The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks also interested in Jason Arnott

No means guaranteed, I was just drooling at the possibilities!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Jason Arnott ($2.875m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Mason Raymond ($2.275m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,770,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $570,000

While I think this is an acceptable band-aid for the 2nd line until Kes gets back and a good option 2nd unit PP Center...

...not sure I like the idea of Arnott being the 3rd line C, he doesn't have the wheels to keep up with Higgins and Hansen... I like Lappy on the 3rd line, those guys have a lot of energy together.

Say we get Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, he is commited to playing another year in College right? Arnott would be a good temporary 3rd line centre next season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Higgins - Arnott - Hansen

Weise - Lappiere - Kassian

Malhotra buy out or waivers.

Arnott would be a great asset for the team. He knows how to win and he scored a cup clincher goal.

A leader on and off the ice, I would love to has this old dog. I think he is still hungry for another shot at a cup and will prove to be an asset.

I don't think Schroeder is anywhere to being NHL ready. He needs top 6 minutes to flourish.

Jason Arnott is notorious for being the opposite of a role model , leader type of guy! He hates young players on his team and in the league because he feels they are trying to takeover his job..He would not be good in the dressing room around guys like Kassian Jensen Schroeder.

Say no to him.

Jason Arnott is notorious for being the opposite of a role model , leader type of guy! He hates young players on his team and in the league because he feels they are trying to takeover his job..He would not be good in the dressing room around guys like Kassian Jensen Schroeder.

Say no to him.

No means guaranteed, I was just drooling at the possibilities!

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Jason Arnott ($2.875m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Mason Raymond ($2.275m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,770,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $570,000

I'm in the "hoping we add Arnott" camp.

Our team was best last year when we had 3 lines that were legitimately capable of scoring. When we traded away Hodgson, that number was reduced to 2 lines. Arnott would inject that 3rd line scoring potential back into our roster.

The beauty of a 3rd line that can score is that it creates one of 2 problems for the opposition - either it forces their top 4 d-men to play more minutes against the 3rd line, which opens things up for the top 2 lines playing against tired d-men, or it creates a situation where we get a 3rd line that can score playing against the other team's weakest d-pairing. When Hodgson was playing last year, it's true that he benefitted from easier match-ups - and look at the results we got from those mis-matches!

The other nice thing about having a 3rd centre with offensive upside is that if injuries come to your top 2 centres, you aren't stuck with only one line that can score. There's no position where depth is more crucial than at centre.

Yes - the Kings were faster than us, but we simply couldn't score. The Kings were able to focus all their top defensive presence on our top 2 lines, which made it much harder to score. I'd rather have a slower Arnott who can help open things up offensively than a Pahlsson who did nothing to generate any kind of offense for us.

If we are really desperate to rush Schroeder into the NHL, bring him in as a 4th line centre, and move Lapierre and Malhotra to the wings.

That is a plus in his favour. Doan and the 3-4 year deal is a little off-putting for me.

A few seasons ago, with some injury trouble, that would have been completely true. He's managed to stay healthy more recently however and been a reasonable contributor despite his age.

My concerns are this: he was sheltered a little last year and didn't face particularly tough competition. I think he over-achieved a little and might decline somewhat this year.* He could still be a good option, but by no means is a guarantee and Kesler would likely have to play against tougher competition like when Hodgson was 3rd line C.

* Source: BehindTheNet.ca

Archived