The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Canucks Sign Alexandre Mallet

UFCanuck

you and many others on here agree with you, even though I and everyone on here had the exact same amount of gm'ing experience before he got hired

Yet clearly his NHL resume was much more complete than you and everyone else on here. And, as others have said, he certainly had more GM experience than any of us by the time he drafted Mallet.

you asked if I felt I could do a better job, I answered.

It'd be great if I'm wrong and Mallet turns into something, but I'm not holding my breath or recommending you all to either

And we're simply trying to analyze and comprehend how you can claim that based on sporadic television viewing and possibly being a non-hockey playing college athlete.

you and many others on here agree with you, even though I and everyone on here had the exact same amount of gm'ing experience before he got hired

Mike Gillis had a professional hockey career lasting from 1978 to 1984, including 246 NHL games.

Upon retiring from playing hockey, Mike Gillis coached the Queen's University Golden Gaels hockey team in 1985–86. He earned a law degree from Queen's University in 1990, and became a player agent. His clientele over the years included Pavel Bure, Markus Näslund, Bobby Holík, and Mike Richter among others.

That is what MG had before becoming a NHL GM, what do you have?

Last year Gillis told us we could hire a prospect to equalize physical mis matches in the play off's. And we traded a productive guy in our line up to get him. Conjecture aside, that is still what happened. This went against the time tested formula's.

Now we have a new experiment. Draft overage players because we can see very closely how ready they are physically, an attempt to take some risk out of drafting. But it is an experiment, and it equally risks that we miss out on the more exciting but less developed prospect who blossoms into more. You could say we are learning from finds like Tanev, Lack and Burrows?

But those two decisions go to opposite ends of logic. Gillis seems willing to break convention in any decision.

And its not the only time either. Moneyball at one end, pay Doan or Sundin at the other... Trade a prospect (Grabner) for a veteran Ballard to fill a specific role at one end, trade an established player for a prospect to fill a specific role at the other.

Look, at the end of the day Gillis has to fill all the roles we need. The lustre of many correct decisions filling roles 2 and 3 years ago is offset by unfolding drama's. He is putting those roles back together having broken it up a bit with some bad decisions since. I see more risks to make up for some bad outcomes. Is it fair to question?

He offers a different roller coaster than Burke, but we're still well positioned. That's still the ultimate evaluation. Lets see if his current logic works...

edit; but taking a shot > at least Burke was entertaining and accountable when he faffed up instead of throwing others under the bus!

B)

So you're saying that you could do a better job of drafting than Gillis?

He also had Sundin and Demitra as clients; both whom later got sweetheart deals from us?

:bigblush:

Mike Gillis had a professional hockey career lasting from 1978 to 1984, including 246 NHL games.

Upon retiring from playing hockey, Mike Gillis coached the Queen's University Golden Gaels hockey team in 1985–86. He earned a law degree from Queen's University in 1990, and became a player agent. His clientele over the years included Pavel Bure, Markus Näslund, Bobby Holík, and Mike Richter among others.

That is what MG had before becoming a NHL GM, what do you have?

Alex Burrows had 9 points in 82 games in the NHL as a 26 year old.

3 years later he scored 35 goals and had 67 points.

Nobody saw that coming, not even the great "Canucklax".

The Olympics are a great example. Ryan Lochte is 27 the same age as Michael Phelps but has just now reached his peak level.

Where as Phelps reached his peak as a 23 year old.

How come your not with a NHL club in some capacity? You seem to know more than the GM of this club. Christ if i had your knowledge the last place i would be is on a internet forum. I would be bustin down team doors saying look at me i am better than what you got gimme the GM position.

You need an 'in'. And basically, if you've never played professional hockey at some level you don't have any chance. There are some credible, intelligent hockey people that don't have a professional hockey playing background and lacking that crushes any hope of ever actually having an NHL related career. Mike Yeo and Dan Bylsma come to mind. Both finished their careers and were hired by the last team they played for. That would never happen for a keyboard warrior no matter how much you know about the game.

Not responding directly to you of course. But on the subject as a whole

Gillis is informed as to who is available and whom the scouting staff recommends he take to fill the role that needs filling.

He then consults with his inner circle,mulls it over and makes the final decision.

There are hundreds of years of hockey experience evaluating every single draft pick selection.

As Canuck Surfer stated,there are immediate needs of the club to be addressed and a pick may be an attempt to fill a missing hole in the lineup.

It is all about winning right now and the Canucks have chosen to fill a need with the Mallet pick.

The Canucks.org have done a decent job in the past two drafts.

“The way we run the draft, we’ve taken the most skilled player, the highest guy on our list, in the first two rounds,” Gilman tells the Sun, “In the case of [Alexandre Mallet] we had him ranked high, and one of the reasons we liked him is that he’s a big physical center who is going through a rapid development path at this point.”

While there is plenty of risk in picking players who haven’t stood out until they are older than much of their competition, there is also the potential for finding a market inefficiency, as other teams tend to overlook such players.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/06/23/canucks-skew-older-in-the-2012-nhl-draft/

3-4 days a week during the season, if it was even my job, could be more

So tell me do you watch the games like a scout; watching only one player the whole game because if you do not you have no clue of how scouts watch games. When you watch games do you even know what to look for to fill out a scouting report. I say you are one of those people who thinks he knows but knows sh... and look foolish a lot of time with what comes out of your mouth.

Mallet if you have watch his games gets a lot of goals by being be in the right position at the right time which is hockey sense.

In years before he didn't get a chance, much like Burrows, to shine in a top six position. Unlike Burrows he did not have two of the top players in the league to help him shine, but like Burrows did shine with the chance given. He was 19 not 20 when he got the chance to play top six.

To make the statement the players around him made him look good is beyond stupid; regradless of how talented the players are all three need skills for a line to work. I suggest you watch the replays of his goals and see the hockey sense and skill he does have.

He has just as much chance of making the NHL as any player drafted after the top 25.

Archived