The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ability to Roll Out 4 Lines...

disisdayear

The one thing that strikes me as a common theme among Cup winners is their ability to roll out four lines. When I look at the Canucks roster for the upcoming year, it pains me to say that we don't have the horses to do this. Even with a healthy Kesler, it's not likely that we can consistently roll out four lines.

Our line-up (including Kesler) looks similar to the group that couldn't get the job done the past two years and lacked four-line rollability (must be an acceptable new word...spell check didn't pick up as an error).

If I look at the team objectively, rather than through my usual rose colored glasses, here is what I see (based on current contracted players):

Daniel LW -- Henrik C -- Burrows RW

Booth LW -- Kesler C -- Raymond RW (whether we like it or not, Raymond is viewed by management as 2nd line forward)

Higgins LW -- Lapierre C -- Hansen RW

Volpatti/Pinizotto LW -- Malhotra C -- Kassian/Wiese RW

Ascending -- Kesler (only if he can regain his health), Kassian, Hansen

Peaked -- Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Booth, Lapierre, Wiese, Pinizotto (I'm guessing with Pinizotto)

Descending -- Higgins, Raymond, Voplatti, Malhotra

I hate to say this, but I think the Sedins, as elite as they are, have 2-3 years left at the level they are playing right now (we saw a drop off in 2011-2012, but I'm inclined to say injuries played a role in that...I'm still convinced that Henrik played with a broken bone in his foot since the Nashville game). I think players such as Booth, Burrows, Lapierre are as good as they are going to be.

Back to the topic of rolling four lines...with the roster above, I don't see us being able to do it. And breaking down the depth chart as above, though it looks like we can be competitive, the Sedins will most likely be playing secondary roles when we are back in the SCF.

I am big fan of thinking outside of the box that MG has brought to the organization, but I believe the key to keeping the players healthy and rested in face of disproptionate amount of travel and associated sleep deprivation they face, can be overcome by having four lines that can be rolled out night-after-night.

The same can be said for our defence...we need a top six, vs. the conventional top 4. In the absence of a Doughty, Weber, Suter (who can play 25+ minutes), we need to be able to roll out 3 pairs of d-men, with ice time equally distributed among them to keep everyone performing at their best. I think our defence is capable of this.

The one thing that strikes me as a common theme among Cup winners is their ability to roll out four lines. When I look at the Canucks roster for the upcoming year, it pains me to say that we don't have the horses to do this. Even with a healthy Kesler, it's not likely that we can consistently roll out four lines.

Our line-up (including Kesler) looks similar to the group that couldn't get the job done the past two years and lacked four-line rollability (must be an acceptable new word...spell check didn't pick up as an error).

If I look at the team objectively, rather than through my usual rose colored glasses, here is what I see (based on current contracted players):

Daniel LW -- Henrik C -- Burrows RW

Booth LW -- Kesler C -- Raymond RW (whether we like it or not, Raymond is viewed by management as 2nd line forward)

Higgins LW -- Lapierre C -- Hansen RW

Volpatti/Pinizotto LW -- Malhotra C -- Kassian/Wiese RW

Ascending -- Kesler (only if he can regain his health), Kassian, Hansen

Peaked -- Daniel, Henrik, Burrows, Booth, Lapierre, Wiese, Pinizotto (I'm guessing with Pinizotto)

Descending -- Higgins, Raymond, Voplatti, Malhotra

I hate to say this, but I think the Sedins, as elite as they are, have 2-3 years left at the level they are playing right now (we saw a drop off in 2011-2012, but I'm inclined to say injuries played a role in that...I'm still convinced that Henrik played with a broken bone in his foot since the Nashville game). I think players such as Booth, Burrows, Lapierre are as good as they are going to be.

Back to the topic of rolling four lines...with the roster above, I don't see us being able to do it. And breaking down the depth chart as above, though it looks like we can be competitive, the Sedins will most likely be playing secondary roles when we are back in the SCF.

I am big fan of thinking outside of the box that MG has brought to the organization, but I believe the key to keeping the players healthy and rested in face of disproptionate amount of travel and associated sleep deprivation they face, can be overcome by having four lines that can be rolled out night-after-night.

The same can be said for our defence...we need a top six, vs. the conventional top 4. In the absence of a Doughty, Weber, Suter (who can play 25+ minutes), we need to be able to roll out 3 pairs of d-men, with ice time equally distributed among them to keep everyone performing at their best. I think our defence is capable of this.

I don't know what goes on in the mind of AV. Yes, he is the winningest coach in our franchise's history - nothing to argue about there - but you can argue he isn't the best we had.

My two main supporting points are he favours certain players over others (Rome over Ballard, Raymond over Booth/Higgins/Kassian) and that he doesn't role all 4 lines during the post-season. Don't know why, the past 2 years, he's played all 4 lines greatly during the season, it's why our team has had the regular season success its had, but come post-season, he sticks to 3 and gives the 4th line 6-7 minutes while benching certain players therefore, only 1 or 2 4th liners get 6-7 minutes, benched guys will get 3-4. Sure it almost worked when we made the finals, but we somehow got it done to make it there playing against the odds doing so and it showed this year we couldn't do it again. If AV can just allow all 4 lines to give their share each game like how he does in the season in the playoffs, our team will be much better. Its a domino effect: 4th line gets more minutes, star players get more rest. More rest = more energy stored for later rounds = star players are harder to wear down. Not to mention, less chances of injury to our top players and our 4th line can wear down other opponents.

I don't know though, this is just my opinion. AV's coach for a reason, I believe in what he does, well at times :P , so I hope he can change some of his coaching flaws if he has any / these 2 that I pointed.

