The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Invisible Bike Helmet

elvis15

Saw this today and thought it was a pretty interesting idea. It's essentially an airbag for your head in place of a helmet. This is the definition of thinking outside the box.

“If people say it’s impossible we have to prove them wrong.”

Design students Anna and Terese took on a giant challenge as an exam project. Something no one had done before. If they could swing it, it would for sure be revolutionary. The bicycle is a tool to change the world. If we use bikes AND travel safe: Life will be better for all.

-Cops will still stop you for not wearing a helmet for the time being. And how do you prove it's head protection? Deploy it? Won't protect you from embarrassment in that case.

-Looks very uncomfortable for those without E.T.esque necks.

-Cyclists are already accustomed to wearing helmets and cycling wear, not suits and pleated dresses.

-Cost?

In my opinion this actually protects the back of the head much better than a regular bike helmet. That area of upper neck is essential to movement.

I like the idea, and I think it could work, although a single malfunction in deployment and these people are out of business for good.

I just got introduced to Vimeo, this site is amazing!

The biggest problem I see, is that depending on how sensitive it is, I'd need two or three of them darn near every time I went trail riding on my mountain bike.

I usually have a couple bails that can't be avoided. Nothing crazy and generally at lower speeds but if that things going off every time...

I am not a lawyer but my argument in regards to not wearing a helmet runs like this:

If a Sikh or Muslim does not have to wear a helmet due to their religious beliefs than I don't have too either, as making me wear one would be discrimination based on religion. But I am not a lawyer.

Only real use for this over a regular helmet is people not wanting to arrive anywhere with helmet hair. For riding to work or social events it would be great. For trail riding or exercise riding not so much. Last thing I want when trail riding is a big scarf around my neck and it would go off within half an hour out there. But if you have an office job and want to ride there without ending up looking like hell it would be decent. Depends on how much itll cost too. Looks expensive.

If done right this could be more protective than a regular helmet because it doesn't have to suffer from the tradeoffs that come with being sleek and compact like regular helmets. Still, I wouldn't want to be an early adopting beta tester.

Archived