The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/ Value of] Mason Raymond to Phoenix

(please don't tl;dr or discount this right away, I know that people undervalue May Ray but hear my rationale before commenting (and don't just write one-word comments))

The Phoenix Coyotes were quite the underdog (pardon the pun) last postseason. However, the team, led by Shane Doan and Ray Whitney, won the Pacific Division title and even made it all the way to the Western Conference Finals.

Fast forward two months through the off-season, and things look much different, especially at the top: Ray has signed elsewhere, and Shane may or may not return, and the two of them produced 46 of the 216 goals or one-fifth of the goals (21%) scored last season.

While Steve Sullivan was signed to replace part of what Ray brought, the team will still be short offensively and will look to scoring by committee and strong defensive play in front of Mike Smith to compete night in and night out, since the team is owned by the NHL and will have to find value players.

The Coyotes' current group of forwards looks like this

(players in bold scored at higher pace than May Ray's (0.36 p.p.g.) last season)

Boedker - Hanzal - Vrbata

*Sullivan - Vermette - Korpikoski

Torres - Gordon - Moss

Klinkhammer - Chipchura - Bissonnette

Sullivan has a * next to his name since his stats, let's be honest here, were boosted by playing with Art Ross winner Evgeni Malkin.

With the dire shortage of higher-end scorers, complemented by the team's ownership issues and subsequent inability to spend like the big ticket markets in the league, a healthy, motivated, talented player fighting for their job could be exactly the piece that spurs the offense along for the time being. Enter Mason Raymond.

While fans here have gotten used to high-octane offense and being contenders year after year, the Coyotes organization will not have the flexibility to go out and get big-ticket guys. Instead, they will have to rely upon role players who fit within Tippett's tight defensive system with the versatility to break out when the chance arises to score on the other end of the ice.

With his record of being a scorer and tight checker, followed by his sub-par past couple of seasons and re-signing to a one-year contract basically as a signal to fight for his job, May Ray could be motivated to stay in Vancouver, but even if he does not pan out here, he could prove to be a strong, young complementary piece who could take up some of the scoring responsibility in Phoenix and really augment the depth that's already there.

Both sides could really benefit here. Mason, with strong play could earn a Top-6 role and new contract, and Phoenix can strengthen their offense with a young, MOTIVATED player with potential and past success as a Top-6 player.

Thoughts?

(Vancouver may do this so to clear up salary spots in case management feels another prospect or player is ready for the minutes; maybe Mason Raymond for a 2nd pick or D prospect, which Phoenix has plenty? EDIT: as someone mentioned in their post, Raymond for Torres would work for me if Phoenix accepts the deal too, Vancouver could get more physical for the playoffs)

Just gotta say love the sig bud....God Bless

As for the proposal...it makes a lot of sense...like you said Phoenix in the last while has made a name for themselves without having highend players in the team, but yet seem to be able to make a name for themselves....

Mason Raymond would also benefit from having players who have very equal qualities and have playermakers such as Antione Vermette and Steve Sullivan who as well have blinding speed. It would be a good fit.

Very well written and you clearly spent lots of time thinking this out. +1 to you...

However, I'm wondering how much Raymond would be worth, seeing that he could leave in a year and there might even be a lockout, so Phoenix will lose a 2nd round or a d-man prospect for a player who doesn't even pay for them....

In all seriousness though, very well thought out thread. The issue is that from a canucks POV, what return would you want for Raymond? I dont think the Canucks would toss him to PHX just to dump some salary cap, that would be outrageous. Under the circumstances, Raymond is a candidate for a bounce back year. On the contrary, PHX wont want to throw some prospects to us for a player that may not even be an NHL caliber player anymore; especially if they decide to rebuild after next season

The issue is that from a canucks POV, what return would you want for Raymond? I dont think the Canucks would toss him to PHX just to dump some salary cap, that would be outrageous. Under the circumstances, Raymond is a candidate for a bounce back year. On the contrary, PHX wont want to throw some prospects to us for a player that may not even be an NHL caliber player anymore; especially if they decide to rebuild after next season

Great thread btw. With the possible departure of Doan and Torres' 21-game suspension, PHX is definitely in need of some offense. While it's debatable that Raymond can bring that to the table, they'll still get a defensively responsible forward.

I'd value him at a 2nd round pick.

Raymond has little to no value right now. If he plays well enough, he will accrue some value. Though really, if the trade deadline rolls around and he has gained some value, is someone willing to pick him up when he can walk after the season's end? There would have to be a guaranteed extension in place as part of the deal to get anything worthwhile. You can also factor in that if he plays up to expectations, why even trade him at all?

I don't mind keeping Raymond, hes only overpaid by about 700 000. hes a good depth player to have, he can play many different roles PK , PP , 2nd - 4th line and hes are best shootout player. if he was getting paid hansen money i wouldn't mind keeping him. Kinda like how Pyatt and Bernier have turned out being. we didn't like them because of there salary know that they are getting paid less they are an asset to there teams because of the depth that they bring. If Gillis can resign raymond to 1.5 million dollar contract next year i wouldn't really mind

Archived