The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Marijuana should be Legalized

Tystick

Where's Tommy Chong when you need him? ;)

Seriously though, as one poster already pointed out, there's not been a single death, other than an allergic reaction attributed to the use of marijuana...but the reason it will NEVER be completely legal, is too many people would lose too much money (from kickbacks and other sordid ways) and they simply will never allow that to happen.

Guest BuckFoston

no thanks, marijuana smells awful and despite what people say it does have negative effects on health especially at a young age & i really dont want to smell that everytime i go outside. Cigarettes should be illegal only substance that is legal that is known to kill you and everyone else around you. such a joke its legal.

call me an old fuddy duddy but ill be the old man with all my brain cells and functioning lungs thank you very much.

It should certainly be legalized for two reasons:

1) To control distribution and prevent underage usage.

2) To generate revenue from taxation.

3) To eliminate illegal trafficking rings (most consumers would shy away from illegal activity if it's easier to obtain by legal means).

I wouldn't say never, there's more of a chance of it happening in Canada. We are allowed to smoke, regulate and sell the plant on April 20th in downtown Vancouver, buy seeds and glass from hemp shops, yet it is strictly illegal to grow it? How stupid does that sound.

One of the main reasons it will be pushed to remain illegal is billions of dollars would be lost in pharmaceutical companies. Why legalize this plant that can treat over 250 medical conditions when we're making more money this way.

Edit: Awesome sig btw, is that Alexi? B)

no thanks, marijuana smells awful and despite what people say it does have negative effects on health especially at a young age & i really dont want to smell that everytime i go outside. Cigarettes should be illegal only substance that is legal that is known to kill you and everyone else around you. such a joke its legal.

call me an old fuddy duddy but ill be the old man with all my brain cells and functioning lungs thank you very much.

Burning brain cells? Really? Look at any scientific study and the worst thing that happens is reversible change in the hippocampus to inhibit the conversion of short term to long term memories. Stop, and it goes back to normal. Why it's not legalized.... prisons make too much money and lobbyists (is that how you say it?)are throwing at the money at the government (In the US, anyway) to keep it illegal.

It should certainly be legalized for two reasons:

1) To control distribution and prevent underage usage.

2) To generate revenue from taxation.

3) To eliminate illegal trafficking rings (most consumers would shy away from illegal activity if it's easier to obtain by legal means).

That said, I support the legalization of marijuana because it is, in fact, a slap in the face to a particular portion of uneducated smokers.

CollegeHumor makes all these same points in a pretty humorous way:

Amen, I absolutely hate the smell of it if nothing else. And while there are high people that can function alright, just as there are "happy" drunks, for the most part both turn into complete idiots you just can't stand to be around. Although maybe I just live a very fulfilling life where I get high and drunk from it in a figurative sense and see absolutely no need to waste my time being impaired by any kind of drug.

All that junk is like a rocking chair, it keeps you busy and gets you nowhere.

Amen, I absolutely hate the smell of it if nothing else. And while there are high people that can function alright, just as there are "happy" drunks, for the most part both turn into complete idiots you just can't stand to be around. Although maybe I just live a very fulfilling life where I get high and drunk from it in a figurative sense and see absolutely no need to waste my time being impaired by any kind of drug.

All that junk is like a rocking chair, it keeps you busy and gets you nowhere.

Agree. I would also like to see the same rules as cigarettes (public smoking) and alcohol (public nuisance, driving and selling to minors). A test for sobriety (while driving) would have to be developed for pot.

Please allow for labelling on the package, including danger to lungs, brain chemistry and marijuana induced psychosis. Talk to anyone working in mental health...the latter is a big problem.

Archived