The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

United Church of Canada Plan to Boycott Goods from Israeli Settlements

DonLever

I find this resolution extremely disappointing and hope the vote fails. Realistically, it probably won't. However, I will no longer be supporting anything that may have to do even remotely with the United Church of Canada (as in fundraisers for charities they support) as I cannot support their stance on this. Perhaps they should be addressing situations closer to home that really deserve their attention and keep their noses out of political situations in foreign countries.

I find this resolution extremely disappointing and hope the vote fails. Realistically, it probably won't. However, I will no longer be supporting anything that may have to do even remotely with the United Church of Canada (as in fundraisers for charities they support) as I cannot support their stance on this. Perhaps they should be addressing situations closer to home that really deserve their attention and keep their noses out of political situations in foreign countries.

Personally, I try my best to refrain from supporting many religious organizations in any way, including the United Church.

However, that is a perfect example of using your "dollar-votes" to support/reject whatever you feel is a worthy cause. A right that other individuals and organizations are just as free to exercise.

This particular boycott is for products made in Israeli settlements (not Israel exports in general). These have been criticized as illegal by a number of International bodies, and are almost always associated with rampant violations of human rights. And some of the things going on with these settlements are truly horrendous (such as purposely constructing garbage dumps directly over groundwater reservoirs, to destroy the water supply).

For more information about this, I recommend reading Noam Chomsky's Failed States:

failed-states-350.jpg

It's a great book (much better than 50 Shades, BB!). Very informative.

so his idea's are outdated , yet his statements are contemporary , is that an oxymoron ? you obviously believe in some of what he says otherwise you would not have posted something about him on these boards .

treating others the way you want to be treated yourself is timeless , and that is the bottom line of most of his teaching's

In general, his ideas are outdated and overly-idealistic. That particular statement was contemporary and dogmatic, which is why I find it surprising. I think he's beginning to realize just how far off track he's been for the last two decades or so. He's beginning to look outside his ivory tower and see what's going on the real world.

I posted it to clarify his opinion on the subject. That doesn't mean I'm a surporter of his.

Archived