The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Third Line Center

Googs

This is my first new topic post. Hi guys and gals. My question is would do you think we can fill the third line position with Gaunce or Friesen. From what I have seen these guys might be ready now. I notice Friesen is tough and plays well both ways including a great pk. Gaunce (18 years old) seems to be nhl ready now with size and is excellent defensively. Skates really well. Or is there someone else. I mean Skinner with the hurricanes can make it why can't we have someone in that mold.

Id love to have Gaunce as the centre...but I think its best for him to develope some more before jumping into the NHL. If we dont get a centre thru free agency or trade...I wouldnt mind having him and Schroeder fight over the spot and keep Lapierre on the 4th line. Manny just doesnt have the skill or footspeed anymore

If Gaunce plays well enough to earn it then sure, I'm getting tired of people saying our prospects need time to develop, if they're good enough to make the team then they will develop in the NHL just fine. I think Gaunce is still atleast a year away though. I could see Schroeder taking it.

Tell me. They play defence well. Both of them. And they both can fight and score and bang. And Friesen is 21 years old and plays exactly the way we want our third line to play. Why are they not ready? What more do they need?

If Gaunce plays well enough to earn it then sure, I'm getting tired of people saying our prospects need time to develop, if they're good enough to make the team then they will develop in the NHL just fine. I think Gaunce is still atleast a year away though. I could see Schroeder taking it.

Friesen, from what I have seen has a pretty complete game he has great defensive awareness and is an excellent play maker. I would agree that Guance should be given more time. Schroeder makes the most sense, but I think Ebbet is a real darkhourse a lot of people are counting out. Friesen seems like he's got a bit of a mean streak witch I hope will maybe give him an edge over Ebbet and Schroeder.

Agree to a point but the Nucks M.O is quite straight forward. AV expects strong two way play. Typically players coming out junior either aren't ready physically or they aren't ready defensively/mentally. As a result, they won't get much ice from AV (see Kassian, CoHo).

If any prospect is going to make a run at getting into the Canuck lineup it would be Schroeder for 2nd/3rd line, while Kes is out. I would really like to see Lappy as a regular 3rd line center, assuming Schroeder doesn't stay full time. Lappy would be a great fit between Higgins and Hansen because he can play physical and fights for the puck a lot which results in good scoring chances. Next year I hope to see Jensen and Gaunce/Mallet in the Canuck line up for a couple of games.

I think we can take a page from the oilers and learn to put the young talent in the lineup so they do build experience... that is the way you learn by hands on on the real deal.....spend too much time in the minors and you think they develop but the truth is they don't adapt. They may be developed but you can not compare the minors to the majors.... Oilers are smart that way... they have a very good group of players that will surprise alot of people.... put the young guns in and lets see how they do.. making mistakes is the best way to learn..... go canucks go

Archived