The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

19 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Eagles finally bench Wentz and Reagor comes alive @c00kies @Xbox?

Coincidence? :emot-parrot:

Wentz is done in Philly. The acl injury and Foles sb pressure is too much for him. 

Hurts/Sanders/Reagor are the future. Add playmakers around them. 

Philly should get Ertz outta there too. Dude looking washed. 

• Like 1

Just now, Van40 said:

Wentz is done in Philly. The acl injury and Foles sb pressure is too much for him. 

Hurts/Sanders/Reagor are the future. Add playmakers around them. 

Philly should get Ertz outta there too. Dude looking washed. 

Apparently when they drafted Hurts it crushed his confidence because he thought they didn't fully believe in him anymore despite getting the team in the playoffs down the stretch last year, before getting rocked by Clowney. How can you put all your eggs in one basket trusting a guy to play smart and protect himself that has shown that he plays reckless and gets injured every season.

I understand the logic for Roseman, they might have beat the Seahawks last year if their backup qb isn't 40 year old Josh McCown who tears a hamstring trying to run and instead they have a competent backup qb like Hurts.

Hurts is so much more mobile and smoother on the move than Wentz the Eagles need his mobility since the OL is not holding up help to buy time to get receivers to uncover.

But yeah I dont see Wentz turning it around in Philly he is mentally broken and mechanically as a qb as well. They need to start to prepare for the exit strategy when his contract becomes more tradeable in a couple more years.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Apparently when they drafted Hurts it crushed his confidence because he thought they didn't fully believe in him anymore despite getting the team in the playoffs down the stretch last year, before getting rocked by Clowney. How can you put all your eggs in one basket trusting a guy to play smart and protect himself that has shown that he plays reckless and gets injured every season.

I understand the logic for Roseman, they might have beat the Seahawks last year if their backup qb isn't 40 year old Josh McCown who tears a hamstring trying to run and instead they have a competent backup qb like Hurts.

Hurts is so much more mobile and smoother on the move than Wentz the Eagles need his mobility since the OL is not holding up help to buy time to get receivers to uncover.

But yeah I dont see Wentz turning it around in Philly he is mentally broken and mechanically as a qb as well. They need to start to prepare for the exit strategy when his contract becomes more tradeable in a couple more years.

So much guaranteed money to Wentz though. I'll play a bit of devil's advocate and say that you can build the team better around the qb, so whoever has to come in has weapons.

The Eagles have a lot of holes and probably need 3 solid drafts to get going again. 

I get the potential mental edge of going up 3-0 but you aren't beating the Chiefs with fgs.

Teams should go for it on 4th downs more often. 

Aaaand the Chiefs just settled for a fg to make it 10-6 instead of going for it lol

Edited by Van40

5 hours ago, c00kies said:

So much guaranteed money to Wentz though. I'll play a bit of devil's advocate and say that you can build the team better around the qb, so whoever has to come in has weapons.

The Eagles have a lot of holes and probably need 3 solid drafts to get going again. 

Oh I agree the team has to be built better around whoever is going to be the qb long term.

To be clear I am not saying Wentz is out right away and Hurts should be the permanent starter. 

I am saying bench Wentz the rest of the season because putting him out there only to get hurt late in the season is bad for both the Eagles and Wentz.

Need Wentz to be healthy and come back next year at camp ready to compete for the #1 qb job of he is mentally  up for it. (Eagles have no choice unless he voluntarily agrees to restructuring his contract to help facilitate a trade to keep him on the active roster for another 2 years.

Meanwhile the Eagles need to start getting rid of these over the hill deadweight veterans like Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson. (Cut both)

Trade Ertz to any team willing to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick and save more cap space.

Replace Jalen Mills at strong safety with Keanu Neal from the Falcons in free agency assuming the Eagles have cap room to sign 1 impact guy.

Draft a CB in round 2 who can start on the outside opposite Slay. Move Avonte Maddox inside to the nickel permanently. 

