The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joel Ward in contact with FBI after racist tweets

mrsasaki

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/08/fbi-probed-racist-tweets-against-joel-ward

It was sickening enough that Washington Capitals winger Joel Ward was the target of racist tweets after scoring the winning goal in Game 7 of the opening playoff round against the Boston Bruins.

But then the FBI got involved.

Ward, a Toronto native whose parents were born in Barbados, was able to shake off the threats and the crude remarks, saying they didn't affect him. The FBI was concerned, however.

"I had one phone call from an FBI agent who was scared for me," Ward told 102.1 radio in Toronto. "He was just asking some questions like, 'How's your family doing, how's everybody doing, are you OK? Did you get any weird messages?' So now I'm like, really freaked out."

All has been calm since then for the 31-year-old.

"I have to go follow up when I get back to D.C., just to kind make sure, clear things over," Ward said. "But I told him I was fine, my family's still living in the same place and all that."

Ward also revealed, in intimate detail, that he has had off-season surgery for a sports hernia.

The 'intimate details' of his sports hernia recovery were pretty hilarious though. This was the quote according to Harrison Mooney's article over at Puck Daddy:

"I was being a single male laying in bed like that, I figured I'd try to relieve myself a little bit. Well, sure enough I got a nerve that kinda connect from my seeds us to my scarring that slowly prevents me from relieving myself."

"... It was like a dog-choker, just like a zap -- zoop."

"... So of course I panicked and called the doc. He's like, 'You just had surgery, come on.'"

Look how far our society has come. :picard:

It's pathetic. The whole group-mentality is exemplified in the worst way with sports fans. The whole us vs. them idea makes people really act like morons.

I laughed quite a bit for the Euro Cup commercials, saying how football brings the world together. If anything, organized sports separate people even more.

Every fan base has its idiots and classless individuals, but getting racist because the guy scored a goal is just about as low as you can get. It's too bad it's always the lowest denominator of fans that give a fan base its reputation.

The 'intimate details' of his sports hernia recovery were pretty hilarious though. This was the quote according to Harrison Mooney's article over at Puck Daddy:

"I was being a single male laying in bed like that, I figured I'd try to relieve myself a little bit. Well, sure enough I got a nerve that kinda connect from my seeds us to my scarring that slowly prevents me from relieving myself."

"... So of course I panicked and called the doc. He's like, 'You just had surgery, come on.'"

Archived