The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks also interested in Jason Arnott

If Schroeder and Kassian are not ready to play bigger roles then Jason and Shane Doan would be great additions.

Twins - Burr

Booth - Kes - *Hansen/ Doan

Higgins - *Schroeder/ Arnott - *Kassian

Manny - Lapierre - Weise/ Pini

I think if Hansen reaches another level in his offensive game (his career high 39-points were, granted, helped by having someone of Cody's offensive caliber on the 3rd line so his game should only improve on the 2nd with even better line mates) he deserves to be given the chance to stick on the 2nd, while the same applies for Kassian getting regular minutes on the 3rd, along with Schroeder.

If any of the rookies falter then having Doan and Arnott around to pick up the scoring would be the best option (I think getting Arnott signed would be more beneficial, since he has size, is responsible on D and has a good shot which could make the 2nd unit more lethal, plus he would most likely be cheaper than Doan and he offers the size necessary to thrive in the playoffs, whereas on the wing the Canucks could be good to go with Burr, Hansen and Kassian as the top 3 right wings if they are ready).

we "arnott" going to sign Jason Arnott. Not because he isn't valuble, but because he doesn't fit into their long term plan. The Canucks are trying to get younger, and build a contending team for years to come. Shane Doan is the kind of guy that can help this team win now and is hungry and is still an effective player. Arnott's best years are behind him and he's won a Cup before so he won't have the same drive as everyone else. The team doesn't need a guy who is just looking to just finish out his career. They need someone the team wants to play for, someone who can contribute both on and off the ice. The players that come to mind that fit this category are Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla

I disagree WEwantCUP. I think his leadership and veteran "know how" on the ice could make an asset to this team. He could be a great model for some of our younger guys rotating around in the bottom six, and can still hold his own in the faceoff circle. Not to mention his size. Yea he's old, but there's been older and worse who've made bigger impacts on teams than us fans could ever have expected. And i dont think his cup is a bad thing at all either. I mean some of the guys in the locker room need someone to tell/show them what it REALLY takes to win a cup.

I don't think well sign him though. (That's not to say i wouldn't be happy to get him)

I'm just playing devils advocate.

we "arnott" going to sign Jason Arnott. Not because he isn't valuble, but because he doesn't fit into their long term plan. The Canucks are trying to get younger, and build a contending team for years to come. Shane Doan is the kind of guy that can help this team win now and is hungry and is still an effective player. Arnott's best years are behind him and he's won a Cup before so he won't have the same drive as everyone else. The team doesn't need a guy who is just looking to just finish out his career. They need someone the team wants to play for, someone who can contribute both on and off the ice. The players that come to mind that fit this category are Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla

Just wondering, but is The Honey Badger our Marchand? once we give him top 6 minutes he could prove himself to us.

It opens up a spot for Kassian too.

If we didn't sign Doan, I'd try Hansen on the 2nd and Kassian on the 3rd as well as sign Arnott. Kassian makes up for Arnott's lack of physicality but both of their abilities to maintain the puck along the boards could complement each other nicely.

Say we get Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, he is commited to playing another year in College right? Arnott would be a good temporary 3rd line centre next season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Higgins - Arnott - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Malhotra buy out or waivers.

Well Doan and Arnott are not quite comparable atm.

Doan seems to still have a couple of solid top 6 production level seasons left in him, while Arnott has regressed to a bottom six role (2 years older I believe). However, both are tremendous players in their own right, and Arnott would in fact be a perfect 3C for this team. Last season he had 30+ points and was sporting a +13 rating.

Stanley Cup to boot.

Options are out there- lets just be patient.

Listening to Sekeras and Tony Gallagher on the radio this afternoon, both were pretty animated about how Arnott is not the greatest guy in the room. They did not call him a cancer, but they said something along the lines of that Arnott is not the greatest with younger players, and would not be the guy to bring in to help teach the younger guys.

If Kes comes back sooner than anticipated, I don't think Arnott would want to play on the 4th line; Anywhere else, and he could be a solid 3rd line (possibly a 2nd on the bottom feeders that need to get to the cap floor). I can see another team give him more than what he's worth. If he joins the Nucks, it'll be for below UFA market value and because he wants to win a cup. My hunch is that he'll follow the $$$.

If Kes comes back sooner than anticipated, I don't think Arnott would want to play on the 4th line; Anywhere else, and he could be a solid 3rd line (possibly a 2nd on the bottom feeders that need to get to the cap floor). I can see another team give him more than what he's worth. If he joins the Nucks, it'll be for below UFA market

value and because he wants to win a cup. My hunch is that he'll follow the $$$.

Archived