The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

thinking of moving to Vancouver Island

CanuckGAME

Hey guys first off sorry for spelling errors, I'm posting on my phone and still trying to get used to the touch screen POS it is....

Ok so I currently live in kamloops and I hate it, its got to be the most boring city in bc. I'm looking for a change and I spent a summer when I was a kid on the island, I'm thinking of buying a house in sooke or another outskirt of Victoria (can anyone name any other places close to victoria?)

What are some pros and cons to living on the island? I love fishing the ocean so buying a boat will be top of my list!

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as much detail and long ads posts welcome, I want to learn all I can before I uproot my life

Thanks guys

I live in Nanaimo, and I honestly think in the summer months theres no better place to be than the island. When its hot and sunny and you have mountains, lakes, rivers, and the ocean right at your fingertips how can you complain? Plus you don't have the issues with humidity and insects that you get in other areas. If you like the outdoors, then theres easily as much if not more of that on the island than anywhere on the mainland. Plus Vancouver is a 50 dollar 20 minute plane ride away if you get a craving for the big city.

As for the other 9 months of the year? it's pretty gray, wet, and depressing, as per everywhere on the west coast. But if you're into fishing then you could definitely do that year round as long as you dont mind the crappy weather. My grandfather moved to the island after retirement for that exact reason.

Good luck with your decision.

Langford is booming. It used to be the butt-end of jokes but now it's the place to be because of all the development (shopping, housing etc). It's also cheaper than Victoria itself but the prices are rising. As for Nanaimo, don't move there. It's too spread out and there isn't a whole lot to do unless you fish, but there is plenty of that in Greater Victoria as well.

I LOVE the island myself (though I am a mainlander) but if you're looking for "excitement" it's not your place. Lot's of outdoors stuff and laid back?.. Yes. Exciting metropolis?... No.

Not that it's completely dull, there's lots of arts/music stuff but Vegas/NYC it is not, if that's more your inclination.

The Oak Bay area is probably my favourite, but it's pricey. What's your price range? Renting or buying?

so you're not looking to live IN victoria, is that correct?

i've been on the island my entire life, and been in victoria for most of it.

i used to love it, now it's a love / hate relationship. i hate the fact that downtown is essentially skid row for 7 months of the year, i hate how expensive it is... but.... i love, love, love the fact that i'm 15 minutes (walking) from downtown, 1 minute from the city's best park, 3 minutes from the beach, and down the street i've got great eating that spans 4 continents

it seems weird to me for someone to move here to escape boredom, as not a whole lot happens here. but i've never been to kamloops, and know nothing of it. but if you're into fishing, the outdoors, and all that, i'm not sure the island can be beat. i'm pretty sure victoria is regularly regarded as canada's most fit city for a reason: there's a lot to do outside.

i couldn't imagine living in nanaimo or sooke, but that's just because i've been inside "the city" for most of my life.

some areas are really dodgy though, so i'd recommend coming here for another visit and seeing which tickles your fancy

Langford is booming. It used to be the butt-end of jokes but now it's the place to be because of all the development (shopping, housing etc). It's also cheaper than Victoria itself but the prices are rising. As for Nanaimo, don't move there. It's too spread out and there isn't a whole lot to do unless you fish, but there is plenty of that in Greater Victoria as well.

so you're not looking to live IN victoria, is that correct?

i've been on the island my entire life, and been in victoria for most of it.

i used to love it, now it's a love / hate relationship. i hate the fact that downtown is essentially skid row for 7 months of the year, i hate how expensive it is... but.... i love, love, love the fact that i'm 15 minutes (walking) from downtown, 1 minute from the city's best park, 3 minutes from the beach, and down the street i've got great eating that spans 4 continents

it seems weird to me for someone to move here to escape boredom, as not a whole lot happens here. but i've never been to kamloops, and know nothing of it. but if you're into fishing, the outdoors, and all that, i'm not sure the island can be beat. i'm pretty sure victoria is regularly regarded as canada's most fit city for a reason: there's a lot to do outside.

i couldn't imagine living in nanaimo or sooke, but that's just because i've been inside "the city" for most of my life.

some areas are really dodgy though, so i'd recommend coming here for another visit and seeing which tickles your fancy

I'd recommend either Langford (Near Victoria) or Nanaimo. Downtown Victoria can be really hectic with tons of traffic and no parking, Langford and Nanaimo are both growing and are great places to live.

If you're moving because of schooling as well, I'd recommend moving closer to Victoria.

And don't listen to these people...there's tons to do in Nanaimo + we have the biggest mall on the Island. There's just as much to do as Langford, maybe even more, it's just less condensed. It's also a shorter ferry ride to Vancouver than it is from Victoria.

would you rather spend 35 cents more for a tube of toothpaste, or 500 more on a mortgage payment?

vancouver has an absurd cost of living, which is higher than victoria's, despite little silly things costing more.

most people i know make 'big' purchases (i.e. cars, furniture) on the mainland anyway.

Archived