The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Luongo for Hossa straight up

If Chicago is still a trading partner, I don't see why this trade couldn't happen because some people said Chicago wouldn't do it. But really, this is the perfect trade for BOTH teams to make and fills a critical role that each team has been missing for quite a while now. Both are roughly the same age at 33. Both have an huge contract that ends in 10+ years (Luongo 2022, Hossa 2021) but both have a reasonable cap hit towards the team (Luongo 5,333,333, Hossa 5,275,000) and both players have been on the decline since 2006-2007 season where Luongo 47-22-6 with 5 shoutout record and Hossa got 43 goals, 57 assists, 100 points that season.

I think business wise and for the good of each team involved it makes perfect sense. Chicago gets an Olympic and All Star goalie that they have been craving for since they won the cup. Let's face it for the past 2 didn't finish top 5 in the West, mainly due to the reason that goaltending has let them down here and there. With Luongo, they will definitely finish top 4 in the west and have home ice advantage. Canucks get the top 6 forward that they desperately need as you guys saw from the last two playoff rounds (Boston, Kings) that canucks have had a tremendously hard time scoring goals.

Hossa's value also has gone down quite a bit now with the concussion he has had recently. So this trade is definitely possible. Yes, some of you might say that Hossa is one of their top scorers and why would Chicago give him up. Well I'd consider Toews, Kane and Sharp better and can definitely still produce without him. And they have some young talent in Stalberg and Shaw that can step in to replace that secondary scoring. With Luongo in net, they would let in less goals per game than regularly. And a tandem of Luongo and Crawford is pretty good.

Thoughts?

Yea, Hossa would be awesome but I don't think Chicago would do it. It's too bad all the teams with highly skiled power forwards have goalies (Boston,Anaheim,NYR)

I'm praying for Weiss + Howden for Luongo+ and then we sign Doan and call it a Summer.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Weiss-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Edler-Garrison

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Yea, Hossa would be awesome but I don't think Chicago would do it. It's too bad all the teams with highly skiled power forwards have goalies (Boston,Anaheim,NYR)

I'm praying for Weiss + Howden for Luongo+ and then we sign Doan and call it a Summer.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Weiss-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Edler-Garrison

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lack

I have a hard time seeing how Chi goes for this, Hossa is a big part of their top six and they would then have 3 goalies signed. Can't see them able to offload Crawford and Emery has quite a bit of value with his play last year and 600 K contract. I think any deal with Chi would be centered around either Hjalmarsson or Bolland and a decent prospect. Chi needs more top 6 forwards as much or more than they need Luongo.

I see their line up looking like this right now.

Sharp Toews Stralberg

Frolik Bolland Kane

Bickell Kruger Shaw

Carcillo Mayers Bollig/Hayes.

That is a lot of inexperienced players and I don't see Bolland or Frolik true 2nd liners and Stralberg not a 1st line guy. Crazy how this team went from deepest in the league to struggling to fill out top 6.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Doan

Higgins-Weiss-Kassian

Volpatti-Lapierre-Hansen

Edler-Garrison

Bieksa-Hamhuis

Ballard-Tanev

Schneider

Lack

I'd take that deal; now if only the Hawks would likewise.

Why do people suggest taking back Hjalmarsson though? I don't want to be near that guy's contract for the minutes he's playing. I'd want Bolland, Morin and their 1st.

Then we can trade Bolland to Columbus (for Dubinsky?) just to troll him by sending him to this playoff contender :bigblush:

I have a hard time seeing how Chi goes for this, Hossa is a big part of their top six and they would then have 3 goalies signed. Can't see them able to offload Crawford and Emery has quite a bit of value with his play last year and 600 K contract. I think any deal with Chi would be centered around either Hjalmarsson or Bolland and a decent prospect. Chi needs more top 6 forwards as much or more than they need Luongo.

I see their line up looking like this right now.

Sharp Toews Stralberg

Frolik Bolland Kane

Bickell Kruger Shaw

Carcillo Mayers Bollig/Hayes.

That is a lot of inexperienced players and I don't see Bolland or Frolik true 2nd liners and Stralberg not a 1st line guy. Crazy how this team went from deepest in the league to struggling to fill out top 6.

Archived