The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

What a game by my Pats.

First off wanna say how I’ve always thought Wilson is and has been the MVQ for many seasons now. This performance is just another reason adding to it; I don’t think there’s any better player to apply the term “heart and soul” to than him.

Second, man am I ever surprised by Cam’s play. I’ve always detested his throwing mechanics+habit of throwing off the back foot but it’s been barely noticeable these first 2 weeks. Back leg throws no where near as much as he used to in the past (just not sustainable or reliable no matter how powerful one is) and Al Michael’s even said during the commentating that he’s squaring up his shoulders leading to near perfect throws. 

But yea, what an awesome game! This is what football’s all about, add another Seahawks-Pats classic to the list!!

C88D326F-31BA-49CF-9CD4-73A965520863.thumb.jpeg.3fe8e01871f37deeafc0b7edb74483ff.jpeg

Couple more thoughts:

> very pleased with the Pats oline especially with Scarnecchia back in retirement again. Last time he walked away from the game, Pats oline looked completely discombobulated and Brady was getting all sorts of pressure before he came back a year or so later and went on more runs at the end of the TB12 era. So nice to see Bill and the team/staff have learned/adjusted this time around giving Cam all sorts of time+protection.

> similarly, very pleased with the job Jakob Johnson has done filling in for the now retired James Devlin. He’s a guy outside of NE not many knew the value of but McDaniel’s FB incorporated schemes were made doable because of James’ ability and reliability. Jakob transitioned to FB at times when Devlin was hurt but now taking the full time role, he’s giving just as much trust to keep things rolling. Tons of grit & determination, loving it !

> hindsight haha

> I tend to agree with this as well...not sure how sustainable 4WRs are with an always banged up Jules and scarce quality at the position. 

Edited by EP40.

6 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Came out on top. I always bet less on the underdog heavy parlay and more on the favourite heavy. The parlay I lost would’ve paid out 6x my bet. The parlay I won paid out 2.2x my bet. But the amount I put on the favourite heavy parlay was 3x more than the underdog gamble. 

The profit got rolled into my 2 afternoon bets anyways so let’s see if I can stay in the + heading into the night game which I’ll be betting on Seattle (emotional hedge)

I've actually never seen a parlay based on money lines before.  I wasn't sure how the parlay odds were calculated on this type of bet so I asked Mr. Google at:

https://www.sportsrec.com/calculate-money-line-parlays-7707555.html

According to this site, shouldn't the parlay you lost have paid about 9x your bet?

I'm not trying to be persnickity about your post - I'm trying to understand how the payoff on this type of bet  is calculated.   Thanks.

8 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I've actually never seen a parlay based on money lines before.  I wasn't sure how the parlay odds were calculated on this type of bet so I asked Mr. Google at:

https://www.sportsrec.com/calculate-money-line-parlays-7707555.html

According to this site, shouldn't the parlay you lost have paid about 9x your bet?

I'm not trying to be persnickity about your post - I'm trying to understand how the payoff on this type of bet  is calculated.   Thanks.

I believe you’re correct. I was going off memory when I posted that. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Forgot to mention:

WTF were the Falcons doing on that onside kick? :blink::picard:

Hard to blame them tbf. Tricky scenario b/c the ball looked like it wasn’t going to make it past 10 yards. As the receiving side, you never want to touch the ball early no matter how secure it looks. Last thing you do is try to, unable to hold on, and it bounces back to the kicking team without knowing if the ball would’ve even made it past the min requirement. So yea I get why the Atlanta players just watched it...never looked like it was making it.

Tip of the hat to Zuerlein. Probably the best onside kick I’ve ever seen in a big league game. The English on that was surreal !

Just now, EP40. said:

Hard to blame them tbf. Tricky scenario b/c the ball looked like it wasn’t going to make it past 10 yards. As the receiving side, you never want to touch the ball early no matter how secure it looks. Last thing you do is try to, unable to hold on, and it bounces back to the kicking team without knowing if the ball would’ve even made it past the min requirement. So yea I get why the Atlanta players just watched it...never looked like it was making it.

