolous with.

But regarding moneyball or thinking outside the box - sometimes you just have to look inside the box - the Canucks have a load of natural left wingers, and only Hansen and Kassian as natural right wingers. They also could use a physical force, who can score 20+ goals, throw 200 hits, and who commands respect. Doan is an exception who fits Vancouver's need. If people want to think outside the box, stop assuming he isn't worth a three or four year contract because he is 35 - there are exceptions to that rule as well - and who knows, perhaps the new CBA will come up with better terms for 35+ contracts, which prevent circumvention but also don't essentially penalize veteran players.

Archived