The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Routes for North Vancouver Class 7 'N' Road Test

cleowin

Hello, I am taking my 2nd attempt at my 'N' Road test on Monday and I am wondering if there are any general tips for north van's route.

I know North Van has like a playground/park zone every 3-4 blocks, but I'm wondering if there are any serious hidden ones that I should be aware of ?

Does North Van take you to the West-side of Lonsdale? (Chesterfield), and what are common fail spots?

School zones in effect for August 13th?

If you know any of the testing routes, let me know.

I failed the first time on the Moody playground zone (by ridgeway Elementary).

Honestly, there's no shame in failing a driver's test.

That being said, if your area has a lot of playground zones, that's great! That's a fast way (ironically) to burn up your time by going slow.

The test is all about observation. If you can read signs, you can pass this test.

I'll take the tips.

I received three 'Direction of travel' Demerits on my Road Test, not sure what that implies either.

And do you just focus on the incoming traffic when in the middle of an intersection, waiting for a safe gap to turn?

School zones are not in effect in the summer, go 50 (main street) and 40 (side street).

Being a Surrey resident, I obviously didn't take my test in North Van so I could give you general tips if needed (things that "make" you pass).

It's best to glance around but keep your focus on the incoming traffic. Make sure you shoulder check before you turn...

* I think that means that you weren't looking where you were turning ?

* Got this off another user...

• Make sure you know the basics. You know how to drive, but it's the little things.

• Complete stop at the stop sign. That means the car doesn't move for at least a second.

• Signal ahead of time.

• Two hands on the wheel (9 and 3 o'clock or 10 and 2 o'clock)

• 360 degree check before you back up.

• Check your rear view mirror every few seconds.

• Make sure you know how to do hazard perception and how to handle a cul-de-sac properly.

• Whipping your head doesn't cut it. Actually physically turn your shoulders.

• Don't slam the gas when you accelerate.

• Don't slam the break.

• Look ahead 12 seconds, don't look at the ground directly in front of the car or stare at the bumper of the car in front of you. Look ahead to the next intersection/traffic light is suffice I would say.

• Make sure you know when school zones and park zones start and end.

• Don't let your car roll back.

• Make sure you check your mirror and shoulder check before opening the door.

• Be friends with your examiner.

• A car is not parked until you have shifted to P and applied the engine brake.

• Stop before the stop line.

• Don't take your hands off the wheel at a red light. Hands on wheel at all time.

• Don't worry about the reverse stall parking, they give you all the reasonable time to do it.

• Check left and right at an intersection before proceeding, especially after a red light.

• Don't drive in someone's blind spot.

I'm just worried about missing playground zone signs.. and what not. What is a safe gap? If I see a car coming and I want to turn right, and it's say one block down (North van blocks are relatively short), should I stop and wait for him to pass or go for it?

Just remember to shoulder check at every turn, when changing lanes, and pulling on and off a road. Make sure you scan every intersection before entering and side streets and crosswalks! When changing lines remember SIGNAL first, than rear view mirror, than shoulder check it isn't the right way but it is the way ICBC wants it done. I just helped my little cousin practice for his road test and in all honesty the only time you're REALLY going to drive like that is during the test, everyone knows no one really drives like that after. Also practice parallel parking and reverse parking those are a must! Although they cannot fail you for a bad parallel parking but if you totally blow then I am sure they can depending on the instructor.

My parking is excellent. I can parrallel park with <6" from the curb on first attempt and with a good distance from the car in front/behind.

I can 90% of the time reverse in perfectly centered without having to re-adjust.

I can keep to the limits by holding 50 on streets. I can hold 30, but I missed the sign last time.

My instructor told me that I had to shoulder check for pedestrians before creeping out on a right turn, which failed me as well.

I'm just worried about missing playground zone signs.. and what not. What is a safe gap? If I see a car coming and I want to turn right, and it's say one block down (North van blocks are relatively short), should I stop and wait for him to pass or go for it?

SO i failed my road test again.. i pulled onto the sidewalk parralel parking (examiner was going to ignore it) but then I 'gassed' it accidentally on a 2 way stop without scanning.. thus two dangerous actions in test...

Ugh,, 2 weeks before my 3rd attempt. They say 3 times a charm for a reason right?

I was at a 2 way and there was a bush on the right to me. i couldn't see to my right (was turning left), so I let go of the brake to inch forward but since I was on a little hill, my car was not moving, so I pressed the accelerator a little too hard and ended up jeering a few feet forward, which according to my examiner was a Dangerous Action.

It's weird, I've never done such a bad job with parallel parking until today, I jeered left, rather than steer reverse into the curb and ended up with my back wheels and a random senior just appeared out of no where, another dangerous action.

No school zones in the summer, but there's a playground zone that I went through very early on. Like, within a few blocks.

Don't do half-assed shoulder checks. Remember to keep in that right lane turning out of the ICBC lot. And take the parking nice and easy. Those are the tips I got.

If you think nerves might get you, take things a little slower than usual. They can't fail you for being hesitant if it helps you, and the test wants you to drive more cautious than normal.

Certain examiners are just douches and try to get under your skin, just focus on your driving. I've heard stories from my dad's friend who works there about the people who take pleasure in insulting 17 year olds...my guy was alright luckily. Just gave me a lot of crap (rightfully) about my reverse park at the end :lol:

Good luck :)

Edit: with number 3. Remember, slower than usual. Everybody gets jitters on the test, you gotta keep calm and focus on the process. I think taking the test standard was better because it felt natural and focused for me.

I had the same examiner and route as last time so the route was familiar with me. The guy is actually pretty lenient for the most part.. but he has a 'One mistake and I'll let slide, two mistakes, and you're done.' policy.

If only I remembered my Left and Rights when I paralleled parked...

Archived