The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

permanent fix for the nhl

DEEZ_NUCKS

Get rid of private ownership and have the home city of each team assume ownership of the team with a panel of elected officals (nhl/home team alum) who select candidates for gm/coaching staff//// .. other than this and other circumstances they leave the day to day/majority of the big picture stuff to the pros they elect.. players agree give back to the community in the form of assisting with the local minor hockey association as well as other non hockey related stuff and they'r'e given some tax breaks/ a home in the community they're now playing for, school for thier children etc etc.. basically make them a part of the community, and a vital part at that because the revenue from the team will benefit them by benefiting the community they are now a part of.. all this money talk while necessary must leave a bad taste in thier mouth and not that this would eliminate the money dynamic but it would dull the edge a bit

The owners in most cities already leave the day-to-day stuff to the GM and other team officials. In most cities, they are already a part of the community.

In cities where the teams are losing money, you would be burdening taxpayers with paying for the losses. Many of those taxpayers aren't even fans of hockey, or even sports.

Having a team be community owned works in small pockets, but isn't a viable solution for all.

And where, exactly, do the cities get the money, resources and support to run these franchises?

Most, if not all, cities already have massive issues with tabling and sticking to a balanced budget. Running pro hockey franchises is not going to help this situation. Most buildings and facilities are privately owned creating more money issues with leases / rent.

23 franchises are located south of the border where the economy is way worse than here. Very few citizens would support public ownership of sports franchises in this economic climate.

No freakin' chance in hell does this ever happen.

:towel::canucks:

If the team doesn't make money, then it's a complete waste of tax money for the city. It would be unfair to waste tax money on sports teams who poor people can't afford to see.

Plus with all the idiots on CDC I don't really trust our fanbase to elect good management.

Of course it will never happen, but that doesn't mean it isn't a viable solution... civilizations after civilizations for thousands of years have for the most part provided thier citizenry with games, also why would you say that taxpayers are going to be shelling out to keep their team on the ice because I am sure our beloved sport wouldn't be available for our viewing pleasure if it is being paid for completely out of pocket (private pockets BTW. It is a business which generates revenue both directly and indirectly and tis profitable regardless of what the owners doctored books may say.. now if it became more of a my city against your city like a my school against your school (college sports) or a my country versus your country (olympics which i must assert started as a my city state versus your city state. I believe it would be far easier to market to a greatly enlarged market.. i for one take great pride in being a Vancouverite British Columbian Canadian.. Can you imagine the rivalries and the passion and the old style (now called playoff hockey only) hockey that would be played nightly.. they would become our cities invading or defending armies overnight fighting for our cities honour ,etc etc... blah blah blah OK my girlfriend needs my computer, but you think about that for a bit and get back to me

The owners in most cities already leave the day-to-day stuff to the GM and other team officials. In most cities, they are already a part of the community.

In cities where the teams are losing money, you would be burdening taxpayers with paying for the losses. Many of those taxpayers aren't even fans of hockey, or even sports.

Having a team be community owned works in small pockets, but isn't a viable solution for all.

Archived