The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Now is the time to deal Ballard. [Proposal] (VAN-PHI)

With Chris Pronger's career (almost certainly) over, Andrej Meszaros out indefintley, and Andreas Lilja out for 4-5 months, now is the time to deal Ballard to Philadelpia. They do have 3 solid D-men in Timmonen, Coburn and Schenn, but lack a 4th D-man. Ballard would be a perfect fit, as he would probably come fairly cheap in a trade.

In Philly he would have bigger minutes and a bigger opportunity for better numbers, something he will never get in Vancouver.

I realize that he was arguably our best defenseman in the playoffs, but no matter how you slice it, on the bottom pair he is not worth 4.2 mil.

I'd like to try and pry Read away from Philly in any deal, as he would be an ideal 3rd line solution, although that would probably mean giving up prospects or picks.

Something like:

Ballard

2nd

3rd

for

Read

4th

What do you think?

Read's like 26 now, late bloomer and all that but he's hit his ceiling. I'd rather we snag one of their young guns like Couturier, Voracek or B. Schenn. I doubt we could get any but it's worth a shot.

I do think there is a deal there for Ballard.

I think some people may be underestimating 3 things.

1. Philly's desperation

In this offseason ALONE, they lost half of their top 6 d-men (Lilja, Meszaros,Carle)

With Bryzgalov in net, no Bobrovsky to back him up, and only 3 okay d-men, their is a good chance they could be a 7-9th seed team.

2. The value of picks

I honestly don't know too much about junior, but around these boards all i've seen is that this years draft is going to be the deepest since 2003, where Corey Perry was almost picked in the second round and Shea Weber was.

3. Keith Ballard's Upside

He has potential to be a 30-40 point, 5-10 goal defenseman,

Is one of the best skating D-men in the league

arguably the best hip checker,

and can drop the gloves now and then.

Does anyone believe Kevin Connauton is ready? He's a PP quarterback left side D man, capable of carrying the puck similar to Ballard. But he also has a big shot.

If he's ready, maybe Ballard is expendable; really he's just depth atm. I like the Talbot concept.

Does anyone believe Kevin Connauton is ready? He's a PP quarterback left side D man, capable of carrying the puck similar to Ballard. But he also has a big shot.

If he's ready, maybe Ballard is expendable; really he's just depth atm. I like the Talbot concept.

That "shot" would be rejected quicker than Muggsy Bogues trying an easy lay-in against Deke Mutombo.

Philly's vulnerability might make them interested in Keith Ballard, but they're not going to pay a premium for him. There are plenty of overpaid D's around the league that Philly can poach from teams that would love to unload them. The scary thing about Keith Ballard isn't even necessarily his contract, it's the fact that he's losing ice-time to guys like Aaron Rome and Chris Tanev. That's the concern.

Archived