The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks Sign Alexandre Mallet

UFCanuck

The Next Undrafted Gem? Alexandre Mallet

Mallet really came out of nowhere this season for the Rimouski Oceanic, scoring 34 goals and adding 47 assists for 81 points in 68 games. The gritty pivot also added an impressive 123 penalty minutes while posting a very good +27 plus/minus differential. That’s a 62-point increase over the 2010-11 season during which he only potted 10 goals and added 9 assists for 19 points in 60 games with the Oceanic. The native of Amqui, Quebec had never recorded more than 19 points during his first four seasons in the QMJHL. A late bloomer, as shown by his unexpected offensive production, Mallet has good hands and great vision on the ice, and he can play the game any way you want. A tough and gritty forward, Mallet can really fight and play a sound two-way game.

Currently playing on a line with Alex Belzile and Peter Trainor, Mallet has 5 goals and 8 assists for 13 points in 10 playoff game with Rimouski this season. Similar to Yanni Gourde with the Victoriaville Tigres, Mallet never had the chance to crack the Oceanic’s top six until last September, which is one of the main reasons why he never produced offensively before this campaign. A typical power-forward, Mallet is strong with the puck and doesn’t shy away from a good tussle as shown below. He is also very adept at screening goalies, especially on the power play, and he’s fairly efficient at it, modelling his play on Tomas Holmstrom of the Detroit Red Wings.

Mallet is not simply a fighter that picks up garbage goals around the net, he can also score beauties thanks to a booming slap shot and soft hands, and his goals often come in bunches; he scored an impressive five goals against Chicoutimi on March 16, 2012, a feat that NHL All-Stars and former Rimouski Oceanic players such as Sidney Crosby, Brad Richards and Vincent Lecavalier never even accomplished during their stellar junior careers. Mallet will certainly receive several offers from professional teams and it would not be surprising to see him play in the AHL as soon as next season as he is physically mature and ready to play against bigger men. He was even invited to the St. Louis Blues training camp in September 2010.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-next-undrafted-gem-alexandre-mallet/

Seems people in the know, know more than you, Canucklax.

no 2011-12 was his overage year. He's been passed over before. The year before he had 19 points, the year before that 10

Whether you like Mallet or not, he WAS NOT an overage player last season.

He turned 20 on May 22, 2012 after the season was over.

He was 19 years old for the entire 2011-12 season. That is a normal age for juniors.

have fun with blind faith

He was a good pick, after Thrower was gone I didn't have much interest in anyone else, other than maybe Scott Kosmachuk.

Being a late bloomer is taking more time to develop, some good players take more time to develop once they get to the AHL/NHL level and still become good players, he just had to take that extra time to develop earlier on, I don't think it's that big of a disadvantage, because we know what we are getting, those other players may faulter next season and not turn out, while Mallet has already done that and is capable of playing in the pro game.

If people can go undrafted and become good players then that makes drafting an overage player not seem so bad. There similar in that it took them longer and look at Tanev, Burrows, Lack just to name ours, then there are a ton of others throughout the league who are good players.

I don't see any reason why it's a bad pick, if you think he doesn't have skill you should watch this.

And as you can see Mackinnon and Drouin didn't help him because they didn't even play on the same team.

It seems theres too many people who will just blindly follow mg in here too see that mallet is nothing more than a 2nd pick that will be a career ahl'er

pick him later in the draft, fine but a 2nd round pick is wasted on him

Whatever you say bud, but can you just tell us why you think you know better than Gillis and the Canuck's scouting staff when it comes to drafting.

It seems theres too many people who will just blindly follow mg in here too see that mallet is nothing more than a 2nd pick that will be a career ahl'er

pick him later in the draft, fine but a 2nd round pick is wasted on him

I'm glad you pulled out your magic ball to give us a heads up on this one.

Who would you rather have picked?

Whatever you say bud, but can you just tell us why you think you know better than Gillis and the Canuck's scouting staff when it comes to drafting.

Don't get ahead of yourself thinking gillis is a drafting god. cody's the only pick to play regular minutes from his time as gm, and all the others such as schroeder are question marks

yes I got his team wrong, sorry for not following the frenchie league closely, my point still stands he only did well because he was more physically developed than his competition

You mean he was more physically developed than the other 19 year olds he was playing against ?

He didn't turn 20 until May 2012, after the season ended. He WAS NOT an overage player.

Don't get ahead of yourself thinking gillis is a drafting god. cody's the only pick to play regular minutes from his time as gm, and all the others such as schroeder are question marks

I never said Gillis is a drafting God, I just asked you if you think you could do a better job at it, and you still won't answer.

Bjugstad is going to finish his 4th season with the gophers next season, but he'll still be in the NHL before Gaunce. and yeah, it would have to be bjugstad plus other pieces, for lou and gaunce.

Yup, but I don't think any deal is getting done until the Doan sweepstakes end.

You mean he was more physically developed than the other 19 year olds he was playing against ?

He didn't turn 20 until May 2012, after the season ended. He WAS NOT an overage player.

he's still playing against, 16 17 year old kids who are much smaller and less developed then he is whether he was 20 or almost 20

Archived