The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**If the Canucks win the cup on a shortened lockout seaon...**

carlweezer

A cup win is a cup win.

As for the lottery draft. Just look back at last lockout/strike. I think every team had equal chance to get #1 draft. That was the the year PIT won the draft and got Sidney Crosby. Nucks got the 10th spot (drafted Luc Bourdon RIP). So I would something similar to happen if the lockout was for the entire year.

I think teams would get a small window to re-sign their UFAs if an extended lockout happened. Then it be a free-for-all.

The best Hockey does not start till mid season and into the play-offs. Once the play-offs start everyone is in the same boat. We may even see faster games, because players will be less tired.

With that said I want hockey to start on time.

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up them climbing to the top...

will it be as sweet???

I know that after the Miami Heat won the NBA finals all the detractors were out in full force saying it will be a championship with an asterisk beside it..

How will you guys feel if we win the cup this year but its a shortened season say around 60 reg season games?

I personally would rather win it from start to finish on a full season, winning it on a shortened season might take some of the glory from me...

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up then climbing to the top...

But who knows, 10 yrs from now will we remember that it was a lockout season?

While on topic with lockout i have a few questions for you:

1. If its a full season lockout how does the draft lottery work?? does everyone have the same amount of ping pong balls in the draw?? This would be AMAZING just to have a chance at Mackinnon, Seth Jones, Barkov or Shinkaruk!without having to suck all year and be miserable like the Oilers blue print. I cant remember how it worked out the year the Pens won the lockout lottery for Crosby. (ps thats pretty obvious that was rigged since Pitt was about to go Bankrupt, Bettman you idiot, I guess he saved a franchise tho)

2. What if a CBA isnt resolved until next summer, does Edler, Burrows etc become automatic free agents without having the alotted time period for us to sign them and no other contact with a different team until July 1? that would be a disaster but imagine all the UFAs that will hit the market at the same time....Getzlaf, Perry, Iginla, Clowe, Roy, Hartnell, Edler,Semin, Ribiero,Zajac,Fillpula etc etc

Looking purely at trends, we've been doing quite well in the regular season: we've made the playoffs in 5 of the past 7 seasons, and won the last 2 President's Trophies. I know doing well in one year doesn't necessarily = doing just as well the following year, but there's at least some indication that we're an elite team in the regular season. Thus, having a shortened season should not really hamper the perception that we would have when we win the Cup (to me, the feeling of winning the Cup, even with a shortened reg. season, would not change).

However, it's not how beast we are in the regular season, but how we do in the playoffs that defines us.

the Stanley Cup champ wont play as many games as most stanley cup champs....the grind and battle isnt as long......its like someone who climbed mount everest from the bottom or someone who got choppered up almost half way up them climbing to the top...

60 games is about right for a season anyways. The longer the season the more toll is taken on players' bodies, although it does help them (and the League) make more money. In any case, seasons in the past have been shorter, do those cups have asterisks beside them? The answer is no.

Guest Gumballthechewy

The only reason it wouldn't be the same is if the playoffs themselves were shortened. Regular season games are just there to pass the time until the playoffs start anyway.

I wouldn't really care, as long as the playoffs are the same length. I think its bull to say there will be an asterisk next to the Stanley Cup championship, all teams play the same amount of games so it's not like the winner will gain a big advantage from a shortened season.

Archived