The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - VAN - STL

STL is looking for an upgrade to top 4 D.

To Van: Alex Steen + Brett Ponich (or Ian Cole)

To Stl: Hansen + Ballard + pick

Pick would depend on if its Ponich or Cole. Not sure they'd be willing to part with Cole, so it would probably need to be Ponich.

For STL:

Ballard is an upgrade to top4 D. Hansen can play either wing to fill the gaps and is younger.

For Van:

Steen is underrated offensively and is sound defensively. He can also play center. We gain a little more size in the lineup and free up a little more Cap room for Doan.

I think I would rather have Hansen for 2 million less than Steen for the next two years especially with the concussion last year. Ballard I would only move if we have D coming back and Cole or Ponich won't be playing for a while. I'm also not sure Ballard is the guy to play with Pietrangelo.

What does Steen accomplish for us? We need one of the 220lb forwards off St Louis not Steen.

Our problem of secondary scoring is somewhat superficial. We're #1 and #5 in goals scored the last two years, but got shut down at times in the play off's. That was due to PHYSICAL mis matches, not lack of talent. Unless the talent player we bring on is extremely dynamic, such as Semin (but was not worth $7Mill), another talent player like Steen (who is otherwise a good player) really does but offer another mis match opportunity.

Getting Arnott as a free agent is a much better option!

STL is looking for an upgrade to top 4 D.

To Van: Alex Steen + Brett Ponich (or Ian Cole)

To Stl: Hansen + Ballard + pick

Pick would depend on if its Ponich or Cole. Not sure they'd be willing to part with Cole, so it would probably need to be Ponich.

For STL:

Ballard is an upgrade to top4 D. Hansen can play either wing to fill the gaps and is younger.

For Van:

Steen is underrated offensively and is sound defensively. He can also play center. We gain a little more size in the lineup and free up a little more Cap room for Doan.

Steen's numbers are pretty good, and he's defensively responsible and would fit well into our system. When I say underrated, I was looking at this link below. Look down that list of players and then you'll see the moneyball in this proposal. I like Hansen, but they won't want Raymond, and I like the upgrade in size. Hansen becomes even more expendable if we sign Doan.

http://tinyurl.com/bttkxea

Archived