The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Can Washington Be Our Trading Partner?

Pears

I think the Capitals are a serious underdog to land Luongo. I know they have Neuvirth and Holtby, but Washington may not be too keen on having those two as their tandem.

With acquiring Luongo, they would get one of the best goalies in the league, and a great mentor for one of their young goalies.

Who I think we should target from Washington: Nicklas Backstrom (unlikely), Marcus Johansson (young, skilled center, also Swedish), Troy Brouwer (Gritty BC Boy with a Ring), Karl Alzner (another BC Boy who's a solid D man) Joel Ward (playoff performer), Evgeni Kuznetsov (one of the Caps' top prospects)

Who do you think we can get from Washington for Luongo? And who else would we have to include in our package?

They aren't in a position where they'd part with anything of value for him. They are certainly happy starting the season with Holtby and Neuvirth or else they would have tried harder to keep Vokoun, although that could change if they don't perform. We won't get the pieces back we'd want for Luongo trading with Washington.

EDIT: Looking at their current team, they have most of it set with Carlson yet to sign, and $10M in cap space. Next year is a different story though, with Alzner, Johansson and both Neuvirth and Holtby being RFAs. They have UFAs to deal with too, but it means they don't need extra cap hit in Luongo when they already have all the players they need this year.

Before Holtby emerged in the playoffs this year, there might have been a chance, but not now.

MoJo is going to be a Capital for a long time, so are the 2 stud Dmen in Alzner and Carlson. They might become the best pairing D in the league in a few years. I don't see GMGM trading any of these guys. Particularly for a goalie that they don't necessarily need.

PPL who think Backstrom is going to get traded for a Luongo package have no clue what they are talking about, I read some posts in the main Luongo thread proposing this ludicrous idea.

I am a Luongo fan and I continue to think we will get a good package in return for him. But WSH will not give up these players.

Kuznetsov may never come over to play in the NHL so trading for him might not be a great idea. He recently committed to stay in Russia for 2 more years.

Kuznetsov is exactly the type of player the Canucks need. A game breaker. I would love to have him and WSH might trade him but with the new CBA set to lengthen ELC's I don't see him coming here any time soon.

I would want Kuznetsov but I am afraid he will just bolt to the KHL after he finds out hes not going to play on the same team as Ovi. I would LOVE Alzer, Carlsson, Johansson or Brouwer. But this is unlikely to happen since Holtby is going to breakout soon and they still have Neuvrith.

I think they would be viewed as a better trading partner due to a better selection of players, and they still have question marks in net. That said, they are in a group that likely is just kicking the tires and won't get serious until mid season IF Holtby and Neuvrith struggle.

That said again - would anyone be objected to a deal along the lines Brouwer (Gillis tried to acquire him from Chicago) + Kuznetsov + conditional 2015 pick (in event that Kuznetsov does not come over) for Luongo + Raymond (throw in to create roster space)

The Caps don't need a goalie. They're going into the season with Neuvirth and Holtby. End of story. Unless they both suck extensively into the season, the Caps won't be looking for a goalie. Their team is pretty much set at this point.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Wolski

Johansson - Ribeiro - Brouwer

Chimera - Laich - Ward

Perrault - Beagle - Hendricks

Crabb

Alzner - Carlson

Hamrlik - Green

Orlov - Schultz

Hillen/Erskine

Look at the bright side of the season possibly getting cancelled, we'll have a whole year to spitball more possible Luongo trades!

I would love to trade him to Washington for any of the players you listed. We can take Neuvirth back and let them have a highly paid backup behind a younger, better goalie. Basically make him their problem, not ours. Personally, I don't care where he goes and don't care what we get, as long as he goes. The sooner the better. I fell off the Luongo bandwagon a long time ago.

When you say "one of the best goalies in the league", do you mean he's top 3? Top 5? Top 10 or top 20?

"When a team have the chance to have a diamond like him, you keep him forever."

The New York Islanders and Florida Panthers sure didn't feel that way.

Archived