The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 2 trades With FLA & TOR, Kesler on LTIR, 2 Major Signings & A Lineup with 13 top-9 Forwards & 7 top-6 D-Men

Hi.

A longish read but a good one.

The title explains everything in it.

- Every season for the Canucks, there seems to be an incredulous amount of injuries. So with this proposal, there isn't a whole lot of movement, just a log jam of players to keep the team rested, similar to Philadelphia.

- When Kesler comes off LTIR anywhere in December, he will have missed ~40% of the season, so that is how much the Canucks would be able to go over the salary cap ($2~ million).

- When Kesler comes back, players like Ebbett, Volpatti & Tanev who are all one 2-way contracts would be able to go to the AHL whenever for cap purposes.

- Having 13 good forwards (like the Flyers, Canucks last season or Nashville after this past trade deadline) and having 7 good defenders (like the Flyers, Sharks or the Penguins of 2008-09) would help immensely come playoff time.

- Upshall's salary is high ($3.5 million), but having him would give the middle/bottom-6 a boost in energy AND skill.

Okay, the trades....

To Florida: Luongo, Raymond, Schroeder + 2013 2nd

To Vancouver: Matthias, Bjugstad & Upshall

Florida wants to unload some unwanted salary on us, and wouldn't mind Upshall because he can be used anywhere in the lineup for either an energy or scoring guy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

To Toronto: Sauvé + 2014 2nd

To Vancouver: Franson (RFA)

Burke loves draft picks. He also hasn't re-signed Franson. Franson would really help our powerplay AND depth.

Signings....

Shane Doan: 4 years @ $23.5 million. $5.875 cap hit

Jason Arnott: 1 year @ $1.25 million.

Cody Franson: 2 years @ $3 million. $1.500 cap hit

Lineup WITHOUT Kesler

Sedin Sedin Doan

Booth Arnott Burrows

Higgins Matthias Hansen

Mahotra Lapierre Upshall

Weise, Ebbett, Volpatti

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Franson/Tanev

Alberts

Now WITH Kesler

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Doan

Higgins Arnott Hansen

Matthias Mahotra Lapierre

Upshall, Weise

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Franson/Tanev

Alberts

- Upshall will probably be injured at times, but that's okay because of Kesler coming off LTIR.

- Having this many forwards and defenders would help greatly for the long and into the playoffs as most of the guys will still have energy left for April.

- This logjam type lineup would also enable guys to have an off day a little more often and save some energy

SPECIAL TEAMS: Powerplay

PP1

Sedin Sedin Doan/Kesler

Edler Garrison

PP2

Booth Arnott Doan/Burrows

Ballard/Franson Bieksa

PP3

Higgins Matthias Upshall/Hansen

Hamhuis Ballard/Franson

5 on 3

PP1

Sedin Sedin Doan

Garrison Kesler

PP2

Burrows Arnott Booth

Edler Bieksa/Franson

Penalty Kill

PK1

Burrows Matthias/Kesler

Hamhuis Edler/Bieksa

PK2

Malhotra Hansen

Garrison Franson/Edler

PK3

Lapierre Upshall

Ballard Bieksa/Franson

3 on 5

PK1

Matthias/Kesler

Hamhuis Garrison

PK2

Malhotra

Edler Bieksa

I like it now that you Editted it. Especially the Toronto trade. Franson would be great in my opinion. Tanev and Alberts set as Depth fill ins when injuries occur.

Also I think you should have included a back-up goalie in a signing or in the Luongo trade. Unless you feel Lack is able to handle the back-up duties.

Only issue is that the signing of "Arnott & Doan" is not going to happen as much as I would like it. It's either Doan or Arnott not both as far as I know. According to a tweet.

Upshall is a solid 3rd liner when healthy. We wouldn`t have him as a 13th forward for a guy who make like 3mill or something. Kassian is going to bring size and toughness to our lineup as well, so I see no point in keeping him in the AHL unless he looks terrible.

Luongo + Hansen + 3rd + 4th for Upshall, Bjugstad, Matthias

Kesler Out

Sedin/Sedin/Doan (3 years, 18.3m = 6.1)

Booth/Matthias/Burrows

Higgins/Lapierre/Upshall

Raymond/Malhotra/Kassian

Pinizotto,Weise

Kesler In

Sedin/Sedin/Doan

Booth/Kesler/Burrows

Higgins/Matthias/Upshall

Lapierre/Malhotra/Kassian

Raymond,Pinizotto

I give up with trying to determine Lu's and Bjugstad's value in Florida trades... SO had enough of that debate :bored:

Sauve plus 2nd for Franson though is a rip for Vancouver IMO, it's his rights and you want to trade that much for him?

Just a quick note:

In my proposed roster in post #1, there is $2,658,375~ in cap space with Kesler out.

When Kesler comes back, the amount of time he spent on IR (reducing his cap hit), and sending down 1 of Ebbett, Volpatti & Tanev, will give us $ 658,375~ in cap space by December.

That would make Upshall (even at a $3.500 cap hit) our 13th forward, but he will probably be injured as well.

Yes, I'm a capologist.

Archived