I predict that Burrows will have his best season yet...healthy Sedins, who had the whole season to recover playing with Burrows who is on his final year of his contract will be a very dangerous line...

Never underestimate a player's game when they are trying to earn a new contract (Burrows doesn't strike me as the greedy type though)

I don't know what goes on in the mind of AV. Yes, he is the winningest coach in our franchise's history - nothing to argue about there - but you can argue he isn't the best we had.

My two main supporting points are he favours certain players over others (Rome over Ballard, Raymond over Booth/Higgins/Kassian) and that he doesn't role all 4 lines during the post-season. Don't know why, the past 2 years, he's played all 4 lines greatly during the season, it's why our team has had the regular season success its had, but come post-season, he sticks to 3 and gives the 4th line 6-7 minutes while benching certain players therefore, only 1 or 2 4th liners get 6-7 minutes, benched guys will get 3-4. Sure it almost worked when we made the finals, but we somehow got it done to make it there playing against the odds doing so and it showed this year we couldn't do it again. If AV can just allow all 4 lines to give their share each game like how he does in the season in the playoffs, our team will be much better. Its a domino effect: 4th line gets more minutes, star players get more rest. More rest = more energy stored for later rounds = star players are harder to wear down. Not to mention, less chances of injury to our top players and our 4th line can wear down other opponents.

I don't know though, this is just my opinion. AV's coach for a reason, I believe in what he does, well at times :P , so I hope he can change some of his coaching flaws if he has any / these 2 that I pointed.

In what universe is Higgins descending???

:picard: you think the twins, Burr, and Booth have peaked?

Now obviously ice time isn't the same but at least for the first three lines AV has confidence in them.

I think our fourth could get a bit stronger by adding a depth forward but theat can be at the deadline or something

Completely agree. AV strikes me as a crazy, unpredictable coach...in the regular season, he plays all four lines consistently and for 90% of the games, he keeps all the lines consistent and doesn't make many changes.

Come playoff time, however, he benches the fourth line and once our team starts momentum, he immediately switches up ALL our lines. Even if they had been successful together the entire season.

It really makes no sense, when Daniel was injured, Lapierre was successful with Henrik and Burrows and then in the playoffs, AV puts Booth with Henrik instead. Why didn't he just try Booth with Henrik in the regular season when we already had a playoff spot?

Sigh, I'll never understand what goes on in his mind...

I have a hard time trying to figure out what method you used to determine this.

I agree that maybe Daniel and Henrik are as good as they are going to get right now and that Hansen could have an even better season next year, but saying that Higgins, Raymond, Volpatti and Malhotra are all heading in a negative direction in the play is a farce, 2 players who had serious injuries only a year and some ago, a player who arguably had his best role season last year and a player who did exactly what was expected of him?

Add in that you think Lapierre wont get better when he is only 27 and that Booth wont have a great season next year even knowing that he knows the system better now, makes me laugh at this post.

I don't agree with everything the OP said for example the declining players. I think most of our players are at the "peaked" stage, and a few at descending and a few at ascending (Kassian, Hansen, Schneider). I don't know what OP means by "peaked" but I think of it as players who won't get better, but won't get worse either. Of course it's hard to tell since a couple players are coming off of years where they couldn't train due to injuries (Kesler, Raymond, Malhotra) , they could possibly improve next year depending on how much their injuries affected them.

I completely agree about the rolling 4 lines thing, though. Right now we have 3 good forward lines, and then the revolving door 4th line. With our current healthy lineup, we will only have one regular NHL player on the 4th line (Lapierre or Malhotra), and two fringe NHL wingers. I would like to see a couple more players like Lapierre on that line, guys that can play consistently, be physical, and chip offensively once in while. Maybe we can sign or trade for a player, or maybe one of our current guys will emerge. Either way we need a better 4th line, because OP is completely right about Stanley Cup champs rolling 4 lines.

Completely agree. AV strikes me as a crazy, unpredictable coach...in the regular season, he plays all four lines consistently and for 90% of the games, he keeps all the lines consistent and doesn't make many changes.

Come playoff time, however, he benches the fourth line and once our team starts momentum, he immediately switches up ALL our lines. Even if they had been successful together the entire season.

It really makes no sense, when Daniel was injured, Lapierre was successful with Henrik and Burrows and then in the playoffs, AV puts Booth with Henrik instead. Why didn't he just try Booth with Henrik in the regular season when we already had a playoff spot?

Sigh, I'll never understand what goes on in his mind...

Totally sucks...I'm on my iPod most the time, at times when I write a huge post, I click the top to get back back to the top of the page but accidentally click refresh and erase everything :| pain killer, I feel for you - what sucks most is retyping and knowing you forgot that awesome line you wrote before lol.

We had a decent fourth line last season, before it was decimated by injuries. Pinizzotto, Volpatti, then Lapierre had to be removed. Also, in my opinion, Malhotra isn't best suited for a 4th line winger. If he was either put on the 3rd, and he could have a bounce back season, or put on the 4th as the centre with Lapierre on the 3rd. By the time playoffs came, nothing was working and it was evident how much of a problem our second line is. Unless Kassian can prove he is ready for that this season, possible, but I wouldn't bet on it, something needs to be done. That's why I'm glad they are pursuing Doan, even though it's a longshot that we get him. He would be perfect for our 2nd line. It's not that he is a brilliant playmaker, but the 2nd line struggled with Raymond, and the 3rd line without Higgins loses it effectiveness, so a player with his skill and grit would be really helpful. We aren't doomed without him, but he would be great.

Archived