The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Question About Luongo's Current Contract

hockeyfan90

If Luongo retires or gets really injured (like a Dipietro situation) before his contract ends... will his cap hit run through the remainder of the contract for whichever team he plays for then?

Just wanted to know how these stuff work seeing as how Islanders are still paying Dipietro's contract and TIm Thomas's cap hit next year still counts, even if he isn't playing...

If Luongo retires or gets really injured (like a Dipietro situation) before his contract ends... will his cap hit run through the remainder of the contract for whichever team he plays for then?

Just wanted to know how these stuff work seeing as how Islanders are still paying Dipietro's contract and TIm Thomas's cap hit next year still counts, even if he isn't playing...

If he retires, no. If he's just injured, then yes, but they could put him on LTI if needed.

The only contracts that stay regardless of retirement are contracts that start when a player is 35 or older. It doesn't matter what age they end, but what age they start at.

then I don't see why every one says his contract is bad....its not like he's going to be playing until the end of the contract. So if it doesn't count towards the cap after he retires, then I don't know why people are saying his contract is so bad, etc..

then I don't see why every one says his contract is bad....its not like he's going to be playing until the end of the contract. So if it doesn't count towards the cap after he retires, then I don't know why people are saying his contract is so bad, etc..

No one should be complaining about Luongo's contract. MG has sculpted it perfectly, a rediculously low cap hit for one of the best goalies in the NHL, probably the best value goaltender in the league under a proper contract (that isn't including Quick before his extension etc, only including goalies who have earned their new contract after playing in their prime).

People forget guys like Rinne, Miller and Lundqvist have much tougher cap hits of 6 and 7 million which, when compared to a 5.3 million cap hit, is unreasonable.

The best thing about the long contract is that when the cap hit finally does catch up to Luongo in about 5 seasons time when his play starts to deteriorate (of which it hasn't yet, contrary to many's beliefs) he can easily be burried in the minors and his 5.3 million cap hit won't count to the team. By this time Schneider will truly be in his prime and the team will have smoothly transitioned between goaltenders. If we trade Luongo now we have no backup plan in case Schneider can't deal with a full workload, but if we keep Luongo until his play starts to decline then we have a good tandem and a safety net.

But do we really want over $9 million tied up between our two goaltenders? Not to mention, people seem to forget that even though they don't want Luongo traded, doesn't mean he wants to stay here. I think that we owe it to him, and that he deserves a trade. He needs to start over somewhere. He is not a back-up goaltender, but it has been shown that he is not our preferred starter anymore. He needs to be somewhere where he can be the number one and not have a whole bunch of crap looming over his head all season. He needs to be somewhere where every little mistake he makes is not scrutinized and losses aren't put entirely on him. Instead of thinking about whether we want him traded, think about the fact that he WANTS to be traded. Vancouver owes it to him.

By the way, I am not a big Luongo fan, never have been. I have a lot of respect for the guy and think he is a great player, but he has been given his chances to help bring us a cup and has not delivered. It's time for him to move on, for both Luongo and Vancouver.

Archived