The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

On 11/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Detroit Lions. Will they ever be good? 

No, they will not.

They have sucked since Barry Sanders left, a couple of seasons early, and were not that good before then either.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

Jalen Hurts finally starting to get first team reps in practice... how long will Eagles wait till they are forced to bench Wentz through bad play or outright injury?

He has taken so  many hits this year yet has not missed snaps like in the past. I am shocked he hasn't gotten injured yet despite getting rocked pretty good a few times on sacks.

I know they are stuck with him until 2022 at the earliest thanks to his contract and the huge dead cap he leaves behind if he gets traded or cut.

Even Derek Carr got benched today and he has been playing much better than Wentz overall. How is the Eagles d supposed to have any respect for Pederson  unless he benches Wentz and holds him accountable for being a part of the offensive struggles?

I feel like Wentz would do much better in Indy with Frank Reich and take over with Philly Rivs retiring home to his 9 kids.

Just start Hurts for a whole game he can't do much worse than Wentz right now.

It might actually give Caroll and the Seahawks something to prepare for since nobody including the Eagles knows what a Jalen Hurts led Eagles offense actually looks like.

This Eagles offence needs a spark maybe a special teams play to get them going. Do something now because pretending that starting Wentz every week gives you the best chance to be 1-0 each week and win a football game is laughable to suggest.

Wentz isn't the whole problem but he is the easiest in season change to make if they hope to salvage a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Same boat as ya. Kendall Hinton is gonna have a better game as a QB than Newton 

Brandon Wilson, our kick returner, had more yards and the same amount of TDs Brandon Allen had...:unsure:

Edited by Pears

On 11/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Detroit Lions. Will they ever be good? 

How about the Bears?   Lost 5 games in a row.  Coach Nagy and GM Pace may be next in line to be fired.   Especially Pace, the genius who picked Trubisky over Mahomnes when drafting a QB.

Bears' Matt Nagy Says He's Not Worried About Job Security After Loss to Packers | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

5 hours ago, DonLever said:

How about the Bears?   Lost 5 games in a row.  Coach Nagy and GM Pace may be next in line to be fired.   Especially Pace, the genius who picked Trubisky over Mahomnes when drafting a QB.

Bears' Matt Nagy Says He's Not Worried About Job Security After Loss to Packers | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

The Bears give you glimmers of hope every now and then.

14 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Jalen Hurts finally starting to get first team reps in practice... how long will Eagles wait till they are forced to bench Wentz through bad play or outright injury?

He has taken so  many hits this year yet has not missed snaps like in the past. I am shocked he hasn't gotten injured yet despite getting rocked pretty good a few times on sacks.

I know they are stuck with him until 2022 at the earliest thanks to his contract and the huge dead cap he leaves behind if he gets traded or cut.

Even Derek Carr got benched today and he has been playing much better than Wentz overall. How is the Eagles d supposed to have any respect for Pederson  unless he benches Wentz and holds him accountable for being a part of the offensive struggles?

I feel like Wentz would do much better in Indy with Frank Reich and take over with Philly Rivs retiring home to his 9 kids.

Just start Hurts for a whole game he can't do much worse than Wentz right now.

It might actually give Caroll and the Seahawks something to prepare for since nobody including the Eagles knows what a Jalen Hurts led Eagles offense actually looks like.

This Eagles offence needs a spark maybe a special teams play to get them going. Do something now because pretending that starting Wentz every week gives you the best chance to be 1-0 each week and win a football game is laughable to suggest.

Wentz isn't the whole problem but he is the easiest in season change to make if they hope to salvage a playoff spot.

I think Wentz seeing the game from the bench might actually help him too.

We're still making adjustments to our scrap bin O-line, so I'm thinking that might be a concern for playing Hurts.

Refs are making some bad calls (early sack call on Wentz, the non-call for grounding), but the game is closer than I thought it would be. 

Wentz missed an open target (wasn't looking) for a big play, but that could be due to a lack of confidence in the o-line.

Edit: make it two big plays not thrown.

Edit: I think I see why the Seahawks give up a lot of yards to good QBs, Wentz just can't take what is there.

This Seattle team reminds me a lot of last year's; they might win one playoff game, but wouldn't consider them a threat to go far 

Last edit: Eagles need a revamped o-line and some actual weapons on offense, which is probably a few drafts away. 

Edited by c00kies

It is hard to believe Philly won the Super Bowl in 2017 as they now bear little semblance to that winning team.   Some say it was a fluke they won in 2017 and that is probably true as they are certainly not a dynasty.

Carl Wentz is over rated as it was Nick Foles was the QB that won that SB.  Wentz is not an accurate passer and commit too many turnovers.

