The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] Why Boxing Is TRULY a Disgrace Now

***Video of fight (near the end and knockdown's) are in the link if you want to see***

http://deadspin.com/...ing-match-fixed

Knockdowns are exceedingly rare in Olympic boxing. Japan's Satoshi Shimizu knocked down Azerbaijan's Magomed Abdulhamidovfive times in the third and final round of their bantamweight bout yesterday. And yet, the judges scored the round in favor of the one who spent more time on the canvas than on his feet.

"
I was shocked by the final scores. He fell down so many times,"
"Why didn't I win? I don't understand.
"

After Abdulhamidov was awarded the 22-17 victory over Shimizu, the uproar began. Fans rained boos from the stands, and Japanese officials immediately lodged a protest. It was, by any account, the biggest competitive disgrace of the Olympics so far. And there's reason to ask if this was more than the usual Olympic boxing incompetence, but rather something more sinister.

Last September, BBC Newsnight presented evidence that Azerbaijan had paid millions of dollars in an international boxing organization, in return for a guarantee that two Azerbaijanis would win gold medals at these London Olympics. They found documents showing a $9 million bank transfer, funneled through Switzerland, to a boxing organization owned by AIBA, which oversees Olympic boxing. Whistleblowers reported that the money came from an Azerbaijan government minister, and were strictly a cash-for-medals exchange.

"Ivan boasted to a few of us that there was no need to worry about World Series Boxing having the coin to pay its bills. As long as the Azeris got their medals, WSB would have the cash."

Another said that Mr Khodabakhsh came in and said: "We are safe now - Azerbaijan came in - we have to give them medals for that."

"
He was talking about gold medals in London in return for millions of dollars of secret payments," the insider added. "
Medals are being sold so blatantly it's amazing.
"

Azerbaijan denied the allegations, and an AIBA committee found them groundless. (The $9M was deemed to be a "purely commercial investment.") But here we are! Azerbaijan's Abdulhamidov was awarded a win he didn't come close to earning.

This one has a happy ending, sort of. Late last night, AIBA officials upheld Japan's appeal, and awarded the bout to Shimizu. Their statement:

After reviewing the video of Bout #105 involving Bantamweights Satoshi Shimizu (Japan) and Magomed Abdulhamidov (Azerbaijan), the Competition Jury made the following decision:

- The boxer from Azerbaijan fell down six (6) times during the 3rd round. According to our rules, the Referee should have counted at least three (3) times. In this case, following the AIBA Technical & Competition Rules, the decision should have been RSC (Referee Stop Contest);

- Therefore the protest lodged by the Japanese corner is accepted and the result of this bout overturned.

AIBA officials will consider on Thursday morning whether to sanction the referee of this bout.

Shimizu moves on. Abdulhamidov goes home. The Turkmenistani ref may be punished for not stopping the fight. The judges? Nothing happens to them. Olympic boxing remains a joke.

For a handy master schedule of every Olympic event, click here.

The problem in this sport, and this is more so related to the Bradley/Pacquio fight is that the god damn promoters are just moguls and can throw around so much cash just so their guy can win. I mean the promoter must have made around $25 million from the Bradley fight, and he must have told the ref that he would give him $1 Million and the judges about $2 Million a piece if they just make sure that Bradley wins, and I know that if I were one of those judges or refs that are about to retire, I would jump at the opportunity to make the money, that is why the sport of boxing is so corrupted now a days.

This really ticks me off and this must suck for the city of London having to first deal with the badminton crap and now this, ITS A JOKE!

I watched Brazil and Azerbaijan yesterday, and I thought that one was bad, Wow.

Yesterday Azerbaijan kept grabbing Brazil and pulling the head down, yet Brazil was getting docked points. After loads of Boos, the ref finally started calling it correctly and Azerbaijan was DQed.

Maybe thats why such a clear case in Azerbaijan / Japan today.

I would have loved to see 2 KOs, lets see them buy the medal then.

Nothing new for boxing,

Jake LaMotta

Biographical Information Sex: M Age: 60 Birth Date: February 14, 1951 Astrology Sign: Aquarius Chinese Sign: Rabbit - Yin Birth Name: Birth Place: Website:

Search for more:

JAKE LAMOTTA JakeLaMotta.jpg

Biography: Jake LaMotta LaMotta won the world title in 1949 in Detroit against Frenchman Marcel Cerdan, who was the world champion. Cerdan, called by many boxing critics the greatest champion ever from France, dislocated his arm in the first round and gave up before the start of the tenth, the official scoring being LaMotta winner by a knockout in ten because the bell had already rung to begin that round when Cerdan announced he was quitting. A rematch was signed, but while Cerdan was flying back to the United States to fight the rematch, his Air France Lockheed Constellation crashed at the Azores, killing everyone on board. LaMotta met two challengers (Tiberio Mitri and Laurent Dauthuille) and beat them, and then he was challenged by Robinson on their rivalry's sixth fight. Held on February 14, 1951, the fight became known as boxing's version of The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Robinson won by a technical knockout in the thirteenth round, when the fight was stopped with LaMotta lying on the ropes. In 1953, LaMotta shocked the sports world when he was called to testify by the FBI in the hearings they were holding against some mafia groups. LaMotta said during the hearing, perhaps not realizing that he was also harming his own image, that he had thrown the fight in 1948 with Billy Fox in exchange for a shot against world champion Cerdan. Throwing the fight affected his reputation greatly, but he still believes that it was worthwhile.

After retirement, he bought a few bars and became a stage actor and stand up comedian

I watched Brazil and Azerbaijan yesterday, and I thought that one was bad, Wow.

Yesterday Azerbaijan kept grabbing Brazil and pulling the head down, yet Brazil was getting docked points. After loads of Boos, the ref finally started calling it correctly and Azerbaijan was DQed.

Maybe thats why such a clear case in Azerbaijan / Japan today.

I would have loved to see 2 KOs, lets see them buy the medal then.

They desperately need some new faces in the sport. I think if that happened, and they got some more publicity, than the sport would become much more respectable. They also need to get rid of the guy that runs most of boxing. I forget his name, but he's African American and is always waving a US flag wherever he goes. Sorry for the lame description, all I know is that this guy is a leech and has driven the sport into the ground.

If anyone could provide a name for the guy I'm thinking of, it would be much appreciated.

People don't seem to realize that Amateur boxing (olympic boxing) is based on a points only system. Only scoring punches count as points. Knock downs don't factor into the amateur scoring system. So it is feasible that one could outscore an opponent but knocked down multiple times.

Clearly the ref made an error because amateur matches can also be won based on a TKO (3 knockdown limit). The appeal and subsequent decision found this to be the case.

So the better fighter won. Don't know why people have to condem boxing. Sure, there might be cause for concern, but the majority of fights are professional scored, ref'd and well fought.

People don't seem to realize that Amateur boxing (olympic boxing) is based on a points only system. Only scoring punches count as points. Knock downs don't factor into the amateur scoring system. So it is feasible that one could outscore an opponent but knocked down multiple times.

Clearly the ref made an error because amateur matches can also be won based on a TKO (3 knockdown limit). The appeal and subsequent decision found this to be the case.

So the better fighter won. Don't know why people have to condem boxing. Sure, there might be cause for concern, but the majority of fights are professional scored, ref'd and well fought.

Archived