The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Canuck fans, please read from Panthers board

http://fans.panthers.nhl.com/community/topic/7657-luongo-will-he-be-gone/page__st__120

This is how most Panther fans feel about getting Luongo back. They don't want him back, they don't feel he's good anymore and they hate his contract every more. While you don't have to agree with everything they're saying, what they're saying is mostly true. You guys have to lower your expectations for the return on Luongo. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I know how lots of you love pointing that out.

http://fans.panthers...e/page__st__120

This is how most Panther fans feel about getting Luongo back. They don't want him back, they don't feel he's good anymore and they hate his contract every more. While you don't have to agree with everything they're saying, what they're saying is mostly true. You guys have to lower your expectations for the return on Luongo. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I know how lots of you love pointing that out.

http://fans.panthers...e/page__st__120

Our price is high for Luongo, not because we feel he is that valuable, but because we want the best for the team. The reason you guys don't want Luongo is because you don't want to give up anything significant. But in all reality, Luongo is still a fantastic goalie and is definitely underrated around the league. He is definitely not as bad as people make him out to be. His contract may not be the best, but the way contracts are going now-a-days, with players on the free agency market getting grossly overpaid, I don't think it is as bad as it's made out to be.

I don't think Luo will get a star player like Weiss or a NHL ready prospect with potential for a future Norris trophy in Gudbranson, but I do think we should get a reasonable return for him. Maybe Matthias and a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be a fair return.

At least, that's my take on this whole situation.

ahah that made me laugh most of the proposal/ players we want are reasonable like Weiss, Versteeg etc I don't know how many Panther fans actually watch hockey but Luongo is a elite goalie and top 10 in the league, just with him they could easily make the playoffs ...

To tell you the truth, I think most of them are actually right. I think Gillis is asking way too much for him. Florida made the playoffs last year with Theodore and they have Markstrom in development. It would be more wise for them to get the RW they need in Bobby Ryan than getting Luongo right now. If Florida feels they need improvement in net, they can easily wait out a year and sign a UFA goalie next season like Backstrom. It's not like they're going to be that much worse off than last year. Florida pretty much has all the leverage in this trade. They're in no rush to get Luongo.

As for the Canucks going into the reason with both goalies, yes it's good for us but seriously I'd rather have him gone and use that cap space to sign Doan.

Let's be honest here, with a non bias.

Okay you did make it to the playoffs and even "futhur" if you insist.

But you lost Garrison who was on your top pair, your goaltenders are a year older, I could see you making the playoffs again but I don't think it is a sure thing, I dont think you will win the division, so maybe you finish in 6th, 7th or 8th. but alot of teams in the east that didn't make the playoffs last year have improved, so you guys will probably have a tough time.

Let's be honest here, with a non bias.

Okay you did make it to the playoffs and even "futhur" if you insist.

But you lost Garrison who was on your top pair, your goaltenders are a year older, I could see you making the playoffs again but I don't think it is a sure thing, I dont think you will win the division, so maybe you finish in 6th, 7th or 8th. but alot of teams in the east that didn't make the playoffs last year have improved, so you guys will probably have a tough time.

Yes but I doubt most Panther fans and thier management team care much about making the playoffs next year. They know they realistically have 0 shot at winning the cup. They're building this team to win in 3 or 4 years. Let the Gudbransons, Huberdeaus, Bjudstads, Howdens, Shores, Markstroms develop. They don't need a 33 year old goalie

Shrug....many Canucks fans on CDC want to trade Ballard, Raymond and a 1st round for just about any player in the league....doesn't mean that it is going to happen. We want to get Bobby Ryan, but only want to give up Ballard, Raymond and a 1st? Anaheim can just decline and wait for a better offer....

Similarly, just because Panthers fans don't want Luongo back doesn't mean that Dale Tallon wouldn't want Luongo on his team. Panthers fans and Leafs fans don't like the contract? So what, the owners are the ones that are paying....

I'm not trying to say that Luongo will get us a huge return, but Gillis is really in no rush to trade Luongo. I honestly don't think he will panic and trade Luongo for a bad return...

He WAS an elite goalie and top 10 in the league. Anyone who thinks that the return for Luongo is going to be huge is kidding themselves. Luongo's contract is probably the third worst contract in terms of goalies in the NHL. Every team that has goalie needs has better options. Florida should just wait for Markstrom to develop, Toronto should go after someone on a shorter contract ala Niklas Backstrom and Chicago can't afford another long-term contract on their team. Luongo isn't going anywhere unless if the Canucks are willing to severely underpay to get rid of him.

Archived