The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

15 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup. No one plays with more consistency than Russ. Best deep ball thrower in the league, he's making mediocre WRs look good. You can be blindfolded, stick your hands out and run in a straight line and Wilson can probably put it right on the money. Its incredible how he can throw the ball with different trajectories and be on target, full stride

My favorite quarterback of all time (NFL speaking here) was Dan Fouts.

He had the most unreal touch, ever.  Snap, one step back, "La Lob" - and it was unreal, the precision with which he could drop a ball - that had a higher trajectory than it did distance - into the arms of a WR at full speed.  Borderline unstoppable. 

Wilson is pretty damn good at this himself - and with respect to him - Fouts did that forever...If Wilson keeps it up, he 'could' put himself in that kind of class, as one of the great 'finesse' passers.

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm somewhat indifferent to the Hawks, even though I cheered for them back in the Zorn / Largent era....

....but I'm a football fan and it drives me nuts when teams shoot themselves in the foot. (Except when it's a team in the Bills' division, or the Cowboys) There's no other word for that play call: it was stupid. Just like the throw in the Super Bowl.

I honestly think the rest of Seattle's coaching staff should stage an intervention...."Okay Pete, whatever stupid call you're thinking of right now, think again!"

I've always been a 'west-coast' NFL 'fan' - so it's always been Seattle, and when they were hopeless, I loved the Chargers back in the day...

A 3rd and 1 deep is the kind of thing that is understandable - when properly disguised - and more importantly, when it's unpredictable.  And perhaps as importantly, when the (lower) odds of completion don't come at such a fundamentally bad time to gamble.

Pete did neither - the play wasn't a misdirection, it was borderline telegraphed - and his 'unconventional' thing is ironically, getting predictable.

Too much 'swagger' / confidence / boldness - not enough simple, cards-close-to-the-chest strategic prudence imo.

Otherwise I love watching that team - because for me, 'defense' - at least good defense, is for the most part about attacking with prudence - which I think they do (and they have the personnel to do so) - and offensively, if I know what you're going to do, I hate your style.  They're finally running an offense that keeps their opponent off balance - which when you have a Russell Wilson, solid enough o-line, decent running back and serviceable receivers, should be relatively second-nature.   They are much more 'pleasing' to watch thus far - not just because of the wins - but because they look like they've improved off the field......and then....they pull that shotgun 3rd and 1 at a critical time....and I'm like, "FK, old habits die hard!".  It almost looks as if he felt he 'had to 'double-down' on the SB gaffe - to try to recover some ego or something.  Annoying af.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Raiders stadium looks great.

Vegas is a perfect place for the raider nation, grownups that dress up like kids!

Pretty good game too. Waller was like a man amongst boys out there, B!tch slapping DBs and LBs covering him. Jacobs did a great job killing the clock and it was obvious M.Thomas was sorely missed. From what Ive seen so far, Ruggs hasn't looked very impressive

A useful lesson for those who bet on football games:

****************************************************************************************

It’s never over until it’s over.

While many have called the Dallas Cowboys' comeback against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday miraculous, for one unlucky bettor it was a devastating turn of events.

A dreadful performance in the first quarter put the Cowboys in an early 20-0 hole, and it seemed any time the offense would pick up some momentum, the Dallas defense would be unable to stop the Falcons to help close the gap.

According to BetMGM, with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter -- while the Falcons were leading the Cowboys, 39-24 -- Atlanta’s odds on the in-game money line were -3333.

And with what appeared to be a sure thing, someone placed a bet worth $35,000 on the Falcons to win -- which would have only won them $1,050.

Everyone knows how this story ends.

After a pair of touchdowns in the final five minutes, a mesmerizing onside kick, and an ice cold game-winner from Greg Zuerlein, the Cowboys sealed the fate of one terribly bad beat.

“We weren’t supposed to win that game,” Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott said.

There’s at least one other person out there who would agree.

+++

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/09/21/cowboys-miraculous-win-over-falcons-cost-one-unlucky-bettor-35000/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=SportsDay+s+Michael+Gehlken+breaks+down+one+improbable+play+-+and+stat+-+that+gave+Dallas+a+chance+vs++the+Falcons+-+Your+Cowboys+Catch-Up&utm_campaign=Cowboys_09222020&vgo_ee=46G8bPW%2BhKh40Fhdw4JRd%2FlMy%2BOWWuyaZunZiCXh6gI%3D

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

A useful lesson for those who bet on football games:

****************************************************************************************

It’s never over until it’s over.

