The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

For me, the real problem I have with faith and religion, is that it attempts, and succeeds at taking away people's critical faculties.

Anything, be it faith, religion, what-have-you, that causes people to stop thinking critically, to use logic, to question, and instead causes people to believe blindly in anything, is dangerous, and thus deserves to be criticized.

There is a very simple difference between science and religion. At the very heart of this debate is reason vs. faith. Reason attempts to explain the world by compiling data and information. I won't use the word "prove", because in truth, there is no real way to prove anything 100%. That being said, science and reason allows us to base our ideas on evidence, things that are real, that can be measured, observed.

The danger of faith, is that it teaches people not to think. Don't question, just believe. Don't ask, just have faith. This is how people are enslaved, controlled, oppressed. When they either don't have the right to think for themselves, or their capacity for thought has been taken away.

It is particularly egregious that children are subjected to such maiming of their mental faculties without their consent. It is reprehensible that children are indoctrinated with these ideas before they've had the chance to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. That alone is bad enough, without even having to get into the forced genital mutilation that constitutes part of many religions.

I also find it rather interesting that in this day and age, that people can still base their beliefs on literature from thousands of years ago. A read through the Old Testament is testament to the brutality, incest, misogyny, mysticism, and genocide that religion (in this Christianity) is based on. Other religious texts also have stories of such atrocities. I find it incredible that anyone could base their set of "morals" on a text that depicts such horrific acts as "righteous".

Further, religion debases and belittles us as humans. We are not capable of morality without fear of eternal damnation? Without unending punishment looming over one's head, one cannot be moral? We require to be told how to act by a sky father? Who the, is more "moral"? The man who does good for the sake of doing good, or the man who does good merely to escape eternal torment?

And as a hilarious side note, if heaven were such a nice place, why is it that religious people mourn when someone dies? Shouldn't you be happy when someone who has led a good life dies? Are they not "going to a better place" as is often claimed? Why would anyone not want to die then? If "paradise" is ensured to those who follow the tenets of religion and abide by its laws, why prolong life on earth? Why would any religious person seek medical treatment at all? Are you not just delaying your inevitable entry into heaven? Always found that interesting.

Archived