The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Next Superstar Player(s) for the Canucks?

Burrrrkes

I love that you are trying to be realistic in not projecting a superstar, but is it realistic that all become top 6 or top 9 and that all our D become quality NHL defenceman?

To me its more likely we'll groom a superstar than all would make it. If one did, Schneider, Edler, Jensen and stab in the dark McNally would be my picks in order of chance...

To me Schneider has a very realistic crack and I would be pleasantly surprised if Edler evolved to that level. I see him as an exceptionally solid, but occasional all star not a superstar. On D you need either punishing size (Chara, Weber, Pronger) or breakout speed and puck handling to rush the puck (Niedermeyer, Doughty, Letang) as a hallmark. Edler hits, but does move bodies in front of the net nor is have significant speed. But? McNally is a dark horse, as rushing the puck is his signature, although it's waaaayyy early... Jensen has size, decent speed and skills, so there are fundamentals in place, but he has yet to be dynamic in junior or anything, just solid.

Kassian, Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Mallet should all be top six players some day or top 9 at worst Connauton, Price, McNally, Andersson, Corrado will likely not turn into stars but i expect them to be quality defencemen at the NHL level. Lack is almost NHL ready and Cannata is from Massachusetts and was one of the best goalies in all of US Collage Hockey... hmmm, who does this remind me of? the team doesn't need prospects projected to become 'superstars', we have a lot of solid prospects with good potential in the system.

As Burrows and Kesler can tell you anything can happen and while those two are not "Superstars" they are pretty close.

Most likely of the prospects to reach full Stardom is Schnieder and then Jensen close behind.

On the anything can happen front Jeff Friesen could grow 3" and 25 lbs. in the off-season and be a 6', 215 lb center who is dominant on faceoffs and can shut down the best Opposing centers. He also scores goals.

Jensen could figure it out in hurry and he already has good size, he will have to score a goal a game in the pre season to stick but you never know.

Eddie Lack is going to be a beast.

Alex Edler is going to evolve into a top 5 D-man in the league for the next 7-8 years.

Zack Kassian will grow into one of the most dominant power forwards in the league.

Cory Schneider at 26 still has 8-9 years of superstar level left in him.

This. Jensen has all the tools to be a 1st line sniper in this league. Definetly not in his first NHL season (albeit I'd be amazingly surprised if he was) but maybe he will be that player in 3-5 years. I could also see Kassian being a first line power forward (if he's developed properly), Gaunce being a David Krejci type player with size, and Rodin being a solid 2nd/3rd liner.

To be honest, the only two young players we have that I can picture actually becoming bona fide "superstars" are both goalies.

I hope one of our other guys, like Jensen, has a huge break out season and can become a superstar, but I don't think any of them are even close to being a sure thing... I've been sitting on my opinion of Kassian. It's too early to judge a deal like this, but it still looks reeaally bad on our end of the trade. It feels like Gillis is almost addressing an organizational need by planning for the future when the face of our team is going to be very different by the time these guys will be fully NHL-ready anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, a definition of "superstar" is required, for me. A superstar to me is Gretzky, Howe, Jagr, Lafleur, Dionne, Orr, Lemieux, Coffey, Roy. A superstar isn't necessarily all about skill, either.

The Canucks have 2 superstars of today in their lineup - The Twins.

The "next one" for our boys? Maybe Schneider, but, I honestly don't see anyone even remotely close in the organization to being a superstar.

Might one develop? Sure. If you look at all of the players listed above, though, they jumped right in and started to play at an elite level right after they were drafted. Bure and Linden are the only Canucks, that I can recall, who did this.

I think a superstar will have to be acquired via free agency or trade. Thing is though, a superstar won't win you a Cup. A well built team will... kinda like the one we have now.

The Canucks aren't far away. :bigblush:

:towel::canucks:

Archived