Go BPA in the 3rd round either an LB,OL,or DL piece preferably. 

That would be a decent start imo but obviously not everything can be fixed in a single offseason.

They need to string together at minimum 2 good drafts in a row at least similar to 2012 and 2013 when they built up their core for the 2017 Superbowl team.

Think of all the impact guys who came from those two drafts alone who played a role on the Super Bowl team.

Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Nick Foles, Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, Mychal Kendricks etc.

I think it is pretty obvious Eagles need to retool. I am just worried that the Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie will probably just make Doug Pederson the fall guy to save Howie Roseman's job as GM yet again. Lurie trusts Roseman so implicitly due to their shared Jewish backgrounds. Howie Roseman is basically like a son to Lurie so I dont see him being able to have the balls to fire him. Last time he was only temporarily demoted after his power struggle with Chip Kelly. If anything, sadly the most likeliest outcome is that they will try to hire another personnel guy to help oversee the draft and cover Roseman's ass.

Edited by Chip Kelly

20 hours ago, gurn said:

Is the draft pick worth it?

Given the 1st round pick is an once in a generation franchise QB in Trevor Lawrence, the answer is a  simple yes.   Lawrence is considered one of the best high school QB prospects in history and was the top recruit for college.  6'6" and can run and pass.

Considering the Jets remaining schedule is against difficult opponents, the Jets have an excellent chance of getting the number 1 pick.   Funny they nearly blew their chance of getting  the top pick when they almost beat the Raiders on Sunday.  Raiders beat the Jets when they scored a touchdown with 5 seconds left.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Oh I agree the team has to be built better around whoever is going to be the qb long term.

To be clear I am not saying Wentz is out right away and Hurts should be the permanent starter. 

I am saying bench Wentz the rest of the season because putting him out there only to get hurt late in the season is bad for both the Eagles and Wentz.

Need Wentz to be healthy and come back next year at camp ready to compete for the #1 qb job of he is mentally  up for it. (Eagles have no choice unless he voluntarily agrees to restructuring his contract to help facilitate a trade to keep him on the active roster for another 2 years.

Meanwhile the Eagles need to start getting rid of these over the hill deadweight veterans like Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson. (Cut both)

Trade Ertz to any team willing to give up a 3rd or 4th round pick and save more cap space.

Replace Jalen Mills at strong safety with Keanu Neal from the Falcons in free agency assuming the Eagles have cap room to sign 1 impact guy.

Draft a CB in round 2 who can start on the outside opposite Slay. Move Avonte Maddox inside to the nickel permanently. 

Go BPA in the 3rd round either an LB,OL,or DL piece preferably. 

That would be a decent start imo but obviously not everything can be fixed in a single offseason.

They need to string together at minimum 2 good drafts in a row at least similar to 2012 and 2013 when they built up their core for the 2017 Superbowl team.

Think of all the impact guys who came from those two drafts alone who played a role on the Super Bowl team.

Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Nick Foles, Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, Mychal Kendricks etc.

I think it is pretty obvious Eagles need to retool. I am just worried that the Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie will probably just make Doug Pederson the fall guy to save Howie Roseman's job as GM yet again. Lurie trusts Roseman so implicitly due to their shared Jewish backgrounds. Howie Roseman is basically like a son to Lurie so I dont see him being able to have the balls to fire him. Last time he was only temporarily demoted after his power struggle with Chip Kelly. If anything, sadly the most likeliest outcome is that they will try to hire another personnel guy to help oversee the draft and cover Roseman's ass.

Wentz mechanics haven't been very good this year, so I wouldn't mind them sitting with him and improving those because they are a big reason for his inaccuracies, but this would mean Hurts as starter (usually you don't try to change/improve mechanics during the season, so Wentz would probably have to sit for this).

