The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snoop Dogg no more, now known as Snoop Lion

Snoop Lion? Snoop Dogg changes his name, goes reggae for ‘Reincarnation’

By Soraya Roberts

Blogger

Posts .By Soraya Roberts | The Juice – 17 hours ago

Snoop Dogg has let the cat out of the bag.

The rapper (born Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr.) has announced he is changing his name to Snoop Lion. This is the third time he's changed his name (he was previously known as Snoop Doggy Dogg), but he seems serious about it -- he even updated his Twitter handle.

"I want to bury Snoop Dogg, and become Snoop Lion," he said at a news conference in New York, revealing that the new name was bestowed upon him by Rastafarian priests during a trip to Jamaica in February 2011.

See more: Snoop Dogg denied entry into Norway for two years

The 40-year-old "Boom" hit-maker explained that he visited a temple while in Jamaica. "The High Priest asked me what my name was, and I said, 'Snoop Dogg.' And he looked me in my eyes and said, 'No more. You are the light; you are the lion.'"

Snoop's "rebirth" also includes his musical style. The man who believes he is "Bob Marley reincarnated" has traded in the gangsta rap genre that made him famous in order to focus on reggae music, which he called the "music of love."

Anyone interested in Snoops new reggae album??

If he's truly giving up the 'gangta rap' genre ( :lol: at the term coming out of my mouth), then yeah I'm interested in hearing some Snoop Lion reggae!

But wasnt he named Snoop Dogg because of his mom and his love for Snoopy from Charlie Brown? I would have thought that name would hold some sentimental value to him.

Don't care about his name, his new stuff sucks. Same with Eminem.

I understand that rappers think they need to "evolve" to stay relevant... but they end up sounding like crap.

Good thing Kanye went back a bit, not on par with his first two albums, but better than the autotune crap.

He's a rasta now? Didn't he just declare he was a member of the Nation of Islam? And like 2 months before that he was throwing up crip references. Pretty sure all of those ideologies have some major conflicts.

Archived