While many have called the Dallas Cowboys' comeback against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday miraculous, for one unlucky bettor it was a devastating turn of events.

A dreadful performance in the first quarter put the Cowboys in an early 20-0 hole, and it seemed any time the offense would pick up some momentum, the Dallas defense would be unable to stop the Falcons to help close the gap.

According to BetMGM, with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter -- while the Falcons were leading the Cowboys, 39-24 -- Atlanta’s odds on the in-game money line were -3333.

And with what appeared to be a sure thing, someone placed a bet worth $35,000 on the Falcons to win -- which would have only won them $1,050.

Everyone knows how this story ends.

After a pair of touchdowns in the final five minutes, a mesmerizing onside kick, and an ice cold game-winner from Greg Zuerlein, the Cowboys sealed the fate of one terribly bad beat.

“We weren’t supposed to win that game,” Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott said.

There’s at least one other person out there who would agree.

+++

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/09/21/cowboys-miraculous-win-over-falcons-cost-one-unlucky-bettor-35000/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=SportsDay+s+Michael+Gehlken+breaks+down+one+improbable+play+-+and+stat+-+that+gave+Dallas+a+chance+vs++the+Falcons+-+Your+Cowboys+Catch-Up&utm_campaign=Cowboys_09222020&vgo_ee=46G8bPW%2BhKh40Fhdw4JRd%2FlMy%2BOWWuyaZunZiCXh6gI%3D

Invest 35k to make a Grand? :wacko:

Sounds like a Trump investment policy....

On 9/21/2020 at 2:53 PM, Chip Kelly said:

I don't think quite yet.  Pretty disgusted by Wentz's play his mechanics are as bad as Cam Newton from last season. He tries to strong arm everything and it sails high a bunch of the time. No touch at all.

Eagles seem to be an old team heading in the wrong direction who underestimated how badly they needed upgrades. The LB core is by far the worst in the league bar none with no starters injured.

I think they should bring back Nigel Bradham maybe. He was terrible against the pass but at the very least would filll the running gaps.

This team has major problems across the board they are a 7 win team at best this season as currently constructed. 

Don't be surprised if Joe Burrow and @Pears are enjoying a big first win come next Sunday.

We need to get our deep attack and run game going so if we do that I think we’ll be ok. 

9 hours ago, Pears said:

We need to get our deep attack and run game going so if we do that I think we’ll be ok. 

I think you'll be okay even without the deep ball. Both of our lines haven't done a whole lot, and there are big gaps in coverage that can be exploited.

On 9/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, oldnews said:

I love the Hawks.

They look great thus far.  Adams has been such a great acquisition.

And an offense that has been hard to watch at times the past few seasons - is finally attacking, more balanced, much harder to contain.

But damn.  I was fn furious when they went to the line at 3rd (edit - a Canadian slip = 4th)  and 1 - in the fn shotgun!

Not only do they not run the misdirection of appearing to run the ball - the obvious option - particularly when their power game was so solid all night - but they tip their hand by dropping Wilson into the shotgun.  Mindboggling. 

This is the kind of braincramp you never would have seen 20 years ago.  Fundamentally weak, no other way of putting it. 

Drives me nuts.

They got lucky that they didn't cost themselves that win, outsmarting themselves yet again.

Great aquisition, well worth the assets they gave up, and Pete is using him to his strengths putting him in the box every so often. He's added a bit of personality to the Hawks D, you can tell they are feeding off of him

Can't wait to see Jeudy, how he performs as a #1 WR in Denver and if Claypool has an encore performance for the Steelers. Chase Claypool is a player we should all be rooting for! Gonna be a good one

Has anyone tried unplugging and plugging in the Falcons? 

Big W for us (wouldn’t say our defense deserved it) as we head into KC next week. At least at worse we can leave there 2-2. 

Josh Allen has big d*ck energy but that defense has 5’2 guy driving a lifted pick up d*ck energy. Terrible DPI call on the Rams CB in my opinion.

Do the Giants trade Jones and go for Lawrence? They have nothing this season. 

Bill O’Brien needs to go. And next job - pick being a HC or GM, he’s trying to be Belichick and he’s not. 

• Haha 1