The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Langara YMCA vs Golds Gym

Deviatorz

This question is more geared towards someone who has been to both, but any opinion is welcomed. I'm looking to body build (serious commitment) and I'm deciding between these two gyms. I've tried the free 7-day pass from golds and I gotta say, its superb. I also dropped by YMCA and the equiptment was good as well. What I liked most about YMCA is that I can also get access to other programs, recreational activities and amenities such as the swimming pool and courts.

I've done my fair share of research and it pretty much narrows down to equipment, environment, and price. There are people out there selling their Gold membership and it comes to about $40/month. However, I can also take advantage of the student discount membership of $46 month at YMCA. After the joiner fee taken into account, I think I pay about $15 more for YMCA compared to Golds (possible save a bit more on gas from going to YMCA) per month. With the extra amenities, I think it is a good way to go. I plan on using those extras as I do swim and play other sports as well.

So onto equipment. Being a novice bodybuilder and all, I will be unable to comment on the quality of the equipment provided by both gyms.From what I've seen, both have decent machinery; YMCA have added new equipments. Does YMCA have the same amount of machines compared to Golds? I did see a smiths and a couple benchpresses at YMCA so thats good.

As for the environment I have to say, golds is better. YMCA is made up of the two extremes for age group, either old or young. This doesn't bother me too much as long as they aren't hogging a equipment. There are quite the number of people frequenting at YMCA.
Does anyone know if it's still crowded at YMCA after 9pm? Only concern is the weighlifting and bodybuilding areas.

One last note is that I do plan to travel and leave for a month so with the contracts at golds, am I able to put it on hold? I hope this isn't too long of a read and please feel free to leave some comments. Much appreciated!

I can't speak for the Y but I've been with Gold's for awhile now, split between West Edmonton Mall and the one on Lougheed in Burnaby.

I can tell you that Gold's does have a setup where you can put your account on hold, but I think you still have to pay $5/month or something.(They went over it with me when I signed up but I've forgotten the specifics).

What I have found is that Gold's is very different gym to gym. The one in West Ed had a pool/hot tub, gym (basketball courts/etc) and [i love this] 24/7 hours. The one in Burnaby is more catered to a male/female split, tighter hours and more superficial amenities.

Edit: People are selling their memberships for $40/month? You could get your own, with parking passes and everything for like $44/month, probably cheaper if you were willing to sign up for 3 years.

I can't speak for the Y but I've been with Gold's for awhile now, split between West Edmonton Mall and the one on Lougheed in Burnaby.

I can tell you that Gold's does have a setup where you can put your account on hold, but I think you still have to pay $5/month or something.(They went over it with me when I signed up but I've forgotten the specifics).

What I have found is that Gold's is very different gym to gym. The one in West Ed had a pool/hot tub, gym (basketball courts/etc) and [i love this] 24/7 hours. The one in Burnaby is more catered to a male/female split, tighter hours and more superficial amenities.

Edit: People are selling their memberships for $40/month? You could get your own, with parking passes and everything for like $44/month, probably cheaper if you were willing to sign up for 3 years.

Archived