The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are the top 3 Canucks currently on the team you wish we didn't sign?

vcr1970

I see a lot of posts about players the fans dislike after they are traded by the Canucks (e.g. Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Todd Bertuzzi) but surely these players didn't just "turn" bad after leaving Vancouver.

So who are the 3 players on the Canucks you wish weren't signed/traded for? That could be for a bad contract, a player that doesn't fit in, poor performance, etc.).

Mine are:

1)Raymond

I'm not sure why we re-signed this guy. We could've put the money in the piggy bank to resign someone like Shane Doan. Every $ counts.

2)Ballard - it hasn't worked out since day 1 and his contract is brutal!

3)Kassian - I would take Hodgson as a healthy scratch any day (for when we need him) vs. a Kassian in the minors!

If you're upset about the Kassian trade already, then I guess you have some good confidence in the size and toughness of this organization for potentially the next 10 years.

Raymond - Cap space used on him could come in handy. Now if we wanna clear some cap space we'll have to trade him.

Luongo - Only part of his contract I'm upset about is the length. If it was 3-5 years shorter I believe he would hold a little bit more value.

Ballard - Not necessarily upset about his play, but for the role he's been given on this team a 4.2m cap hit is kinda steep.

I see a lot of posts about players the fans dislike after they are traded by the Canucks (e.g. Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, Todd Bertuzzi) but surely these players didn't just "turn" bad after leaving Vancouver.

So who are the 3 players on the Canucks you wish weren't signed/traded for? That could be for a bad contract, a player that doesn't fit in, poor performance, etc.).

Mine are:

1)Raymond

I'm not sure why we re-signed this guy. We could've put the money in the piggy bank to resign someone like Shane Doan. Every $ counts.

3)Kassian - I would take Hodgson as a healthy scratch any day (for when we need him) vs. a Kassian in the minors!

Mine are:

1)Raymond

If you're upset about the Kassian trade already, then I guess you have some good confidence in the size and toughness of this organization for potentially the next 10 years.

Raymond - Cap space used on him could come in handy. Now if we wanna clear some cap space we'll have to trade him.

Luongo - Only part of his contract I'm upset about is the length. If it was 3-5 years shorter I believe he would hold a little bit more value.

Ballard - Not necessarily upset about his play, but for the role he's been given on this team a 4.2m cap hit is kinda steep.

I don't really care for our trade for Ballard, but that's not a big deal. I also would have prefered Samuelsson over Booth at this point.(though I liked the trade overall) and I would have prefered if we got more for Hodgson.

The biggest signing I don't like is Schneider. I thought MG should have traded him instead.

I also agree that we should have traded Schneider. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that he is a Vancouver raised prospect and all, but I think that it would be safer to go with Luongo (who is more proven, experienced and I'd argue has the same (if not better) amount of talent)....

Schneider would most likely give us more in return (mainly b/c of age and Luongo's long contract which I honestly think is reasonable after looking at the contracts given out the past two years)

Raymond - I was happy we signed him in 2010, and even now I'm not unhappy that he was resigned, I just hope we trade him

Ebbet - I'm not mad about it, or even unhappy I just think that we could have picked up someone better rather than re-signing him.

Gragnani (though he isn't with us anymore) - I was happy about getting him but I just wished we had qualified him rather than letting him go, I still thought he had more to give and could prove himself to be a regular in the NHL.

1) Weise. Why the hell are we wasting a roster spot with this guy? I'd much rather see Volpatti or Pinizzotto play on the team, both of which are more serviceable and tougher.

2) Malhotra. I didn't care for the signing when it was first made - 3 years @ 2.5 mil per - but it seemed he was a good fit with the team. Now, since his eye injury, he's not been good at all, and really brought down the play of whichever line he played on last year IMO thanks to that eye injury, and was only kept on the roster for his faceoff ability and his leadership in the locker room. Prevented a player with energy like Duco from being able to play for this team (who I'm still disappointed we didn't sign - what a dumb move)

3) Ballard/Booth - I really didn't mind either trade when they happened, and for that matter I still don't mind the Booth deal (Samuelsson was a defensive liability and Sturm wasn't doing anything) but based on their performances in their time here, I'm not happy to have either with their contracts. I hope this year turns out to be much better for them though.

HM:

Raymond - Obvious reasons on this one, but he still could be pretty decent, especially at 2.5 or whatever he's getting paid. I just hope AV doesn't play him as his love child again this year when he isn't performing again.

-Schneider, I am fully supportive of him as the new starting goalie and have high hopes and praise for him, but I do believe the return we would have acquired would have been well worth keeping our other elite goaltender.

Weise, I know arbitration was avoided and he actually played pretty good for us last year. (read drance's numbers, on phone can't link) but I would have liked some farm team layers to have a chance on the 4th from time to time.

Alberts, I like the guy and he is useful when needed but I personally would have given Rome what dallas offered him instead of keeing alberts.

Archived