The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need Help Buying a Laptop

dank.sinatra

So I had a relatively new macbook until my completely insane ex-girlfriend threw it off my apartment balcony...... Anyways I've been fine without one all summer but now that school is about to start again I need a new laptop. The Macbook was a gift, and I don't necessarily want another especially since I can't afford it.

I don't really know a lot about computers so I was hoping to get some advice on the best ones that won't cost me a fortune. I'm poor af so my budget is pretty much nothing over 450?? Is it even possible to get a half decent computer for that price?

I was just browsing these dunno if they're any good

http://www.futuresho...49673f7ba3den02

http://www.futuresho...d60ff704a25en02

any help would be great thanks!

I'd give you this advice:

1 - don't give in to buying a Netbook, a budget laptop is going to be better at your price point.

2 - No matter what you choose it will not be particularly portable due to the battery, but pick a size you feel comfortable with

3 - Try to avoid refurbished... it already broke once.

That sort of eliminates both the links you provided, but if you look hard enough you can certainly find something.

People can probably give you more advice if you tell them what you'd like to use the laptop for.

Just some examples that may or may not meet your needs (from a quick scan of NCIX)

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=73009&vpn=43835GU&manufacture=Lenovo&promoid=1254

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69124&vpn=LX%2ERR902%2E123&manufacture=Acer

Neither of these machines is a world beater, but if you aren't able to pay a little more ($500-600) then they are good examples of what is out there. Either is serviceable as a basic machine.

Something that is more often overlooked than not is the temperature capabilities of laptops, particularly the processor(s). Laptops are obviously very compact and heat up much more than a desktop. Overheating is one of the biggest laptop killers. Research the maximum temperature of the processor and choose one that is close to or over 100C as oppose to the ones that are closer to 85C.

Another common misconception is that all refurbished laptops were sold and then "broke". Many of them had faulty parts before even leaving the factory. And once it had to be opened up, and something replaced, the manufacturer legally has to deem it "refurbished". Ask the staff at the store what the situation is for the laptop in which you are interested.

Beyond that, unless you are a gamer or develop per of some sort, any of the new laptops (not netbooks as mentioned above) will have more than enough speed, memory, etc to suit your needs.

#1 reason why people are dissatisfied with Windows Laptops? Terrible, terrible hard drives and hard drive speeds. Both of those notebooks you linked are @5400rpm, it's going to be a slow ass mother fracker opening photos music videos files etc. Basically anytime you're going to use windows explorer.

I know nothing about these new laptop processors. Can anyone give me some advice?

I have a core 2 duo t5750 from '09. The screen and battery needs to be replaced though so I think I should just buy a new/used laptop. How does it compare to these newer laptops? Are the cheapest new processors faster than this one? I need the most basic laptop/netbook possible.

OP, it will depend on what you use it for. Do you game on your laptop? If it's just for simple stuff, you can definitely get a pretty solid laptop under $450.

Something that is more often overlooked than not is the temperature capabilities of laptops, particularly the processor(s). Laptops are obviously very compact and heat up much more than a desktop. Overheating is one of the biggest laptop killers. Research the maximum temperature of the processor and choose one that is close to or over 100C as oppose to the ones that are closer to 85C.

Another common misconception is that all refurbished laptops were sold and then "broke". Many of them had faulty parts before even leaving the factory. And once it had to be opened up, and something replaced, the manufacturer legally has to deem it "refurbished". Ask the staff at the store what the situation is for the laptop in which you are interested.

Beyond that, unless you are a gamer or develop per of some sort, any of the new laptops (not netbooks as mentioned above) will have more than enough speed, memory, etc to suit your needs.

If you're getting a PC, I suggest any Samsung.

Do you really need a laptop?

You get what you pay for - a cheap laptop will just be that - but for the same price you can get a decent desktop....

If it's a laptop for school, $450 will be fine. You don't really need to do much on it other than open up your browser, log into UBC Vista or SFU's WebCT or something similar, download some PDFs, and maybe use powerpoint and excel.

Like others have noted, you really only need to worry about the processor speed, and the hard drive speeds. Everything else is mostly irrelevant since at that price point, the components most definitely will not be top of the line.

If it's strictly for what I mentioned above, just grab the best one you can for the amount of money you can afford.

Archived