The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Need Help Buying a Laptop

dank.sinatra

#1 reason why people are dissatisfied with Windows Laptops? Terrible, terrible hard drives and hard drive speeds. Both of those notebooks you linked are @5400rpm, it's going to be a slow ass mother fracker opening photos music videos files etc. Basically anytime you're going to use windows explorer.

As far as netbooks/webbooks go: I use mine for simply CDC at home and watching YouTube and NetFlix. It was cheap and it does what I want it to. Battery life is magical! I get like 6-7 hours on a single charge if I'm just watching stuff off my harddrive with the screen dimmed.

This is completely made up BS.

There's a reason laptops tend to come with 5400 rpm HD's and not 7200 -- the heat generated was covered already in the thread but the amount of power drawn by a 7200 rpm drive kills the battery much quicker and defeats the purpose of having a laptop for most. Both heat and power reasons are why logically they come with 5400 rpm HD's.

The first laptop quoted in the OP is terrible.. while an ok value, with the specs it has I'd recommend an older version of Windows like XP which can make better use of those specs than Windows 7 which will drain it quickly and make usage more of a hassle than it needs to be. 2 GB of RAM is bad, very bad, plus at that price I suspect it's IGP which means that little amount of system RAM will be shared with VRAM making it more like 1-1.5GB of system RAM for Windows 7 and any RAM draining apps which should take the leftovers quickly and easily. Ridiculous.

The second laptop is better but the only review it has said it had trouble playing videos in 720p... I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop with Windows XP, 3GB of RAM, Intel GMA 4500 HD IGP (standard for laptops then) that I bought for $550 brand new from Newegg, and it plays+scales 1080p movies easily with outbound VGA and HDMI that scales to a 55-inch television beautifully. If even a laptop is not even capable of playing 720p something is wrong.

Microsoft has tried so hard to phase XP out it craps all over it's own Windows 7 laptops/notebooks/netbooks while not making any version of 7 that's works more efficiently with them. I'd only suggest either of these two laptops if you can put something else other than Vista or 7 on them.

This isn't BS, slow hard drives are crippling for computers. I'd rather get a laptop with a small SSD for the OS alone. OP says he's going to do some photo or video work, good luck sitting there waiting for that harddrive to fetch windows explorer.

If your not a gamer, then get a macbook. However since you can't afford it, let me give you some tips on laptop brands or one in particular.

Toshiba has the worst hard drive ever. Literally every three months the hard drive will crash and you will be left staring at a blank black screen swearing to yourself. The brand i would look at for buying a laptop if I still was a PC guy, would be HP.

If your not a gamer, then get a macbook. However since you can't afford it, let me give you some tips on laptop brands or one in particular.

Toshiba has the worst hard drive ever. Literally every three months the hard drive will crash and you will be left staring at a blank black screen swearing to yourself. The brand i would look at for buying a laptop if I still was a PC guy, would be HP.

I bet you have never taken anybody to small claims court. It is a monumental hassle. I took somebody to small claims court for a debt and it has been two years and we still have not have our day in court. The system is setup to discourage you from taking people to court unless you have $$$$$$.

Archived