The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

The middle ground is separating...people are rushing to the poles of atheism and devout faith. However, it's also quite probable that another recent report could contradict the findings. Besides that, no one actually lives as if atheism were true.

I would argue that, in the West, religion, specifically Christianity, which lay the basis for our current culture, lacks a lot of the platforms that atheists have. There are few Christian intellectuals who are household names like Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, whereas as late as the mid 1900s you had many prominent Christian intellectuals such as C.S. Lewis, Reinhold Niebuhr and Thomas Merton who were very popular. Thus, a loss of public discourse. The Church has plausibility structures - but they could probably be more effective.

“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

The middle ground is separating...people are rushing to the poles of atheism and devout faith. However, it's also quite probable that another recent report could contradict the findings. Besides that, no one actually lives as if atheism were true.

I would argue that, in the West, religion, specifically Christianity, which lay the basis for our current culture, lacks a lot of the platforms that atheists have. There are few Christian intellectuals who are household names like Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, whereas as late as the mid 1900s you had many prominent Christian intellectuals such as C.S. Lewis, Reinhold Niebuhr and Thomas Merton who were very popular. Thus, a loss of public discourse. The Church has plausibility structures - but they could probably be more effective.

“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

I don't think it is possible, in my humble opinion...but i'm open to being wrong.

Though Buddhism doesn't necessarily believe in a Creator deity, they do proclaim dogmatic 'truths' based on or from the supernatural realm that isn't necessarily backed up by anything empirical.

Theism is guided by the dogma of its understandings of, or revelations to, a supernatural truth. 'Nirvana' in Buddhism seems to be the object of worship as an ultimate 'oneness' is with a deity in other religions.

Buddhism has its own theology. It is therefore inherently theistic. I don't believe an Atheist can also be a Theist,

Archived