They should try out Jalen Hurts to see where he fit into the team scheme.  Did the Eagles draft Hurts because they are not sold on Wentz?  If so, give him a chance.  After all, anyone who finished 2nd to Joe Burrows in Heisman Trophy voting can't be all bad.

9 hours ago, DonLever said:

It is hard to believe Philly won the Super Bowl in 2017 as they now bear little semblance to that winning team.   Some say it was a fluke they won in 2017 and that is probably true as they are certainly not a dynasty.

Carl Wentz is over rated as it was Nick Foles was the QB that won that SB.  Wentz is not an accurate passer and commit too many turnovers.

They should try out Jalen Hurts to see where he fit into the team scheme.  Did the Eagles draft Hurts because they are not sold on Wentz?  If so, give him a chance.  After all, anyone who finished 2nd to Joe Burrows in Heisman Trophy voting can't be all bad.

I'm far from a football expert and I don't watch the Eagles every week but I don't think this is simply a QB issue. There's no protection and no playmakers on that roster. It looks like the D-Line just counts off a couple steamboats before they're all up in Wentz' business. You can see him anticipate hits that aren't coming or get shy about stepping up in the pocket because the O-line is just so bad. Wentz is a bigger dude who's taken hits before too, I don't think it's an issue of him being too soft. The receivers aren't good enough to get open in the very limited time the offensive line provides Wentz, who was also their leading rusher last night if I'm not mistaken. What's he to do about that?

I'm not saying Wentz is a great QB or anything but I think he's a helluva lot better than what he's shown this season.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, DonLever said:

I wouldn't say it was a fluke, as much as the team wasn't built to be good for long.

In 2017, Wentz was MVP of the league, and almost won that despite missing 3 games. The Eagles had a strong o-line and d-line, and were able to run by committee.

We had competent receivers, but Agholor would have been considered our number one.

The defense wasn't that great (the secondary got exposed if the d-line couldn't provide pressure), but it got the job done most times.

Currently, the Eagles don't really have anything. The defense is okay, but nothing special. The offense is abysmal, but that's due to an old, injured o-line and lack of talent.

The drafting has been brutal, especially with top picks (Whiteside and Raegor instead of Metcalf and Jefferson). You get either of those two (should really have both) and you have a game plan to build around. Right now we just have individuals, where some can make the odd play, but nothing consistent (even Fulgham has come back to reality).

The Eagles have more holes to fill than college guys on spring break, and they might have to start selling off pieces (Cox as an example) to try to become a team again.

Edited by c00kies
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm far from a football expert and I don't watch the Eagles every week but I don't think this is simply a QB issue. There's no protection and no playmakers on that roster. It looks like the D-Line just counts off a couple steamboats before they're all up in Wentz' business. You can see him anticipate hits that aren't coming or get shy about stepping up in the pocket because the O-line is just so bad. Wentz is a bigger dude who's taken hits before too, I don't think it's an issue of him being too soft. The receivers aren't good enough to get open in the very limited time the offensive line provides Wentz, who was also their leading rusher last night if I'm not mistaken. What's he to do about that?

I'm not saying Wentz is a great QB or anything but I think he's a helluva lot better than what he's shown this season.

Exactly, no QB could succeed with this offense. Need to support him better and then see if he can get out of this funk in the next two seasons, I doubt he has any confidence left.

Still would like to see Hurts more, if only for a different perspective or game plan, but it is dangerous to put a young QB behind a line that can't get the job done.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

Exactly, no QB could succeed with this offense. Need to support him better and then see if he can get out of this funk in the next two seasons, I doubt he has any confidence left.

Still would like to see Hurts more, if only for a different perspective or game plan, but it is dangerous to put a young QB behind a line that can't get the job done.

That’s all I could think of watching the game

last night. It would’ve been like the Canucks throwing Demko in as the starter for the 2016-17 season. Just a disaster. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

That’s all I could think of watching the game

last night. It would’ve been like the Canucks throwing Demko in as the starter for the 2016-17 season. Just a disaster. 

Yeah, like that blowout loss to Anaheim that Eriksson had to be in net for (the 7 minute 5 on 3 game).

The Eagles are on the Jets level of bad, but we have enough pieces to barely prevent being perfect losers.

A miracle win against the Giants, a win over a third string Cowboys team, a win over a backup QB in the 49ers (probably the Eagles best win of the season), and a tie against a Bengals team that is still a couple years away from hitting their prime. Easily could have been where the Jets are.

I think the biggest need is an offensive coordinator, as we need someone that can get creative. When we lost Frank Reich, we lost a big piece of our offense, and you can tell the play calling is just not confident in the team.

• Cheers 1