The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Planning for next Season/Summer

This year's Free Agent pool was obviously very weak, with the exception of some stars like Parise,Suter and Doan. However, if you look ahead to next year's Free Agent Class, some notable names include

-Perry

-Getzlaf

-Horton

-Zajac

-Hartnell

-Morrow

-Fisher

-Lupul

-Roy

-Weiss

-Clowe

-etc

Pretty Strong group, so here's my proposal

We unload some cap-space this Summer and at the deadline and make room to throw money at some of these players. Some may want to stick on their contending teams (Horton with Boston for example) but others may not. Zajac may want to leave after watching Parise walk away as well as Getzlaf and Perry on the Ducks.

Here are some trades that would open up cap-space

To FLA-Luongo

To VAN-Howden,1st rd pick

This gives us a very big,skilled prospect that will be NHL ready within the next couple of years, and a 1st rd pick in a very deep draft.

To STL-Ballard,Sauve

To VAN-Alex Steen

St.Louis gets depth on defence while we get a gritty forward at a relatively cheap price.

Other moves could be made this Summer that would better prepare us for this up and coming season but would hand-cuff us next Summer. If we sign Doan for the money he's asking for, and with Burrows,Edler and Higgins all due for a raise, we won't be able to sign any of these great UFA's come July 1st.

So here's my question, do we A)Make moves that will benefit us now, and sign Doan to a big contract? or B)Let a season slide giving us a lower draft pick in a deep draft and save money to sign some of these free agents?

Thoughts?

@Nucks fan555555 those are the UFA's, here are some of the 2013 RFA's:

Alex Pietrangelo

Milan Lucic

Taylor Hall

Tyler Seguin

Tuukka Rask

Sam Gagner

Patric Hornqvist

Chris Stewart

Blake Wheeler

Zach Bogosian

OEL

Cody Hodgson

Clowe would be the most realistic of the list that we can actually sign because players like Hartnell, Perry, Getzlaf, Fisher, Weiss are pretty much going to sign with their respective teams. Unless they ask for crazy money. I can't see any of them leaving they're too valuable to their teams. I would love to sign Clowe next year.

@Nucks fan555555 those are the UFA's, here are some of the 2013 RFA's:

Alex Pietrangelo

Milan Lucic

Taylor Hall

Tyler Seguin

Tuukka Rask

Sam Gagner

Patric Hornqvist

Chris Stewart

Blake Wheeler

Zach Bogosian

OEL

Cody Hodgson

This year's Free Agent pool was obviously very weak, with the exception of some stars like Parise,Suter and Doan. However, if you look ahead to next year's Free Agent Class, some notable names include

-Perry

-Getzlaf

-Horton

-Zajac

-Hartnell

-Morrow

-Fisher

-Lupul

-Roy

-Weiss

-Clowe

-etc

Pretty Strong group, so here's my proposal

We unload some cap-space this Summer and at the deadline and make room to throw money at some of these players. Some may want to stick on their contending teams (Horton with Boston for example) but others may not. Zajac may want to leave after watching Parise walk away as well as Getzlaf and Perry on the Ducks.

Here are some trades that would open up cap-space

To FLA-Luongo

To VAN-Howden,1st rd pick

This gives us a very big,skilled prospect that will be NHL ready within the next couple of years, and a 1st rd pick in a very deep draft.

To STL-Ballard,Sauve

To VAN-Alex Steen

St.Louis gets depth on defence while we get a gritty forward at a relatively cheap price.

Other moves could be made this Summer that would better prepare us for this up and coming season but would hand-cuff us next Summer. If we sign Doan for the money he's asking for, and with Burrows,Edler and Higgins all due for a raise, we won't be able to sign any of these great UFA's come July 1st.

So here's my question, do we A)Make moves that will benefit us now, and sign Doan to a big contract? or B)Let a season slide giving us a lower draft pick in a deep draft and save money to sign some of these free agents?

Thoughts?

Archived