The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Ballard for Talbot

Pretty sure this has been rumoured already.

If we're after a defensive center, then Talbot fits the bill. At an affordable salary. Then Philly makes room for Couturier and Schenn. The Ballard dump allowed the Canucks to sign a key UFA.

Meanwhile, Ballard fills in the hole created by Meszaros' injury. His and Ballard's salaries are roughly the same.

This deal goes down depending on how desperate Philly is for a top-4 capable defenseman. imo Ballard will work in Philly's system far more effectively than he does in ours. ie. All attack, run 'n gun with little regard to positioning and discipline in his own zone.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking about this deal too. I could see both teams agreeing to it

Burrows - Talbot - Higgins

Solid third line. (assuming we get Doan, and Kassian has a good camp which bumps Burrows down to the third line)

The only problem i can see is that Philly might not like the idea of giving all their 'tough minutes' to Couturier at this point. And they just signed Talbot last summer. His deal is pretty good.

If they view Couturier as the next Jordan Staal though, then they could pull this trade off.

And are they in full panic mode now because of Meszaros' injury? We'll see.

I personally like it. Only conflicting issue would be salary. Talbot makes a very modest 1.75 while Ballard is making his 4.2.

Cap isn't a problem for Philly, they're wizards with that, but when/if Meszaros or Pronger returns, you got to think they won't appreciate having 4.2 tied up in a 6th d-man.

Better proposal than most. Good job.

The only problem i can see is that Philly might not like the idea of giving all their 'tough minutes' to Couturier at this point. And they just signed Talbot last summer. His deal is pretty good.

If they view Couturier as the next Jordan Staal though, then they could pull this trade off.

And are they in full panic mode now because of Meszaros' injury? We'll see.

Uhm yes please. He is that kind of never quit bottom 6 forward teams NEED to win a cup. Hes popular on every team he plays for, and I would take this deal. However this would leave our defense quite weak. Tanev-Alberts is not a pairing I would trust with any amount of minutes. We would have to add a reliable defensively responsible bottom pairing defenseman.

On the one hand, I like it. Not too worried about the defensive depth issue, as these guys are all available, and would provide at least as much as Ballard has given us since he got here:

Scott Hannan

Michal Rozsival

Pavel Kubina

Carlo Colaiacovo

Matt Gilroy

Chris Campoli

Jaro Spacek

Colin White

On the other hand, why would Philly trade a guy they targeted a year ago for a guy with a big contract when they could sign one of these guys instead?

Only way it makes sense is if the Flyers think that Ballard could regain his pre-Canucks form with a change of scenery. Possible...I guess...

Great minds think alike. I was thinking about this deal too. I could see both teams agreeing to it

Burrows - Talbot - Higgins

Solid third line. (assuming we get Doan, and Kassian has a good camp which bumps Burrows down to the third line)

Don't think Philly would want to take on the extra salary at this point unless Meszaros is dealt once he recovers. And from their standpoint, Meszaros is a better player than Ballard, so it might not be the best move on their part.

It really all comes down to how badly Philly wants another D, and if they have no interest in the players still in the FA market.

The only problem i can see is that Philly might not like the idea of giving all their 'tough minutes' to Couturier at this point. And they just signed Talbot last summer. His deal is pretty good. If they view Couturier as the next Jordan Staal though, then they could pull this trade off. And are they in full panic mode now because of Meszaros' injury? We'll see.

good reasonable offer vancouver get,s a hard working effective player who really pumps up the team with his energy ie. sparing with fluery before the game.and we shed over 2m salary.

philly get,s a top 4 defender last season they had Carle gone via free agency Meszoras gone injury likely for entire season could return in play-offs Pronger injury career uncertain may never play again sad to say really liked him as a player.

so ballard could slide in the top 4 and play a more important role and revive his confidence and could become a reliable defender with the ability to be an offensive weapon.also philly has the cap space.

good proposal works well for both sides.

Talbot scored more goals these playoffs than any Flyer not named Giroux or Briere, led the team in +/- and takeaways (6-to-1 takeaway-to-giveaway ratio!), and led all forwards in blocked shots. And he's signed for 4 more years with only a 1.75 million cap hit.

It's going to take a helluva lot more than Keith Ballard to pry Max out of Philly.

Archived