The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

It seems I know a bunch of atheists and they all annoy me. They are on par, or worse, than self righteous christian right wing nut jobs.

Why can't everybody keep their beliefs to themselves or amongst their own group, it is really annoying. Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, beliefs are beliefs.

I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to express my agreement with VICanucksfan. Atheism is a particular word with a particular definition that concerns itself with non-belief in god. It is not a word that deals with a state of being.

People can be moral and amoral, and while closely associated, it is still not the same as being ethical or unethical. Similarly, a Buddhist sect with no belief in a supreme being is atheist, but not a-dogmatic. In other words atheism =/= non-religious. It just means... non-theist. To redefine atheism, first one needs to redefine theism.

For all atheists, where do your morals come from?

Do you believe in evil?

What is the meaning of life? Or better, does life have meaning?

A mass exodus from religious institutions is prophecied in the Bible. It culminates in them suddenly being shut down by the world's governments, and stripped of their wealth. I believe this will happen soon.

Revelation chapter 17.

For all atheists, where do your morals come from? Common sense and general respect for others. I learned Right vs. Wrong from my parents and others I interacted with, not from a 2000 year old book

Do you believe in evil? I believe that bad people can do bad things

What is the meaning of life? Or better, does life have meaning? Reproduce (ie. sex)

I remember you said Glen believes this too. Such a step completely unnecessary. Religion will be destroyed by information, not governments.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, religion will not be banned, it will simply be useless, even insulting to the average person and be relegated to the dark corners of society.

Yes, on its current trajectory, religion would likely die out on its own. However, the scripture says other motivations will be at play: God puts the idea into their minds (Revelation 17:16-17).

------------------------

Now...I don't expect anyone to suddenly believe that, because of what some poster wrote on a message board. However, this is an example of why I am religious, and why I think it's important not to "keep beliefs to yourself".

Most people, including many religious, believe it doesn't really matter what you believe, because it doesn't really have an affect on anything but your own mental space. 'Whatever helps you make sense of the world, and gets you through your day'. Although personal understanding and fulfillment are important, that's only a small part of why I am religious.

The message of the Bible is that changes are coming - whether you believe them or not, and whether you accept them or not. The things that it says will happen will affect every person on the planet. And whether these changes are good for a person or not will completely depend on whether they are prepared for them.

Again, I don't expect people to believe because of a message board post...but I will always tell others the bible is definitely worth looking into. If they disagree - even vehemently - that's fine, that's their right. But I'm not going to stop believing, or letting others know. I feel I have a personal responsibility.

For all atheists, where do your morals come from? One life to live. Everyone gets one shot. That makes murder wrong. Also, theft because that person wasted valuable time to get those things. I won't explain every rule, but it provides a moral base.

Do you believe in evil? No. Just misguided people who believe that they're doing what's best for themselves.

What is the meaning of life? Or better, does life have meaning? Further human race, make yourself and those you love happy, develop our shared human knowledge.

This is true, I've met so many annoying atheists, and this forum has a number of them as well.

You'd think for people that supposedly evolved their thinking they'd be smart enough to avoid the same pitfalls that beset religion. The more they try to differentiate themselves, the more they wind up looking the same.

Archived