Tip of the hat to Zuerlein. Probably the best onside kick I’ve ever seen in a big league game. The English on that was surreal !

Disagree. In my years of playing, I would have jumped on that ball every time. It was an easy recovery.

4 hours ago, gmen81 said:

Is Russell Wilson the best QB in the NFL?

Yup. No one plays with more consistency than Russ. Best deep ball thrower in the league, he's making mediocre WRs look good. You can be blindfolded, stick your hands out and run in a straight line and Wilson can probably put it right on the money. Its incredible how he can throw the ball with different trajectories and be on target, full stride

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yess sir, almost single handedly lost the game right there on that 3rd and 1. As if Russ needed to pad his stats some more

The deep ball (as opposed to a quick out, or screen) was bad enough, but by throwing an incompletion, it also stops the clock. Run the ball and even if you don't get the 1st down, the clock continues to run and the Pats have to spend a time out.

Brutal play call....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, EP40. said:

I rewatched, EP, and I see your point.

I still think they should have realized they should jump on it as it got closer to 10 yards instead of waiting for it to cross, but I agree the first couple of guys were reluctant to gamble....

Also agree about Zuelein. I don't know if he practiced that, or if he got lucky, but you couldn't do it much better...

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

The Eagles look so lost that it's not even funny.

@Chip Kelly Do you think Hurts gets a chance if things start badly next week?

I don't think quite yet.  Pretty disgusted by Wentz's play his mechanics are as bad as Cam Newton from last season. He tries to strong arm everything and it sails high a bunch of the time. No touch at all.

Eagles seem to be an old team heading in the wrong direction who underestimated how badly they needed upgrades. The LB core is by far the worst in the league bar none with no starters injured.

I think they should bring back Nigel Bradham maybe. He was terrible against the pass but at the very least would filll the running gaps.

This team has major problems across the board they are a 7 win team at best this season as currently constructed. 

Don't be surprised if Joe Burrow and @Pears are enjoying a big first win come next Sunday.

Edited by Chip Kelly

On 9/20/2020 at 8:31 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

The Seahawks got the W, but once again, Pete Carroll makes an uber-stupid play call to help out the Pats...

3rd and 1 and you throw deep? :picard:

I love the Hawks.

They look great thus far.  Adams has been such a great acquisition.

And an offense that has been hard to watch at times the past few seasons - is finally attacking, more balanced, much harder to contain.

But damn.  I was fn furious when they went to the line at 3rd (edit - a Canadian slip = 4th)  and 1 - in the fn shotgun!

Not only do they not run the misdirection of appearing to run the ball - the obvious option - particularly when their power game was so solid all night - but they tip their hand by dropping Wilson into the shotgun.  Mindboggling. 

This is the kind of braincramp you never would have seen 20 years ago.  Fundamentally weak, no other way of putting it. 

Drives me nuts.

They got lucky that they didn't cost themselves that win, outsmarting themselves yet again.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I love the Hawks.

They look great thus far.  Adams has been such a great acquisition.

And an offense that has been hard to watch at times the past few seasons - is finally attacking, more balanced, much harder to contain.

But damn.  I was fn furious when they went to the line at 3rd and 1 - in the fn shotgun!

Not only do they not run the misdirection of appearing to run the ball - the obvious option - particularly when their power game was so solid all night - but they tip their hand by dropping Wilson into the shotgun.  Mindboggling. 

This is the kind of braincramp you never would have seen 20 years ago.  Fundamentally weak, no other way of putting it. 

Drives me nuts.

They got lucky that they didn't cost themselves that win, outsmarting themselves yet again.

I'm somewhat indifferent to the Hawks, even though I cheered for them back in the Zorn / Largent era....

....but I'm a football fan and it drives me nuts when teams shoot themselves in the foot. (Except when it's a team in the Bills' division, or the Cowboys) There's no other word for that play call: it was stupid. Just like the throw in the Super Bowl.

I honestly think the rest of Seattle's coaching staff should stage an intervention...."Okay Pete, whatever stupid call you're thinking of right now, think again!"