However, a lot of those problems are footwork (not pointing at the target and overstepping), so I'm not sure if it's because he feels rushed or because he didn't have the off-season and pre-season to train with the coaches (which is a big problem for a lot of players).

19 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

How do you lose to the Giants backup qb at home where they were undefeated so far with the Giants having to travel across the country?

Fix was in or Wilson was planning private dinner with Ciara a little too early. They must have overlooked them.

Biggest upset of the entire season crushed a lot of people's day fantasy/betting wise.

Massively overlooked. Some of the blame should go on Pete. There was a play in the first half, 4th and 1 around the 36 yrd line. Thats a 51 yrd ish field goal which most teams would take or simply go for it. Hawks decided to take a delay of game and punt thinking the Giants can be beat just by playing field position. Clearly the team underestimated the Giants. Simply no excuse to losing to a team that hasnt beaten anybody with a winning record, flying west, with their backup QB.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

Given the 1st round pick is an once in a generation franchise QB in Trevor Lawrence, the answer is a  simple yes.   Lawrence is considered one of the best high school QB prospects in history and was the top recruit for college.  6'6" and can run and pass.

Considering the Jets remaining schedule is against difficult opponents, the Jets have an excellent chance of getting the number 1 pick.   Funny they nearly blew their chance of getting  the top pick when they almost beat the Raiders on Sunday.  Raiders beat the Jets when they scored a touchdown with 5 seconds left.

I hope Lawrence stays in college if Adam Gase is still the coach. Gase in no way shape or form deserves a coaching job in the league, or in college. He'll be just fine in an adult rec flag football team. He will single-handedly destroy Trevor Lawrence's career

12 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Massively overlooked. Some of the blame should go on Pete. There was a play in the first half, 4th and 1 around the 36 yrd line. Thats a 51 yrd ish field goal which most teams would take or simply go for it. Hawks decided to take a delay of game and punt thinking the Giants can be beat just by playing field position. Clearly the team underestimated the Giants. Simply no excuse to losing to a team that hasnt beaten anybody with a winning record, flying west, with their backup QB.

It seems the Seahawks still think they are an elite team, believe they can just show up and beat the lesser teams.

It is taking way too long for them to realize they are a team that can win most games, only if they play hard and smart.

5 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

I hope Lawrence stays in college if Adam Gase is still the coach. Gase in no way shape or form deserves a coaching job in the league, or in college. He'll be just fine in an adult rec flag football team. He will single-handedly destroy Trevor Lawrence's career

“Hey Jets fans, we heard you’re pretty excited about Trevor Lawrence. Well too bad you dumb sons of bi***es. Buckle up your seatbelts because here comes even MORE Frank Gore!”

9 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Call me crazy but.

NE Remaining schedule:

@ Rams - L

@ MIA - W

Vs BUF - W

Vs NYJ - W

Finish 9-7

BUF remaining schedule:

@ SF - L

Vs PIT - L

@ DEN - W

@ NE - L

Vs MIA - L

Finish 9-7

MIA remaining schedule:

Vs KC - L

Vs NE - L

@ LV - L

@ BUF - W

Finish 9-7

It could happen, but I see Miami beating LV and Buffalo just beat San fran (not surprised since they have regressed this year).

9 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Adam Gase will be fired at the end of the season for sure.  Any coach that finishes 0-16 or 1-15 (if he manages a fluke win) is guaranteed a pink slip.

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Call me crazy but.

NE Remaining schedule:

@ Rams - L

@ MIA - W

Vs BUF - W

Vs NYJ - W

Finish 9-7

BUF remaining schedule:

@ SF - L

Vs PIT - L

@ DEN - W

@ NE - L

Vs MIA - L

Finish 9-7

MIA remaining schedule:

Vs KC - L

Vs NE - L

@ LV - L

@ BUF - W

Finish 9-7

I think your scenario is already shot with Buffalo beating SF tonight.   Buffalo is not going to lose 4 in a row.  Especially to lowly Denver.