The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan: Would you do it?

Line Juggler

Like it is your money!

"I wouldn't pay more than this or that!"

Doan is a great fit for the Canucks.

Aqualini supports management 100%.

Gillman can find a way to get it under the cap.

Gillis can satisfy all of Doan's objectives.

The only thing I see, as said here by a couple guys before, is if Doan is just using this time to get as much as he can, then:

If he is stuck on Phoenix, we are out.

If he gets a bigger offer from NYR, we are out.

If we're in the ballpark, and he likes Vancouver, we win.

Somebody (Provost?) posted that the following year of a contract cannot be for less than half the current year.

With that knowledge then, and the 5 year averaging provision, with Doan (perhaps) not playing years 4 and 5:

Year 1: $10m

Year 2: $8m

Year 3: $4m

Year 4: $2m

Year 5: $1m

= $5m cap hit and nice big year 1 and 2 paydays for incentive to win the Cup with Vancouver.

Should satisfy all those who think he will be too old in a few years.

It is not your money.

Like it is your money!

The only thing I see, as said here by a couple guys before, is if Doan is just using this time to get as much as he can, then:

Somebody (Provost?) posted that the following year of a contract cannot be for less than half the current year.

With that knowledge then, and the 5 year averaging provision, with Doan (perhaps) not playing years 4 and 5:

= $5m cap hit and nice big year 1 and 2 paydays for incentive to win the Cup with Vancouver.

It is not your money.

Doan, 22G, 28A, -8, 19:36 TOI

$6-7.5M ???

Burrows, 28G, 24A, +24, 18:28 TOI

$2M

Higgins, 18G, 25A, +11, 16:19 TOI

$1.9M

Hansen, 16G, 23A, +18, 14:54 TOI

$1.35M

I like the idea of him on our team, but it's a little frightening to think what his $/points would be. Last season he was barely ahead of Higgins and Hansen, despite being given more ice time. How many minutes would Doan get in a Vancouver jersey?

I know there are intangibles that he would bring, but it also needs to make sense on the gamesheet each night.

Doan is precisely the type of player this team has needed for the entire Gillis regime.

Dan is now a concussed superstar,Kes has been ground right into the ice with no support from the Mason Raymond figure skaters of the world,Booth is on the cusp of leaving hockey altogether with a fourth concussion.

It is Doan or bust-this window is closing shut.

Personally after all I have heard about the Messier fiasco a) I doubt if MG would put himself in that position. B) There seems too many possibilities for such a move to go wrong.

For a start the guy is a one team man and you get the impression that where he wants to be is not Vancouver. Secondly I don't think he brings enough to the table, his points are not great (averaging 20 goals and 55 pts over last 3 seasons) and we don't know that at his age, 35 he would provide the deterrent the Sedins need.

Many aspects of this set up mirrors the Messier scenario. From the fact that he doesn't want to leave Phoenix but they don't want to pay him what he is asking for down to the guy being a veteran and may be prone to injury or would not be able to change his ways/fit into what is already a tight dressing room. The only difference here is that this Canuck team is elite.

I would rather we tried to trade for Perry, Clowe or Kane along with Arnott. I don't think we need to pay premium for more leadership, we have that already, we need more pushback.

Perry averaged 38 goals and 78 pts over last 3 seasons. More importantly he averaged 114 PIM

Clowe also averaged 20 golas and 55 pts over last 3 seasons (same as Doan) but almost 50 PIM more per season.

Perry is 27 years of age and Clowe is 29. Both young enough to get their full potential in a 3/4 year contract.

My ideal would be to get them both, put Perry with the Sedins trade Booth and insert Clowe into a line of Clowe-Kesler-Burrows.

people who dont want to sign doan because of his age are really pissing me off

this site crys for free agent signings day and night and now that theres a good chance to get one its "hes tooo old"

Like it is your money!

It is not your money.

Bodee,comparing Messier to Doan is like comparing a great white shark(Messier) to a large,graceful fish (Doan).

Think tuna or marlin (Doan) landed by Gillis on the dock ,not shark(Messier) eating Gillis along with half the boat (Caucks organisation) and then taking out the dock(Canucks fans).

Doan will never be Messier.It is beyond comparison or comprehension.

I don't think we should be believing everything the media is trying to spoonfeed us. obviously none of us personally know doan but he seems like a reasonable man. if he wants to win I'm pretty sure him and Gillis can hammer out a reasonable deal. hopefully along the lines of 3 years for 15M.

Personally after all I have heard about the Messier fiasco a) I doubt if MG would put himself in that position. B) There seems too many possibilities for such a move to go wrong.

For a start the guy is a one team man and you get the impression that where he wants to be is not Vancouver. Secondly I don't think he brings enough to the table, his points are not great (averaging 20 goals and 55 pts over last 3 seasons) and we don't know that at his age, 35 he would provide the deterrent the Sedins need.

Many aspects of this set up mirrors the Messier scenario. From the fact that he doesn't want to leave Phoenix but they don't want to pay him what he is asking for down to the guy being a veteran and may be prone to injury or would not be able to change his ways/fit into what is already a tight dressing room. The only difference here is that this Canuck team is elite.

I would rather we tried to trade for Perry, Clowe or Kane along with Arnott. I don't think we need to pay premium for more leadership, we have that already, we need more pushback.

Perry averaged 38 goals and 78 pts over last 3 seasons. More importantly he averaged 114 PIM

Clowe also averaged 20 golas and 55 pts over last 3 seasons (same as Doan) but almost 50 PIM more per season.

Perry is 27 years of age and Clowe is 29. Both young enough to get their full potential in a 3/4 year contract.

My ideal would be to get them both, put Perry with the Sedins trade Booth and insert Clowe into a line of Clowe-Kesler-Burrows.

Bodee,comparing Messier to Doan is like comparing a great white shark(Messier) to a large,graceful fish (Doan).

Think tuna or marlin (Doan) landed by Gillis on the dock ,not shark(Messier) eating Gillis along with half the boat (Caucks organisation) and then taking out the dock(Canucks fans).

Doan will never be Messier.It is beyond comparison or comprehension.

Archived